Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Something I rarely see being talked about.. (/forums/showthread.php?t=982317)

xCoachDx 02-14-2021 10:28 AM

Something I rarely see being talked about..

I know that people often say “This is the worst _____ I’ve ever seen in a video game.” Its overused and often being exaggerated. However, when it comes to run blocking logic in M21, I can honestly say that this might be the legitimate worst I’ve ever seen in a football game. Period.

I know no aspect is going to be perfect, but this looks as messed up as I’ve seen Madden attempt to accomplish in a very long time, if ever.

Let’s understand that this isn’t just one tiny aspect of the run blocking. Most people have mentioned at times how players blocking downfield will just run by the defender. And yes, that’s one aspect. I’m talking about guards pulling the wrong way (and not getting up in the hole when they are pulling the right way), lead blockers targeting defenders on the backside of the play, blockers passing up play side linemen to block a safety 20 yards downfield, blockers running into each other, I mean the list is just absurd.

How are people not blowing this problem up? Having a consistent run game is nearly impossible as your line will at LEAST once per drive have some silly hiccup and let a defender through. NCAA 11 did blocking schemes perfectly with double teams, chips, scrapes, all of it. Why is it so incredibly bad now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ 02-14-2021 11:28 AM

Re: Something I rarely see being talked about..

Eh, when I play I use mostly zone blocking, and while it could be better, it's not that horrid.

jfsolo 02-14-2021 12:13 PM

I won't get into a back in forth about it because it's pointless, but my opinion is the exact opposite of the OP. People aren't blowing the issue up because the next gen blocking is really, really good, not perfect of course, but actually very strong.

canes21 02-14-2021 01:23 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a guard pull the wrong way. The only issue I see semi-consistently is the FB blocking nobody on a play. Outside of that I think the run blocking is the best it has been in the series, honestly.

I actually have Run Blocking turned down to 8 right now in my sliders because the Run Blocking is too good at default. I may even lower it further than that because I'm still running the ball a little too good it seems, but I'm using some 2002 rosters and Washington had a good OL and Portis is rated a 96 in them, so that's probably a part of it also.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

xCoachDx 02-14-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfsolo (Post 2050323823)
I won't get into a back in forth about it because it's pointless, but my opinion is the exact opposite of the OP. People aren't blowing the issue up because the next gen blocking is really, really good, not perfect of course, but actually very strong.

Uhhhh I’m playing on next gen and have the COMPLETE opposite experience. I see guards pulling the wrong way very frequently, especially if there are two players pulling. Cant count how many times I’ve seen the pulling blockers just run into each other. Are sliders somehow tied to the player logic? I just assumed sliders would affect what happens after they are engaged.

canes21 02-14-2021 05:25 PM

Can you share some examples of the players pulling the wrong way?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

xCoachDx 02-14-2021 06:18 PM

https://youtu.be/VQUKLX9vE9w

Excuse the quality. I’m not at my PS5 and this was just a clip I had on my phone. I’ll record more examples straight from the console later if needed. I’m curious as to why my game is doing stuff like this so frequently when others are not.

YaBarber 02-14-2021 06:27 PM

There are no actual fundamental assignments for OL/DL play in Madden. There are no "techniques" for DL, or zone/man assignments for OL. It's essentially just a block whoever is in front of you design. So yeah you'll 100% see goofy things happen when the OL has no true idea of who they should go and block.

Also, players in Madden are on a strict "follow the line" way of thinking. Receivers run exactly on the yellow line, OL on screen passes go directly on the white lines even when there are defenders in that path.

The game isn't run on logic, it's run on dice rolls or whatever else that isn't actual football. So yeah, the run game isn't going to be fluid and blockers will do weird things because they have no idea what they're supposed to actually do.