Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Maximum Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=688)
-   -   Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review - Slow But Steady Progress (/forums/showthread.php?t=976741)

ChaseB 09-30-2020 07:39 PM

Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review - Slow But Steady Progress

With the current landscape still void of college football video games, the folks at Canuck Play...

Written By: Robert Kollars

Click here to view the article.

King of Kings 10-01-2020 06:32 AM

Very fair review. Well done.

oldmanonsilvercreek 10-01-2020 10:15 AM

Best and most accurate review i have read in a very long time. You hit on the very things that I also feel are holding this game back. In its present form no matter how I set the sliders to* bring about more of a defensive presence,* I find it far to easy to score and be scored upon. My games are high scoring and usually come down to who has the ball last or who has* fumbled the most.
Love the customization in this game as well.
As you mentioned,* the physics are enjoyable to watch at times but at other times I am shocked at the hilarious things I see.*
Presentation is even a bigger issue with me. Granted I fully understand getting the gameplay right is a higher priority at this point but there could at least be some effort put into presentation. One can look at Axis football which has a small team with limited resources but yet they at least have commentary* to keep you somewhat involved in the game.*

I will continue however to buy and support this game because there really is a void for a game like this.*
Also the producers actually listen to their customers and have a genuine desire to improve their product and get a standing ovation from me for the support and effort they have shown.*
I know at this pace it will be a few more years before I call even call this game " good" but they are certainly heading in the right direction and have shown and proven their desire to improve and have shown they are working hard to try to do just that and I believe they will get there in time and we all will benefit.
So keep pushing and keep up the good work. Rome wasn't built in a day a day. You will get there.

thescoop 10-01-2020 12:03 PM

A solid and fair review. I definitely would encourage more folks to purchase the game so they can keep making strides in improving the title. This game, while not quite there yet, is worthy of your investment. It is fun and if you do purchase the game you should view it as an investment in the team's future. I can say the upgrades from 19 to 20 already show that with proper investment from gamers this title will keep improving.*

Kanobi 10-01-2020 12:06 PM

Good read! I'm sure Canuck has their next dev cycle mapped out already and are navigating* COVID* restrictions as well. Still, it is clear the on field gameplay and presentation* as well as the UI should be THEE focus for MF21.*

They are close to something really special. I actually would love to see what they could do with a franchise mode for the pro league option. But not before* the on field aspect is greatly improved and made more immersive.

ohio_bobcat_06 10-01-2020 08:51 PM

Re: Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review - Slow But Steady Progress

I understand about the pro option, but I think they have a niche with college. People are really wanting a college game. That’s the big reason I’m supporting them for example. Pro option is being done by axis football already.

Don’t get me wrong, not that maximum can’t go that way at some point, but don’t forget what got them here. Keep improving gameplay and presentation now. As those get better the other can be worked in. It would be nice to be able to bring a coach or players into pro, similar to the ncaa and madden games.

Spear 10-02-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanobi (Post 2050227099)
Good read! I'm sure Canuck has their next dev cycle mapped out already and are navigating* COVID* restrictions as well. Still, it is clear the on field gameplay and presentation* as well as the UI should be THEE focus for MF21.*

They are close to something really special. I actually would love to see what they could do with a franchise mode for the pro league option. But not before* the on field aspect is greatly improved and made more immersive.

As we head to the new consoles we'll be improving UI and visuals. We didn't want to invest time and resources into this area of the game with a brand new generation of consoles around the corner. We want to set ourselves up for the next 8 years.

Spear 10-02-2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohio_bobcat_06 (Post 2050227473)
I understand about the pro option, but I think they have a niche with college. People are really wanting a college game. That’s the big reason I’m supporting them for example. Pro option is being done by axis football already.

Don’t get me wrong, not that maximum can’t go that way at some point, but don’t forget what got them here. Keep improving gameplay and presentation now. As those get better the other can be worked in. It would be nice to be able to bring a coach or players into pro, similar to the ncaa and madden games.

We actually had a Franchise Mode in development for 2020 that would sync up with the College Dynasty Mode. We had to scrap it unfortunately because the dev we were using was creating an infrastructure that wasn't taking into certain console requirements into consideration.

Finding devs (contract or hire) has been a challenge. There aren't a lot of folks that have experience with sports games or building games for the consoles. Sony and Microsoft bring a unique set of challenges with their infrastructure.