Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   MLB The Show 21 Check Swings - Love it or Hate it? (/forums/showthread.php?t=984764)

Jay Cee 04-26-2021 11:34 PM

MLB The Show 21 Check Swings - Love it or Hate it?

What else can I say but wow, this is impacting both myself and the AI but check swings are called for a strikes DRAMATICALLY more often this year to the point it’s a problem. Strikeouts on both sides are way up and walks are way down as compared to usual. Please tell me one of you slider gurus can control from this really bad programming bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

knucklecutter 04-27-2021 12:11 AM

Re: Check swings

For both myself and the cpu I'm seeing good realistic strike out numbers and walks, but you're right that the check swings for both humans and cpu are almost always considered to have gone around.

Dolenz 04-27-2021 02:28 AM

I believe they made this change because online players complained that it was too easy and unrealistic to see players check swing regularly 3 or 4 times in a single at bat.

I feel like they overcompensated with the fix though

Potatoes002 04-27-2021 04:34 AM

I noticed in the Xbox One beta test literally every check swing resulted in a strike for me.

Playing the XSX version, I have seen a lot go the other way and it is definitely more balanced. Not sure why that is...

NYJin2011tm 04-27-2021 06:24 AM

It was def too easy in past years. I like where it’s at right now. I’m getting a good mix of not checking and checking successfully.

RainOnTim 04-27-2021 07:56 AM

Before when it was a mix of player ratings and user input it felt random, this year I feel like I know whether I went or not before the appeal.

It's definitely harder to check swing this year but I don't think it's broken the game in any way.

bo_jax2000 04-27-2021 08:06 AM

There is a player quirk that deals with walks and check swings. Has anyone had more success while using those players with the quirk?

JoshC1977 04-27-2021 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Cee (Post 2050368619)
What else can I say but wow, this is impacting both myself and the AI but check swings are called for a strikes DRAMATICALLY more often this year to the point it’s a problem. Strikeouts on both sides are way up and walks are way down as compared to usual. Please tell me one of you slider gurus can control from this really bad programming bug.

It's not a bug first of all. That was a design decision (one I wholeheartedly agree with now having played with it). Yes, I think it's a hair overdone, mainly on the CPU side as I definitely noted the same uptick in K-rate for the CPU (and myself).

I raised foul frequency to 6 for both sides and that helped the CPU without jacking-up the balance. Raising user pitch control to 6 also helps the CPU batters play more intelligently....as usual.