Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show Sliders (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=579)
-   -   Why are all Sliders at default pitch speeds? (/forums/showthread.php?t=992915)

joshf142 09-27-2021 07:04 PM

Why are all Sliders at default pitch speeds?

Apart from Knucklecuttter's slider set, almost every other sets have Fast Ball and Off Speed settings at 5, or some of you will say "User preference". This makes no sense when you say User Preference when the difference between default pitch speeds and max at 10 is such a massive difference that all the hitting slider settings become meaningless and need a massive tweak. The pitch speed setting should be the first thing you change and everything should stem from that...timing of the pitch is the most important part of hitting. My guess is the majority of players play on a TV instead of a monitor and that's why a slower pitch speed is favored? I think the most realistic way of playing this game is on Legend with pitch speeds maxed out with a monitor cause TVs would make it far too difficult to play that way.

JoshC1977 09-28-2021 01:39 PM

Re: Why are all Sliders at default pitch speeds?

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshf142 (Post 2050473959)
Apart from Knucklecuttter's slider set, almost every other sets have Fast Ball and Off Speed settings at 5, or some of you will say "User preference". This makes no sense when you say User Preference when the difference between default pitch speeds and max at 10 is such a massive difference that all the hitting slider settings become meaningless and need a massive tweak. The pitch speed setting should be the first thing you change and everything should stem from that...timing of the pitch is the most important part of hitting. My guess is the majority of players play on a TV instead of a monitor and that's why a slower pitch speed is favored? I think the most realistic way of playing this game is on Legend with pitch speeds maxed out with a monitor cause TVs would make it far too difficult to play that way.

Most slider guys acknowledge that it is personal preference as using high pitch speeds isn't skill-based (as you alluded to) but is a function of the input lag from the display.

Camera angles are also a variable...changing one's perception of pitch speeds and types, with more zoomed out cameras being more challenging.

northmen24 09-29-2021 07:34 AM

I use S&B with pitch speeds maxed and hitting on veteran. Everything else is what the op says.

TheWarmWind 09-29-2021 09:44 AM

I've done extensive testing with different pitch speeds, particularly at max, and my test results showed that any difference it makes is negligible. Timing windows are within margin of error, you just have less time to make a decision on the pitch.

That's why I say user preference.

awffltony77 10-04-2021 12:09 AM

Max pitch speeds lmao.

Turns the game into fast pitch girls softball. Not reading anything, just reacting. And then once you are accustomed its actually way easier.

Aaaaaand it makes every pitcher the same...

joshf142 10-04-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awffltony77 (Post 2050478068)
Max pitch speeds lmao.

Turns the game into fast pitch girls softball. Not reading anything, just reacting. And then once you are accustomed its actually way easier.

Aaaaaand it makes every pitcher the same...

Really dude?, the fact you're saying that you haven't played enough Legend at max pitch speeds to notice any difference. To you its prolly all a blur so you can't differentiate between a change up and fast ball. You need to play at All-Star with Default pitch speeds to notice a difference in change or break, while I can tell a difference cause I actually put in the effort and work, so get outta here with that mediocre garbage.

Funkycorm 10-05-2021 04:47 PM

First a lot of the sliders will not be impacted by pitch speed. The fielding, pitching, and running ones don't amongst others.

It all comes back to what people define as simulation and realistic. These 2 words are thrown around as if they have a universal meaning.

What is simulation or realistic to me likely isn't the same for the next.

It's hard to argue that one pitch speed and difficulty is the most realistic or simulation. It may be to you. But to me, legend and 10 pitch speed isn't realistic.

It is also about outcomes. There are differences in outcomes amongst different difficulties in the mind of many. There are users, myself included, that feel all star delivers the most balanced results based on a combination of skill and player ratings.

Another thing to keep in mind as sliders are being created is that not everyone has the gaming reflexes of a 20 year old. Some of us are older, with kids, working 40+ hours a week and just want to kick back to a fun experience without having to be on point the entire game.

In the end, slider makers share sliders they design for themselves. Other can use it as a base and adjust as needed.

Leaving pitch speeds at 7/7 for me produces what I want in results. It is realistic and simulation to me. A few notches up or down on pitch speeds won't impact that substantially so I don't change it.

northmen24 10-06-2021 01:02 PM

Max pitch speeds make fastballs, fastballs. Anything lower than 7 you can see the writing On the ball.