Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   OBPS (/forums/showthread.php?t=986259)

Mackrel829 06-15-2021 03:44 AM

OBPS

What exactly does on base plus slugging show?

I understand that it combines OBP and Slugging but I don't understand how, or what it represents. On Base Percentage is a percentage displaying how often a player gets a hit when they're at bat. Slugging, on the other hand, is not a percentage at all, but I stead displays the average number of bases that a player will take per at bat.

How do you combine these two things? What does the OBPS number represent? Or does it not represent anything tangible at all, but is just a number that can be used to compare players on an ultimately arbitrary scale?

Itsma806 06-15-2021 05:12 AM

Re: OBPS

Not real sure how to answer your question but I can add that obp also counts walks not just hits as that would be the players batting average.

*edit* MLB'S definition:

OPS adds on-base percentage and slugging percentage to get one number that unites the two. It's meant to combine how well a hitter can reach base, with how well he can hit for average and for power.

DarthRambo 06-15-2021 05:30 AM

Slugging percentage is total bases ÷ at bats. So extra base hits, especially homeruns increase it a lot compared to a single.

OPS is the quickest way to look and see the top quality hitters who can do everything at the plate.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Operation Sports mobile app

Mackrel829 06-15-2021 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishSalsa (Post 2050399314)
Slugging percentage is total bases ÷ at bats. So extra base hits, especially homeruns increase it a lot compared to a single.

OPS is the quickest way to look and see the top quality hitters who can do everything at the plate.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Operation Sports mobile app

Yeah so slugging percentage isn't actually a percentage at all. It displays the number of bases that a player takes each time they are at bat.

Fictional player example:

OBP: .350 - this means that the player reaches a base 35% of the time (frequency).

Slugging: .500 - this means that a player takes half a base for every at bat (quantity).

OPS would be a combination of the two. But how can you add frequency with quantity?

My question is - does OPS display a tangible metric such as frequency or quantity, or is it just an arbitrary scale?

kinsmen7 06-15-2021 09:38 AM

To further answer your question, after a couple of great responses, OPS+ then takes that number, normalizes it against the league with the average being 100, and accounts for things like park factors as well. Basically both are solid metrics for how good a player is.

For example, your current OPS+ leaders are:
-Baby Vlad (210...meaning he's a 110% better than a league average hitter :caflag:)
-Tatis Jr.
-Matt Olson
-Jesse Winker
-Nick Castellanos
-Max Muncy
-Kris Bryant
-Acuna Jr.

If you go to just for OPS, you get a reasonably similar list, with a few changes in rankings.

Mackrel829 06-15-2021 10:20 AM

Re: OPS

I still feel like my question isn't being understood lol, though I appreciate the replies.

On base percentage represents the frequency with which a batter reaches base, i.e. .350 means a batter reaches base 35% of the time.

Slugging 'percentage' represents how many bases a player takes each time they are at bat, i.e. .500 means a batter takes half a base each time they are bat.

I understand that OPS (which I mistakenly referred to as OBPS earlier) is used to illustrate how good a player is at hitting, but what does it actually represent as in the above examples?

If a player has an OPS of .750, what does that mean? It doesn't mean he reaches base 75% of the time because that's OBP. It doesn't mean he takes three quarters of a base every at bat because that's slugging. What does that number actually represent? Or is the number ultimately arbitrary and only adopts meaning when placed on a scale or is compared with the numbers of other players? (I'm starting to think it's the latter)

bspring3 06-15-2021 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackrel829 (Post 2050399372)
I still feel like my question isn't being understood lol, though I appreciate the replies.

On base percentage represents the frequency with which a batter reaches base, i.e. .350 means a batter reaches base 35% of the time.

Slugging 'percentage' represents how many bases a player takes each time they are at bat, i.e. .500 means a batter takes half a base each time they are bat.

I understand that OPS (which I mistakenly referred to as OBPS earlier) is used to illustrate how good a player is at hitting, but what does it actually represent as in the above examples?

If a player has an OPS of .750, what does that mean? It doesn't mean he reaches base 75% of the time because that's OBP. It doesn't mean he takes three quarters of a base every at bat because that's slugging. What does that number actually represent? Or is the number ultimately arbitrary and only adopts meaning when placed on a scale or is compared with the numbers of other players? (I'm starting to think it's the latter)

You are correct on the 2nd one in that it’s usefulness is derived from the scale when compared to other players.

Like you mentioned, it is combining two opposing forms of calculations so when added together it cannot represent a single entity.

As others have said, it basically represents a “catch all” statistic that shows the best all around hitters so in theory, the higher the number when compared to others in the league, the better the number. Some years the leaders are in the 900s, some years in the 1,000s (1.000s to be exact).

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

strosdood 06-15-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackrel829 (Post 2050399372)

It’s on base percentage plus slugging added together to get a sabermetric number that’s used to evaluate a players skill at the most important skill sets hitters are judged upon…… not sure if that’s all u were asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports