Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   All Pro Football 2K (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Why can't 2k make a similar game for Next Gen? (/forums/showthread.php?t=977413)

Blitzburgh 10-14-2020 08:57 PM

Why can't 2k make a similar game for Next Gen?

Besides the obvious, that the programmers have all moved on and the code is outdated why can't 2k put together a team and make a Next Gen All Pro 2k21? Now more than ever is the window wide open for their next game. My favorite thing about this game is I feel in control of my players in every aspect. In almost every game I see something that is as close to real football as you can get. My last game it was 4th and 1 and they came to the line trying to draw me offsides! I've never seen that in Madden. Also, the challenge system while not perfect is way better than the other game. Kick off return blocking is much better but Punt returns are not that great as the ball hangs too long not allowing you much time to make a move. Not to mention, custom camera angles really make the game more enjoyable if you like a more sideline/diagonal type view. Oh well, wishful thinking I guess.

Balldude777 10-15-2020 02:27 PM

Re: Why can't 2k make a similar game for Next Gen?

I wonder if they would be able to make it with the NFLPA roster along with legends. As long as the fake teams and the same concept of drafting a team is used, would they be able to still create a "simulation" type game then?

RACZILLA 10-18-2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzburgh (Post 2050238511)
Besides the obvious, that the programmers have all moved on and the code is outdated why can't 2k put together a team and make a Next Gen All Pro 2k21? Now more than ever is the window wide open for their next game. My favorite thing about this game is I feel in control of my players in every aspect. In almost every game I see something that is as close to real football as you can get. My last game it was 4th and 1 and they came to the line trying to draw me offsides! I've never seen that in Madden. Also, the challenge system while not perfect is way better than the other game. Kick off return blocking is much better but Punt returns are not that great as the ball hangs too long not allowing you much time to make a move. Not to mention, custom camera angles really make the game more enjoyable if you like a more sideline/diagonal type view. Oh well, wishful thinking I guess.

I'd sure as hell play it. APF2K8 and NCAA 14 are the only reasons I still sometimes turn on my Xbox 360. I dug the roster of legends and the format for how teams were put together. Even without a multi-season franchise type mode it still holds up as a fun game to play. There was a foundation to build on if it could have generated a bigger audience at the time. The fact 2K8 was in the title suggests to me that may have been their intention.

If I were to hazard a guess, I think you answered this in part. They'd maybe have to start it from scratch, which could be costly. Given the lack of commercial success with 2K8, it's a gamble. And they're weighing that opportunity cost against other development that may have a clearer path to success.

That said, it's been 13 years. The market is different. There are different ways now to monetize such a game. I won't hold my breath but if they ever took another shot at it, I'd wish them success. Sports gamers deserve more variety.

jrivera34 11-06-2020 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzburgh (Post 2050238511)
Besides the obvious, that the programmers have all moved on and the code is outdated why can't 2k put together a team and make a Next Gen All Pro 2k21?.

If I am not mistaken, it didn’t sell well and that is always the driving force for any company.

As many have stated here, they can find many ways to monetize a game like this but then you will get the crowd complaining they ate grasping for every dollar.

The casual fan is key and it seems like most sports games need that official logo to survive.
Unfortunately the sport doesn’t sell itself, it is the affiliated league.

Maybe someone like the Rock can partner the XFL and 2K and make something happen. Everything that dude touches turns to gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports