Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Questiona about CPU, franchise , and sliders (/forums/showthread.php?t=986333)

jdb7623 06-18-2021 12:59 AM

Questiona about CPU, franchise , and sliders

Just started playing franchise for a couple weeks and have a few questions.

1. How does the Manager hook slider work? I've been watching games in franchise mode and have yet to see a pitcher complete a game. I have SP stamina at 8 and manager hook at 4. Seems like once the pitch count hits 100, if the pitcher gives a walk or hit he gets pulled regardless of how well he's pitching.

2. How do you know how much rest a pitcher needs? Is there a way to check? Also, do position players need rest. I noticed the AI is always starting backups periodically.

3. When looking at the depth chart feature it shows you how players ratings change year over year. Is this an accurate prediction? Is it possible for players to exceed these prediction? Trying to understand how much variability there is. Also, when I'm looking at prospects for potential trades, is there a way to see what their progression looks like?

4. Can you explain the impact of vision and discipline ratings on the cpu?

5. Do pitchers and hitters gain confidence throughout a game that impacts their play?

tessl 06-18-2021 02:26 PM

Re: Questiona about CPU, franchise , and sliders

I'll try my best and some of this is educated guess instead of rock solid knowledge.

1 - I don't use sliders. I use default. I do know once a pitcher's stamina gets to around 25% he begins to have his attributes decline and it gets progressively lower. That's why the cpu pulls their starting pitchers and good to keep in mind for your own starting pitchers. Stamina rating determines how fast a pitcher loses energy during a game. My rule of thumb is 80 stamina for a pitcher to comfortably get through 6 innings - but that depends on how many pitches he throws.

2 - Prior to the game you can see the energy bar for each player. Durability rating determines how much energy they lose in a game and how often they need a day off. For starting pitchers I use a 5 man rotation. For relief pitchers I don't use them more than 2 days in a row.

3 - I believe they may have tweaked progression for this year's game. Performance plays a role as does age and potential. I don't think anybody but the developers knows the exact formula. At one time it was highly predictable but for the past few years it has not been as predictable.

4 - https://www.operationsports.com/take...b-the-show-19/

5- There is a pitcher confidence switch than can be turned on or off in the settings. I'm not sure the switch to turn it off works because if you turn it off the confidence bar still changes during the game. I have long guessed batters have some sort of a confidence bar during games but there is nothing visible in that regard. Prior to a game you can see whether a player is slumping or streaking by an icon next to their name but I can't say whether or not that impacts attributes during a game.

jdb7623 06-18-2021 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessl (Post 2050402303)
I'll try my best and some of this is educated guess instead of rock solid knowledge.

1 - I don't use sliders. I use default. I do know once a pitcher's stamina gets to around 25% he begins to have his attributes decline and it gets progressively lower. That's why the cpu pulls their starting pitchers and good to keep in mind for your own starting pitchers. Stamina rating determines how fast a pitcher loses energy during a game. My rule of thumb is 80 stamina for a pitcher to comfortably get through 6 innings - but that depends on how many pitches he throws.

2 - Prior to the game you can see the energy bar for each player. Durability rating determines how much energy they lose in a game and how often they need a day off. For starting pitchers I use a 5 man rotation. For relief pitchers I don't use them more than 2 days in a row.

3 - I believe they may have tweaked progression for this year's game. Performance plays a role as does age and potential. I don't think anybody but the developers knows the exact formula. At one time it was highly predictable but for the past few years it has not been as predictable.

4 - https://www.operationsports.com/take...b-the-show-19/

5- There is a pitcher confidence switch than can be turned on or off in the settings. I'm not sure the switch to turn it off works because if you turn it off the confidence bar still changes during the game. I have long guessed batters have some sort of a confidence bar during games but there is nothing visible in that regard. Prior to a game you can see whether a player is slumping or streaking by an icon next to their name but I can't say whether or not that impacts attributes during a game.

Thank you sir.

Regarding #2. Where do I see the energy? Is it visible before you start a game so you can plan your lineup and starting pitching?

Mackrel829 06-18-2021 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdb7623 (Post 2050402378)
Thank you sir.

Regarding #2. Where do I see the energy? Is it visible before you start a game so you can plan your lineup and starting pitching?

After you click 'play next game' it takes you to the starting pitcher screen where you can see your pitchers energies. Once you select a pitcher, it takes you to the line up screen, which shows you the energies of your position players. The bar on the right is the energy.