Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Non-Sports Gaming (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The Ascent (/forums/showthread.php?t=990651)

IHateDuke32 07-29-2021 04:32 PM

The Ascent

Anyone on Xbox or PC give this a shot yet? I think it just unlocked a few hours ago. This game looks really cool and the perfect game to try from Game Pass.

peter42O 07-29-2021 05:17 PM

Re: The Ascent

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHateDuke32 (Post 2050427776)
Anyone on Xbox or PC give this a shot yet? I think it just unlocked a few hours ago. This game looks really cool and the perfect game to try from Game Pass.

Played for 30 minutes. You can play off-line even via Game Pass which is weird because I couldn’t do that for whatever reason with Gears Tactics.

Anyway, I have a bunch of nitpicks like the info text being small despite playing on a 55" screen, there are dialogue choices in regards to asking an NPC questions which is cool but every one selected makes the cursor go back to the top dialogue question which is annoying. A few other nitpicks as well but again, just nitpicks.

My major issue is the hit detection. I’m NOT holding down the LT button and im still missing shots for the ferals early on. Also, I realized that it’s better to keep pressing the button when using the handgun instead of holding it down despite the game telling you to do so. The reloading is weird to where if you don’t let go of the RT button after emptying a clip, you won’t reload automatically.

After the hit detection, another major issue is the reticle. Why is there a reticle? There’s no reason for it when guns have a laser sight attached to them. That’s the reticle. It’s so annoying. I hope they patch the game to include an on/off option for this. Also, why can’t I turn off the damage numbers? When a lot of stuff is going on, that doesn’t help.

With all of that said, im actually going to buy the game especially since I have a lot of credit because despite my issues, this game is exactly for me. I loved Ruiner, Alienation, Dead Nation, Nex Machina and the two Lara Croft games. Granted, only Ruiner is truly similar but I do love these types of games.

I ended up buying the game which gave me a 20% discount so it cost me $24 for Xbox Series X. If you have Game Pass, I highly recommend trying it if you're a fan of twin stick shooters.

TIP: Instead of crouching under pipes, you can evade/roll under them.

mgoblue 07-30-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter42O (Post 2050427795)
Played for 30 minutes. You can play off-line even via Game Pass which is weird because I couldn’t do that for whatever reason with Gears Tactics.

Anyway, I have a bunch of nitpicks like the info text being small despite playing on a 55" screen, there are dialogue choices in regards to asking an NPC questions which is cool but every one selected makes the cursor go back to the top dialogue question which is annoying. A few other nitpicks as well but again, just nitpicks.

My major issue is the hit detection. I’m NOT holding down the LT button and im still missing shots for the ferals early on. Also, I realized that it’s better to keep pressing the button when using the handgun instead of holding it down despite the game telling you to do so. The reloading is weird to where if you don’t let go of the RT button after emptying a clip, you won’t reload automatically.

After the hit detection, another major issue is the reticle. Why is there a reticle? There’s no reason for it when guns have a laser sight attached to them. That’s the reticle. It’s so annoying. I hope they patch the game to include an on/off option for this. Also, why can’t I turn off the damage numbers? When a lot of stuff is going on, that doesn’t help.

With all of that said, im actually going to buy the game especially since I have a lot of credit because despite my issues, this game is exactly for me. I loved Ruiner, Alienation, Dead Nation, Nex Machina and the two Lara Croft games. Granted, only Ruiner is truly similar but I do love these types of games.

I ended up buying the game which gave me a 20% discount so it cost me $24 for Xbox Series X. If you have Game Pass, I highly recommend trying it if you're a fan of twin stick shooters.

TIP: Instead of crouching under pipes, you can evade/roll under them.

I can agree with a bunch of little things feeling off (especially reloading), but I'm really enjoying this as well.

Dead2009 08-02-2021 11:02 AM

I'll be giving this a shot this weekend. Watched a stream of it on Twitch and looked interesting.

peter42O 08-02-2021 11:47 AM

I am waiting until they release a few patches to take care some of bugs/glitches as well as add in HDR and difficulty levels. Still looking forward to playing The Ascent but I can wait.

NINJAK2 08-03-2021 04:25 PM

I like the game but like some of you said it has a bunch of annoying issues(long load times, really bad game lag in co-op, crashing to dashboard). I've experienced events not triggering when I get to a certain point in a mission which is probably my biggest issue with it. Nothing stinks more than playing up to a certain point in a mission for an hour or so only to realize you can't trigger the next event because you have not done a previous mission:brickwall. The game certainly needs to be more clear in telling the user which missions are available to finish to completion(Ex: You must complete "x" mission before starting this mission). I highly recommend that newcomers stick to doing the first 2 or 3 main story missions 1st before branching off to side missions to avoid my problem. The fact that only 12 devs made this game is quite an achievement though so they get major props from me.

dubplate 08-05-2021 08:28 PM

Played for about 15 minutes and turned it off after I was unable to kill any of the first scrub enemies you encounter.

My gun just would not register any hits so I gave up after dying three times.

I really don’t have time or patience to play a janky-*** game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Pete1210 09-03-2021 07:22 PM

Was frustrated with the combat in the beginning, but its much better now that I leveled up and got some good perks (augmentations). The game sure could explain things better. Like when I ran into an icepick lock. Or explaining the armor stats. TG for game guides.