Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Super Mega Baseball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=686)
-   -   EA Purchases Metalhead Software to Grow Super Mega Baseball Franchise & Develop Other Sports Games (/forums/showthread.php?t=985076)

Steve_OS 05-05-2021 04:12 PM

EA Purchases Metalhead Software to Grow Super Mega Baseball Franchise & Develop Other Sports Games

EA has purchased Metalhead Software, developer of the Super Mega Baseball franchise, to continue growing the...

Written By: Steve Noah

Click here to view the article.

DrPhibes 05-05-2021 04:23 PM

Re: Metalhead Acquired by EA

RIP Suger Mega Baseball.

Make no mistake, they deserve to cash out cause nobody works harder than than these guys.

However, I'm not gonna simp for EA of all companies which is a plague on sports gaming and, given what historically happens when a great little company gets bought out, this is the death of a great baseball franchise.

I hope for their sake they don't meet the fate of many smaller developers that get bought up with all the promises in the world, and then within 5-years the company is shutdown and everybody is re-assigned to different projects or let go.

jfsolo 05-05-2021 04:26 PM

What comes out of this is going to be very interesting. I'm betting that a lot of people will comment without reading the statement.

jeffy777 05-05-2021 04:42 PM

Big congrats to the Metalhead guys.

This Polygon article provides some interesting insight into EA's motives and what lead up to the acquisition:

https://www.polygon.com/22421420/sup...g-mvp-baseball

CujoMatty 05-05-2021 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPhibes (Post 2050374957)
RIP Suger Mega Baseball.

Make no mistake, they deserve to cash out cause nobody works harder than than these guys.

However, I'm not gonna simp for EA of all companies which is a plague on sports gaming and, given what historically happens when a great little company gets bought out, this is the death of a great baseball franchise.

I hope for their sake they don't meet the fate of many smaller developers that get bought up with all the promises in the world, and then within 5-years the company is shutdown and everybody is re-assigned to different projects or let go.

The Golf Club going to 2k reminds me of this move. I know its popular to crap on EA but if this goes at all like how that went, I'll be ecstatic. PGA 2k21 is by far the best version of that series IMO.

TheBleedingRed21 05-05-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CujoMatty (Post 2050375003)
The Golf Club going to 2k reminds me of this move. I know its popular to crap on EA but if this goes at all like how that went, I'll be ecstatic. PGA 2k21 is by far the best version of that series IMO.

If you excuse the worst career mode in any golf game that featured a career mode, yeah. For the career mode player, it’s actually broken. I know that term is thrown around, but it’s legit broken lol.

JayhawkerStL 05-05-2021 07:16 PM

Re: EA Purchases Metalhead Software to Grow Super Mega Baseball Franchise & Develop O

Well, you have to assume we are going to see an Ultimate Team mode of some sort. And if I was going to play a CC version of a game online, I would much prefer to do it with SMB3, as Pennant Race is just nearly perfect 100% of the time.

They could license real players, current and legends, and add them into the mix. And I think they could easily do a SMB4: MLB version with actual players and stadiums in the same style the game uses now.

I've been playing The Show since it launched on Game Pass, but the last few nights, I've gone back to SMB3. It's just about 1 million times more fun to play in game. I don't think SMB3 needs real players, but I could get behind it, as long as they keep the current franchise mode as is, and don't try to mimic real world labor agreements.

I did think it is funny that they are talking about how the agreement just happened and they want to sit down and plan out the future, like that future wasn't planned out when they bought them out.

I do bet we see some SuperMega football and other sports, too. It's a good brand to leverage.

Spear 05-05-2021 07:27 PM

Re: EA Purchases Metalhead Software to Grow Super Mega Baseball Franchise & Develop O

EA Sports BIG 2.0?