Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Basketball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   2021-22 NBA Trade Deadline (/forums/showthread.php?t=994774)

ojandpizza 12-07-2021 02:23 PM

2021-22 NBA Trade Deadline

Might as well start this up with the Indiana news..

georgiafan 12-10-2021 04:44 PM

Re: 2021-22 NBA Trade Deadline

@wojespn

ESPN reporting with @ZachLowe_NBA
: Philadelphia's trade conversations on Ben Simmons gathering momentum in recent days. More teams engaged, more two and three-way deal structure talks ongoing as 76ers try to land a Top 25 player for Simmons.

The Portland Trail Blazers have made clear to the 76ers that All-NBA guard Damian Lillard is not available to be discussed in trade talks and franchise has no interest in moving him, sources tell ESPN.

ojandpizza 12-13-2021 05:25 PM

"Lakers join teams interested in Ben Simmons"... Seems like strong clickbait but in a hypothetical scenario I wonder if Westbrook was one of the 30 players that Morey listed as a return for option for Ben?

I don't think (actually pretty certain that I know) the Lakers would not trade Russ after AD and Bron supposedly wanted him, they orchestrated the move for him to "come home", etc..

But in theory that would be the best way for them to fix their issues for a few reasons.

1.) Ben's defense gives them their biggest need right now. And the fact that he is a big as he is it also gives Ben-Bron-Davis the switchability and size to not worry about needing to play DJ and Dwight as much (if at all).

2.) The contract difference - Because of the money here Lakers could aim to get back a guy like Thybulle, Green, Curry... Curry is probably the most unlikely (though he would help the Lakers the most) but money wise Simmons+Thybulle+Green would work. Not that the sixers would give up all 3 just in theory.

3.) The amount of money for 3-way trades.. The higher the outgoing salary the easier it is to match that 80% to make trades work. For example even in receiving Ben and say Thybulle the outgoing money to receive another payer drops significantly. So for guys like Jerami Grant and Myles Turner who the Lakers are also "rumored" to be interested in the only outgoing salary required is THT. So if let's say the Pistons are interested in swapping Grant for THT the Lakers don't need to also include Nunn, plus some minimum deals to pull a trade because of the larger dollars and Westbrook making so much more than Ben..

Basically the Lakers could swap Ben and THT + a min deal like DJ/Ellington/AB and get back Ben, Thybulle, Grant... In theory, not saying that is likely. Swap Thybulle with Green and they can still pull of that move by including Nunn. Swap Grant for someone they originally wanted in Buddy Hield and the trade still works. Swap it for Turner, LeVert, Eric Gordon, Christian Wood, anyone else who might be available around 20 mil and it still works.

Basically Westbrook for Ben might not move the needle a ton but the door it opens for the possibility of a 3-team deal could potentially move the needle a ton.

Master Live 013 12-13-2021 05:59 PM

Oh so the Lakers are getting Ben and Thybulle for Westbrick? Come on. Hopefully Morey isn't on opioids.

The guy doesn't play any defense, bricks shot all over (inefficient) and his best move, going to the basket, is congested by Embiid which is the same problem that they have right now with Simmons.

ojandpizza 12-13-2021 06:25 PM

No idea what they would trade or what they would ask for from the Lakers in addition. I was just saying money wise hence all the “in theory”.. and replace Thybulle with Green, Curry, whoever. Ultimately I think it’s more likely that the Lakers wouldn’t do the trade. Especially since the Westbrook “fit” appears to be getting better as the year goes on.

Sixers want a “star” whatever the opinion of Westbrook might be from some he might be the only star that anybody offers them. It’s easy to say “Ben and whoever” like that’s too much, but really it’s whoever and some guy that won’t even suit up for them and is causing them a bigger headache than anybody in recent memory. Plus I don’t know what they would be getting in addition to Westbrook.. first round pick, Nunn, Monk, etc. I was more so just trying to point out that Westbrook for Ben allows them back more salaries and big possibilities of getting more out of THT in an outgoing trade by doing this trade and incorporating 3 teams.

georgiafan 12-14-2021 08:56 AM

Lakers don't even have the assets to get Grant from Detroit much less Ben. They put all their assets they had in Westbrook trade. If they had done the Hield trade then his salary might have been enough to get you a difference maker. THT + Nunn and a 1st 6 years from now isn't enough for anyone.

illwill10 12-14-2021 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Live 013 (Post 2050520073)
Oh so the Lakers are getting Ben and Thybulle for Westbrick? Come on. Hopefully Morey isn't on opioids.

The guy doesn't play any defense, bricks shot all over (inefficient) and his best move, going to the basket, is congested by Embiid which is the same problem that they have right now with Simmons.

No thank you. Westbrook is at the point where he's still good. But, probably is best suited to be a mid-tier team with no real expectations to make noise in the playoffs.

Sixers need someone who can take some of the offensive load off Joel and that can command a double team. Ideally Tobias needed to step it up this year, but he has been a disappointment. This team needs him to be a legit #2 option, but too many times he is the 3rd or 4th scorer. Last 5 games, he only attempted over 13 FGs once. He is only good for 16-22 points a game. It's either coming from 12-15 attempts or 18-20 shots. I'm all for trading him as well.

A "top 25" player is a bit much. For me, it's about fit. We don't need a few role players. Our bench is solid this year. We could use a backup PG and Furkan has had a down year after a good start at SF. Right now, improving the Wing and having another player who can create quickly for themselves. It starts with whether they want a PG/lead guard or a wing as the primary compensation. The first question is whether to stick with Maxey as the lead guard or go after a PG. Out of the realistic PG options, most cases I rather stick with Maxey. Someone like Fox, would have been a top choice in the summer. But now, I rather stick with Maxey. But, a PG I would want is Fred Vanvleet. Other question is wing. I feel wing is a the bigger question. Ideally, we need someone who can score 25-30 a night. But they would also need to be able to fit alongside Tobias. Which is why, I'm for trading Tobias. Whoever comes back, is ideally the 2nd option. I think Seth makes a better 3rd option than Tobias does.

In the end, I dont see a "top 25" player deal. I think it is more likely a 3-4 team deal. If they can get a wing and bench scorer, it can make this team better. When Shake isn't making shots, they don't have a bench scorer just floor spacers.

georgiafan 12-14-2021 08:29 PM

You think kings are the best shoot to trade for Harris ?