Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Basketball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   Next-Gen NBA 2K21 Gameplay Reactions From the Staff (/forums/showthread.php?t=978042)

Steve_OS 10-28-2020 01:00 PM

Next-Gen NBA 2K21 Gameplay Reactions From the Staff

We got our first unedited look at NBA 2K21 on next-gen consoles, so what are your...

Written By: Chase Becotte

Click here to view the article.

MatchupNightmare23 10-29-2020 02:03 AM

Re: Next-Gen NBA 2K21 Gameplay Reactions From the Staff

I agree it's difficult to make a proper evaluation of NBA 2k21 next-gen without actually being at the controls, so far its a big step up from current-gen which I have been playing for a few months now. Foot planting looks like it's been reworked to emulate a player chaining moves together before planting and exploding past defenders.

"Chase Becotte: The Brandon Ingram reverse layup was clean and was a good sign for picking the right animation around the hoop".:brickwall
I made mention in a previous post that the reverse layup Ingram does at 2:56 in the video is terrible, players just don't toss a prayer behind their head, there's no finesse, no kiss off the glass, and for some reason, defenders can't even get near those layups because they go straight up and come straight back down into the basket, 9 times out of 10 players will use the basket as protection and use finesse off the glass, and I'd prefer not to see this layup or anything unrealistic in future NBA 2k editions. :58:

lossanthon 10-29-2020 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatchupNightmare23 (Post 2050249482)
I agree it's difficult to make a proper evaluation of NBA 2k21 next-gen without actually being at the controls, so far its a big step up from current-gen which I have been playing for a few months now. Foot planting looks like it's been reworked to emulate a player chaining moves together before planting and exploding past defenders.

"Chase Becotte: The Brandon Ingram reverse layup was clean and was a good sign for picking the right animation around the hoop".:brickwall

I made mention in a previous post that the reverse layup Ingram does at 2:56 in the video is terrible, players just don't toss a prayer behind their head, there's no finesse, no kiss off the glass, and for some reason, defenders can't even get near those layups because they go straight up and come straight back down into the basket, 9 times out of 10 players will use the basket as protection and use finesse off the glass, and I'd prefer not to see this layup or anything unrealistic in future NBA 2k editions. :58:

Correct! That reverse layup was horrific and it was also in the last gen and was horrible then. I’m pretty sure the game is going to feel good on the sticks, but I’m with you in that I would greatly appreciate them taking out the unrealistic animations that weren’t even good in last gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

papaey 10-29-2020 03:14 AM

I'm more concerned about how cpu play. Give us user vs cpu gameplay rather than user vs user.

ILLSmak 10-29-2020 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papaey (Post 2050249494)
I'm more concerned about how cpu play. Give us user vs cpu gameplay rather than user vs user.

They are slowly working on getting it right. CPU offense still way too slow. Everyone else hates the arcade 'fast break game', but I think it's a good start, it's more than the computer doesn't make smart choices. You can just weave up the floor if you do it right.

Hopefully they fix contact on perimeter. That's what clogs up a lot of the game. Contact on perimeter, contest radius decrease, make the game more about inches than sweeping moves, as we have expected.

I remember seeing a guy do a reverse lay up in 2k21 this gen and I was like man that's cheesy, but then I was like nah know what it's kinda fair that people get good lay ups. Contact dunks exists, greens, post spin, drop step... give dudes a way to attack the basket without getting just glomped and stopped.

I also think the AI should employ certain zones, both in MC and versus. These are my povs after some exp w/ the game vs ai. The ai needs zones like real zones, but they also need zones like anti-cheese zones. The whole idea of a zone like a 2-3 was to keep people out of the paint, well, there are different things in 2k you wanna stop people from doing, so if the cpu can know where you are prol going with more certainty and defend at least your best option better... then it will change a lot.

-Smak

Captain Obvious 63 10-29-2020 12:55 PM

I hope they did something about those runners in the lane, that always go in. It's unrealistic.* But my main concern is the defense. Did they fix help defense to stop lane penetration?

BigOrangeVol4Life 10-29-2020 03:38 PM

Is it just me, or does it seem like the crowd needs some work? NBA crowds are way different than college basketball crowds. They tend to be more mellow especially when the opposition has the ball. I think there would be more excitement and loud cheering when the hometown Pelicans made a basket. There should be quite a bit of a ruckus after Williamson executed that big slam. They instead just appeared mellowed out.

This may be something that the developers haven't finished working on. I hope they make these changes to make the arena really come to life.

I'm also hoping to see attendance fluctuate during games and during the season similar to what MLB The Show does. During home blowouts, let's see more and more empty seats as it gets later in the game. Let's see lots of empty seats during entire games if a team is having a bad year. On the flip side, if it's a game coming down to the buzzer, have every fan staying for the end and showing real excitement and enthusiasm especially if it's against a rival or in the playoffs.

R9NALD9 10-30-2020 05:16 AM

Did anyone else feel it was a real eyesore from 0:40 for literally 12 seconds Brandon Ingram and everyone around him just stood still waving from side to side in unison. hahaha