Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   MLB 22 PS4 vs PS5 (/forums/showthread.php?t=997092)

tc020791 03-31-2022 07:58 PM

MLB 22 PS4 vs PS5

Curious if there’s any big differences between the two versions. I know PS5 has the stadium creator, but PS4 has sounds of the show (SOTS). I don’t really care about stadium creator and really like SOTS, plus it sounds like you can transfer saves between versions as well. Is there anything else that the PS5 version has that I’m missing? Very seriously debating going with the PS4 version. Love to hear others thoughts.

TheBleedingRed21 03-31-2022 08:04 PM

Re: MLB 22 PS4 vs PS5

From someone who played both last year, gameplay had no differences but graphics were better (albeit not much) on PS5, everything was just more crisp and I swear dirt looked better.

It’s definitely a decision to make, I just stuck with PS5 version last year though.

kb1212 03-31-2022 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21 (Post 2050570556)
From someone who played both last year, gameplay had no differences but graphics were better (albeit not much) on PS5, everything was just more crisp and I swear dirt looked better.

It’s definitely a decision to make, I just stuck with PS5 version last year though.

Just curious…were you playing ps4 version on ps5 or ps4…if you played ps4 version on ps5 did you change the audio/video settings to sharper to see if they made the versions closer graphically

franch1se 03-31-2022 09:40 PM

PS5 load times were much faster that was about it. Graphics were almost the same to me. What i did since saves were transferrable was i played road games on the PS5 version and home games on the PS4 version w SOTS. The one thing i did notice on the ps4 version (playing on my ps5) was that cleats and some other equipment would flicker and was very annoying.

Incognito 04-01-2022 12:54 AM

Most significant difference for me was loading times. PS5 had slightly sharper resolution, but the graphics models looked about the same to me.

I ended up sticking with the PS4 version because SOTS is a big deal to me, and will do the same in MLB '22.

LastActionHero 04-01-2022 08:01 AM

4k 60 fps and faster load times were a gamechanger for me last year. This year I hoped for a significant upgrade in the graphics department but unfortunately not much has happened in that area. Haven’t played the PS4 version since The Show 20 so I wouldn’t really know how much it differs now.

TheBleedingRed21 04-01-2022 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1212 (Post 2050570570)
Just curious…were you playing ps4 version on ps5 or ps4…if you played ps4 version on ps5 did you change the audio/video settings to sharper to see if they made the versions closer graphically

All on PS5. PS5 version just renders at a higher detail. Not huge difference, but I did notice enough difference I stuck with PS5. It is all personal, sometimes that small difference is not worth losing SOTS. I liked create a stadium too. Both versions play 60FPS super smooth on PS5.

TheBleedingRed21 04-01-2022 02:31 PM

Decided to install the PS4 version and it is the same thing this year.. slightly higher detail on the PS5 version, but PS4 version set to SHARPER and HDR on... I am finding it hard to spot much difference until you get close up in replay.. I installed both and trying to decide what to do this year.. I really do miss SOTS and I might just use PS4 version this year.

Edit::

After as much quick testing as I had time for...

Biggest differences I could tell:

GUI elements appear to all be 4K while PS4 is not so they just look cleaner (ex: The pitch meter is cleaner on PS5, no jaggies at all, PS4 on Sharper has very minor AA issue)
Transition Wipes, etc. are 4K, PS4 appears to not be (can see more detail in the 3D elements)
Faces and Uniforms are higher detail (albeit uniforms are not a huge diff)
Loading into game took about 6-8 seconds on PS5 vs PS4 version took around 13-15 seconds.
PS4 Sharper is 60FPS at all times, PS5 version is during gameplay, not 60FPS (small dip) 100% during cutscenes but I am guessing due to higher rendered resolution + extra detail.
PS4 has SOTS while PS5 has create a stadium.

I think all in all, REALLY not a huge difference and will come down to how bad you want SOTS. If I was not hoping back and forth and just loaded the game, it would be hard for me to tell you which version it is, but with that said, hopping back and forth, I could tell enough difference to know which version I was on. Hope this helps anyone.