Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Non-Sports Gaming (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   What are the best FPS games you played on current gen? (/forums/showthread.php?t=981771)

Executor 01-27-2021 04:03 PM

What are the best FPS games you played on current gen?

I mean, aside from sports games, all I have ever played before were turn-based strategy games. I have never understood why people were so obsessed with all kinds of first-person shooters, they never held any appeal to me.

But now that I am slowly discovering the vast field of third person gems like TLoU, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted or AC: Odyssey with all their amazing worlds, stories and adventures, I am starting to realize that even a first-person shooters I have previously been so ignorant to, could actually be well worth a try.

This feeling gains steam even more now that I am closing in on finishing HZD, and the game is so massive that sometimes I almost physically feel the need to switch gears for a second (or two) and simply jump into a good old go-out-and-kill-everybody kind of FPS madhouse.

After browsing through this forum and couple of YT videos, I decided there are actually 4 main "cathegories" of FPS games from which I would like to try at least one, now or in the future:

1) open world FPS with a bit (or a lot) crafting, scavenging, story-telling etc., aka Far Cry 5

2) pure shooters like Doom (or CoD? Not sure about that one)

3) first person survival horrors like Resident Evil: Biohazard (though I can't imagine me ever grabbing my balls and go play these kinds of games)

4) I also wonder if there are first person shooters / games in the mold of TLoU - linear, story driven games where you still have to go out and take down the bad guys to advance further in the game.

Personally, the games I am considering the most right now based on my research are Far Cry 5 or Fallout 4 though both of them have pretty mixed reviews and draw pretty polarizing opinions, even on this forum.

I might also add that I am pretty high on graphics and easy controls, since I damn s**k on the sticks.

So I would love to see some opinions from experienced gamers on what are your best or most fun to play FPS games on current gen?

Side note: I am on PS4.

Side note 2: Remastered (for current gen) versions of older gens' games are also welcome. [emoji846]

JoshC1977 01-27-2021 04:13 PM

Re: What are the best FPS games you played on current gen?

OK, let me ask a high-level question before myself (and others) try to respond.

Are you removing any shooters that are in a 3rd person view or are you lumping all games with shooter mechanics together? SO many games these days are in a 3rd person view....

Executor 01-27-2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshC1977 (Post 2050312321)
OK, let me ask a high-level question before myself (and others) try to respond.

Are you removing any shooters that are in a 3rd person view or are you lumping all games with shooter mechanics together? SO many games these days are in a 3rd person view....

Good one, Josh.

I may be a minority and I probably don't even know how to properly explain it, but I think a first-person vs. third-person perspective makes a lot of difference. I feel like first person makes it harder on user because maybe you're more limited in what you see, you probably need to focus more, jump-scares are more scarier, these kinds of things. On the other hand, a good kill may feel a tad more personal, the atmosphere or enviroment might suck you in just a little bit more, things like that.

So essentially, yes, I am looking for a first-person experience first and foremost, but a side-note tip for any other good shooter would always be welcome (FWIW, your description of Life is Strange in one of the other threads sold me on getting that game).

PPerfect_CJ 01-28-2021 09:12 AM

You can never go wrong with Fallout 4, imo. My #4 game of all time. You mentioned Far Cry 5, but Far Cry 4 was a LOT better to me. I just didn't like 5 very much. The "Cull the Herd" missions just killed the immersion. If you want a totally different kind of FPS, give Far Cry Primal a try. Only negative about that game is that it is all subtitles. Still fun, tho.

Keirik 01-28-2021 10:26 AM

Dying Light sounds like something up your ally. Zombies, open world, first person, crafting, a world to get lost in.

If you are looking for a survival story driven winter style, the Long Dark is a fun immersion solo experience. Plus there’s always Skyrim as well.

JoshC1977 01-28-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Executor (Post 2050312351)
Good one, Josh.

I may be a minority and I probably don't even know how to properly explain it, but I think a first-person vs. third-person perspective makes a lot of difference. I feel like first person makes it harder on user because maybe you're more limited in what you see, you probably need to focus more, jump-scares are more scarier, these kinds of things. On the other hand, a good kill may feel a tad more personal, the atmosphere or enviroment might suck you in just a little bit more, things like that.

So essentially, yes, I am looking for a first-person experience first and foremost, but a side-note tip for any other good shooter would always be welcome (FWIW, your description of Life is Strange in one of the other threads sold me on getting that game).

I agree that the angle makes quite a bit of difference; but some folks use FPS as a 'catch all' for all shooters...I wanted to be sure (I actually prefer 3rd person). Here are a couple of ideas in no particular order.

- The Borderlands series. Less serious, lots of fun. Excellent looter shooter. This is the only truly "open world" game on this list; I actually can't stand open world games.
- Titanfall 2. 99% sure this is 1st-person, been awhile. Very underrated game but it has a pretty darn good campaign and some cool combat mechanics.
- Doom and Doom Eternal. Both hearken back to the old days where you really had to move around a lot vs a more tactical cover shooter.
- The "Metro" series. Good mix of story-telling, some scares, and a survival element. Note, I have not played Exodus.

A couple of shout-outs for 3rd person "shooters":
- The Mass Effect trilogy. Technically an RPG, but the combat is shooter based. This is easily the best space-based RPG series EVER. Wait until the remastered edition comes out later this year (no date yet)
- The modern Tomb Raider and Uncharted series. Both do the same sort of thing...kind of an Indiana Jones meets a shooter thing. Both fairly linear, good stories and so on. I prefer Tomb Raider mainly because I don't like the lead character in the Uncharted series (most would admonish me for saying that too).

Another thing you can do is purchase EA Access for a month (unless you already have it) and play through all of the Battlefield campaigns (pretty sure they are all very short). Unless you want to play online, they aren't worth purchasing for the campaigns alone - but you could easily knock out all of the campaigns in a month.

Bullit 01-28-2021 04:08 PM

I highly recommend the Metro Series. The first 2 can be had pretty cheap and the 3rd is on sale for like $20 for the Gold Edition which has the seasons pass content.

The first two are a little clunky at times but I love the games and the story. the survival element are cool to me.

Far Cry Primal I have always thought was very under rated. I spent 100's of hours on that one and enjoyed it a whole lot.

For Offline I would go with Ghost Recon Wildlands. Much better than Breakpoint in my opinion.

Armor and Sword 01-28-2021 05:50 PM

What are the best FPS games you played on current gen?

Ghost Recon Wildlands was a great solo campaign. Enjoyed that immensely.

I need to play the Metro Games. They are in my vast backlog.

Sniper Elite 4 was a freaking awesome WWII shooter. So much so I will replay that again one day.

Fallout 4 outstanding.
Far Cry Primal is my favorite in the series. But you need to also play 3 and 4 which are also signature entries in the series.

They have a version of Far Cry 3 for the PS4 as well.

Mass Effect is a wonderful trilogy. If you love science fiction, great characters and stories you owe it to yourself to pick up the forthcoming remaster for PS4

Dying Light is a really good game too.

Days Gone.....simply awesome.