Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   College Hoops 2K Rosters (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   (PS3) Base roster with some nice updates (/forums/showthread.php?t=980864)

Phil Spiderman 01-05-2021 04:46 AM

(PS3) Base roster with some nice updates

2 Attachment(s)
This is a roster file I've been working at off-and-on for quite some time. These are default, unnamed original players so this isn't going to interest everybody. I mean the file is for anybody who wants it, but it's probably going to have more value for people who want to run a long legacy starting with a crappy team of nobodys and building it up. Originally I just wanted to update the courts to give the game a more modern look, and from there I hoped somebody smarter than me would use a hex editor to update the coach records. Then when the shutdown happened it freed up a lot of my time and renewed my interest in this game, and with some help from the guys in the hex editing thread, I figured some things out myself and was able to put together a pretty nice update. So for now I'm just going to list everything I did and then maybe put a more detailed explanation below, with some pics if I can figure out how to upload them.

-Court designs & updated for all teams not affected by the infamous sound glitch

-Updated a lot of student sections to wear the right colors

-Cheerleaders updated :laugh: But it does add a nice touch of detail to the background though

-All coach records updated as of the start of 2020-21 season

-All coach profiles updated (tempo, defense, recruiting tendencies, etc.)

-All head coaches named and given correct age. Appearances are going to be better for some (Patrick Ewing, Sean Miller) than others but all should be in the ballpark and have their correct skin color

-Team infos updated with correct # of championships, final 4's & tournament data

I will update this again in the next few days after updating conferences and editing the teams that aren't in Division 1 any more. I haven't quite squared away how I want some of the small conferences in the northeast yet. But I wanted to put up this version since some people prefer default conferences, or somebody might want to use the Centenary Gents or something.

I'm also thinking of adjusting some player attributes to make some of the teams play more accurately. Like boosting all player attributes by 5 or something for teams like Creighton, Butler, teams that have really taken off since the game was made. Give a +3 to all Virginia players D awareness, On-ball & Low post defense. And just see if I can find some outliers like teams that foul alot, shoot a ton of 3's, etc to give some of the teams a little more personality.

Update (9/13/21):

I'm posting here the most recently updated version of this roster that I have. Be aware that these updates are all from last season. Players who have graduated or transfered, or coaches who have retired or changed teams will not be updated here. I believe traveltall and those guys are going to try and use this as a base to make a roster update for the coming season. Anyone else who wants to use this or update it further, you are welcome to. Here's what's new from the first upload:

-Some more court updates from last year, but haven't checked on anything for 2021 so anything new won't be done.

-Added championships for Scott Drew & Baylor, as well as Final Four info for the teams and coaches who made it last year.

-The biggest part of the latest update was using info from barttorvik.com to update a lot of player attributes so teams play more like themselves. No players have been named and I only updated the appearance of players on a few teams, of if I knew what they look like - the site I used didn't have player pics and I just don't care about that honestly. I'm looking to start at a no-name school and build them up with fake recruits anyway. But most teams will play their own styles and there are teams like Virginia, Illinois, Iowa, Gonzaga and some others whose players you will recognize. A lot of mid- and small schools updated as well. Seeing some good realistic sim results.

Another note: With these edits, a lot of coaches are gonna drop off year 1 or 2. But you can go into thekr profiles and turn back their age so they don't retire, and you can do this during dynasties as many times as you want so you can make coaches stay active forever, as far as I know. But strangely, the game will NOT let you make them older fyi.

Attachment 195426

traveltall 01-05-2021 09:30 AM

Re: (PS3) Base roster with some nice updates

Interesting project! Will def have to checkout, we're working on updating the current rosters. Would be great to collab with you, we could use your help with the courts/coaches, just sent you a PM.

Phil Spiderman 01-10-2021 03:04 PM

You're welcome to map your player roster over this if such a thing is possible but doing the courts & coaches took me a lot of work and I'm not interested in doing it over. I can show you how I did the coach profiles.

Since more teams are playing at a faster pace than they were in 2007, I wanted to adjust the sliders to where they would be based on the game's scale. Meaning you'll see more teams on the upper half of the slider for tempo and crashkng boards. Instead of just putting today's high & low numbers all the way at those ends of the sliders and filling in everything in between. That way the game would hopefully play as it was intended to. Hopefully that makes sense. So that's why I mention median numbers down below and scaling the modern numbers to that.

Tempo:
I used Adjusted Tempo, or AdjT on kenpom. Since the median tempo was 65.8 when this game was made, I set a tempo of 66 as the 50 setting and raised or lowered by 5 on the in-game tempo slider for each one digit change. You will certainly notice most teams to be over 50 on the slider now, but actually fewer at 100.

Defensive Pressure:
This one drove me nuts for a while until a really good solution presented itself.
I used barttorvik.com and added defensive turnover % plus defensive foul rate on the team stats page. Pretty amazing the numbers turned out somewhere in the vicinity of 50. A lot of the pack-line teams seemed to be around 40, which was pefect since they tend to collapse into the paint and don't foul alot. While teams like South Carolina and several Southland Conference teams that sell out for steals and commit a lot of fouls ended up around 75 if I remember right.

For the other 2 sliders I went to hoop-math.com and used the "% of Initial FGA in Transition" column on the transition offense and defense tabs on the leaderboard page. Since that info only goes back to 2011, I found the median #'s for that year (both offense & defense ended up being 24) and scaled the slider up or down one notch from 50 for each number away from 24.

I hope this is easy enough to understand. You definitely will need a couple pieces of paper to list all the teams and one of those pens that writes in multiple colors would be helpful too. It's not scientific work by any means but I feel it's a pretty good way of translating the modern tendencies into the game.

SMUstangs22 01-10-2021 03:40 PM

Were all of the courts updated? Not seeing it for SMU (obviously a main focus of mine :y220a:)

Phil Spiderman 01-10-2021 06:52 PM

SMU was one of the teams whose name audio cut out if you changed anything. If you wanted to update it, make the first layer of skirting their shade of blue, make all the court lines white, click R3 on the key to make it blank, and make sure red is their 1st team color so the student section wears red.

traveltall 01-10-2021 07:14 PM

Unfortunately we can't add what you've done to our existing project, wish we could and I don't blame you for not wanting to do it again. Maybe its just the roster Im working off of, but I can never add the volleyball lines to a court like say Davidson, it says n/a and no matter what I try I can't add them, any ideas on how to fix that?

Phil Spiderman 01-10-2021 09:10 PM

No way to do that in-game that I know of, but I'm convinced it's as easy as changing some digit to a zero in one of the lines of code when you open it up in the hex editor (Hex Workshop is what I use). Same goes for the ridiculous giant cartoon basketballs some teams have at the top of the key. In fact I figured out where those numbers are for created teams, but with the real teams those numbers aren't there.

Anyways I thought I read some mention in the hex editing thread of like pasting a roster over another roster file or legacy file, something like that. Who knows maybe I misunderstood something or dreamt it. I'll try to re-read through it again if I have a chance. If that's possible though we could blend together your players with my courts & coaches and have a pretty legendary update.

traveltall 01-10-2021 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Spiderman (Post 2050301477)
No way to do that in-game that I know of, but I'm convinced it's as easy as changing some digit to a zero in one of the lines of code when you open it up in the hex editor (Hex Workshop is what I use). Same goes for the ridiculous giant cartoon basketballs some teams have at the top of the key. In fact I figured out where those numbers are for created teams, but with the real teams those numbers aren't there.

Anyways I thought I read some mention in the hex editing thread of like pasting a roster over another roster file or legacy file, something like that. Who knows maybe I misunderstood something or dreamt it. I'll try to re-read through it again if I have a chance. If that's possible though we could blend together your players with my courts & coaches and have a pretty legendary update.

So were you able to remove the cartoon basketball from WVU, I couldn't exactly tell, I dont think you were able to? But yeah, if you can figure out a way to blend your update with ours that would be amazing and I can send you our roster file.