Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Basketball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   NBA 2K22 All Player Ratings (/forums/showthread.php?t=992142)

ChaseB 09-10-2021 02:46 AM

NBA 2K22 All Player Ratings

In this video, we take a look at the overall player ratings for every player in...

Written By: Chase Becotte

Click here to view the article.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hEKyuZ0Df6M" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Real2KInsider 09-10-2021 03:44 AM

Re: NBA 2K22 All Player Ratings

1 Attachment(s)
My initial observation is that ALL players are down OVR w/ the exception of stars. This is likely due to additional Badges (as Badges affect OVR, and have for a few years).

Stars have tons of badges (and in higher qualities), while the mid-level players who make up the meat of the league (4th-8th men) typically get ignored by 2K.

The resulting OVRs almost assuredly ruin the off-season of a MyLeague as players who typically make 10-20M per are now practically indistinguishable from the veteran minimum guys.

There is some favoritism for various players & franchises (compare R.J. Barrett & the Knicks to the entire Kings roster for a good laugh), though it isn't as obvious w/ the blended OVRs.

One of my recent criticisms of 2K's Roster is they don't seem to have much understanding of how OVR works w/ their own gameplay, and a longstanding criticism is that they don't understand where NBA tiers break IRL. The way this roster is constructed every team has three 80+ players and then everyone else floating in the mid-70s.

Look no further than the Jazz for a comical representation of this:
88 Donovan Mitchell (All-Star)
88 Rudy Gobert (All-Star)
83 Mike Conley (All-Star)
80 Joe Ingles
79 Jordan Clarkson (6th Man of the Year)
78 Hassan Whiteside (was not in Kings rotation last year)
78 Rudy Gay (Backup PF/SF)
77 Bojan Bogdanovic (Starting SF - 2K having his position at PF is an entirely different tangent)
76 Royce O'Neale (Starting PF)
76 Eric Paschall (was not in Warriors rotation last year, a 3rd string on this team)

I say this seemingly every year but I would be embarrassed if I had to call this my product. It might appease Johnny Casual but anyone w/ more than a surface level interest in the NBA just cringes looking at this stuff.

Edit: I appreciate the larger spreadsheet that makes this more evident!

Edit #2: Apparently Frames, Line Spacing, and COLOR are a next-gen exclusive.

EzMacK15 09-10-2021 11:40 AM

How the heck is Donovan Mitchell still a 88 after the last two years he's had smh. The best* player on one of the leagues top teams and stays at a 88 for 3 years straight. He should be at least a 91 dang 2k.

Real2KInsider 09-10-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EzMacK15 (Post 2050459245)
How the heck is Donovan Mitchell still a 88 after the last two years he's had smh. The best* player on one of the leagues top teams and stays at a 88 for 3 years straight. He should be at least a 91 dang 2k.

2K meticulously controls OVR via the Intangibles attribute, it has nothing to do with Mitchell's performance-based Attributes and Badges. He is 88 because they want him at 88.

Top 10 Shooting Guards
94 - James Harden (24.5 PER, 62 TS%, 44 AST%, 28 USG%)
90 - Devin Booker (19.2 PER, 59 TS%, 21 AST%, 33 USG%)
89 - Bradley Beal (22.7 PER, 59 TS%, 21 AST%, 34 USG%)
88 - Donovan Mitchell (21.3 PER, 57 TS%, 27 AST%, 34 USG%)
88 - Paul George (20.5 PER, 60 TS%, 25 AST%, 30 USG%)
87 - Zach LaVine (21.5 PER, 63 TS%, 23 AST%, 31 USG%)
87 - Klay Thompson (16.6 PER, 57 TS%, 11 AST%, 26 USG%)
85 - C.J. McCollum (20.8 PER, 58 TS%, 23 AST%, 27 USG%)
82 - Collin Sexton (18.0 PER, 57 TS%, 23 AST%, 30 USG%)
82 - Caris LeVert (17.8 PER, 53 TS%, 25 AST%, 29 USG%)
82 - Terry Rozier (17.1 PER, 58 TS%, 20 AST%, 24 USG%)
82 - Fred VanVleet (16.8 PER, 53 TS%, 27 AST%, 24 USG%)

They have pretty spreadsheets now but still haven't the foggiest idea on how to manage them.

Not a single member of the 2K roster team can explain the 5-point gap between Devin Booker and C.J. McCollum, much less the 3-point gap between he & Zach LaVine. They fetishize certain players.

zten11 09-10-2021 03:07 PM

Cavs being as talented as the Jazz.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

ojandpizza 09-10-2021 03:34 PM

Overalls still don't really matter that much if individual stuff is accurate. I haven't even had time to look into individual ratings but just glancing at a players overall always seems like such a shallow way of determining how a player is represented in game. We can't really control how those formulas play out, and trying to adjust things to make one player with a higher PER be rated a overall value higher than someone with a lower PER is just silly IMO.

A guy like Jordan Clarkson has a VERY shallow game. 6th man of the year or not he's an effective off the bench chucker no different than a Jamal Crawford or Lou Williams type of player. I'm sure his advanced metrics fair fondly playing on the best team in the league with the best interior defender always behind him, but he does nothing at all well off ball, isn't a great defender, isn't a great playmaker, is only effective at getting up his shots. I don't think 6th man of the year voting or PER should be any indication of what his overall should be when overall he's not a well rounded player. He's not even efficient at that, and was horrible against playoff defenses yet again.

ojandpizza 09-10-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real2KInsider (Post 2050458821)
77 Bojan Bogdanovic (Starting SF - 2K having his position at PF is an entirely different tangent)
[/b]

But he is their starting PF. O'Neale is their starting SF.

jk31 09-10-2021 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojandpizza (Post 2050459521)
Overalls still don't really matter that much if individual stuff is accurate. I haven't even had time to look into individual ratings but just glancing at a players overall always seems like such a shallow way of determining how a player is represented in game. We can't really control how those formulas play out, and trying to adjust things to make one player with a higher PER be rated a overall value higher than someone with a lower PER is just silly IMO.

A guy like Jordan Clarkson has a VERY shallow game. 6th man of the year or not he's an effective off the bench chucker no different than a Jamal Crawford or Lou Williams type of player. I'm sure his advanced metrics fair fondly playing on the best team in the league with the best interior defender always behind him, but he does nothing at all well off ball, isn't a great defender, isn't a great playmaker, is only effective at getting up his shots. I don't think 6th man of the year voting or PER should be any indication of what his overall should be when overall he's not a well rounded player. He's not even efficient at that, and was horrible against playoff defenses yet again.

problem is that the whole AI coaching AND managing aspect is focused solely on ovr ratings! if a team has a 75, a 74 and a 73 rated SG, the 75 rated one will start, 74 will get like 10 bench minutes and 73 will be out of rotation no matter their individual ratings. the 73 rated player could be the best 3 and d roleplayer of all 3, but only OVR matters.