Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Highlight Reel (/forums/showthread.php?t=997969)

johnnydrum 05-03-2022 06:28 AM

Highlight Reel

Hello. Can anyone help with this, minor, but annoying issue. Maybe it's something I am not selecting, or is it simply different this year.
(Apologies I have posted this on another thread, but not perhaps in the correct place.)

Highlight Reel.....

One thing that has disappointed me, is that in previous versions, the post game "Highlight Reel" (accessed via the Replay Vault) would have running captions (the bottom of the screen) informing which inning, which player etc that was associated with the current highlight....

In this years game (PS4) the H/L reel seems very brief (doesn't even show you every H/R? from the game) and no longer has the captions?

Seems a rather odd thing to remove?

icicle22 05-03-2022 09:51 AM

Re: Highlight Reel

I'm honestly surprised how poorly this is implemented. It almost never shows the most interesting plays from you game and the angles it chooses are weak in my opinion. I don't need to see non stop closeups of just the batter on moon shots or awesome shots to the gap. I'd rather see the ball in play. But that's just me.

I really wish they give us a broadcast replay option like Triple Play used to have where during manual replays you actually could pick cameras located all around the park and the camera would pan and follow the ball. It looked so much better than this method they have now where the replay looks nothing like a game broadcast and is actually awkward and cumbersome to navigate. It would be great if we are using it to just zoom and see if a ball was fair or foul or analyze a tag at 2nd base....but when I engage the replay cause I want to see how awesome a play looked, it is underwhelming and just reminds me I am in a "fake" game world.

LastActionHero 05-03-2022 10:08 AM

Agreed that the angles are pretty bad in these highlight reels.

johnnydrum 05-03-2022 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icicle22 (Post 2050592758)
I'm honestly surprised how poorly this is implemented. It almost never shows the most interesting plays from you game and the angles it chooses are weak in my opinion. I don't need to see non stop closeups of just the batter on moon shots or awesome shots to the gap. I'd rather see the ball in play. But that's just me.

In MLB19---the Post Game Highlight Reel would show StrikeOuts, Double Plays, Catches etc as well as any hits---and would dispaly a graphic introducing which Inning, and which players and the current Score change on each Highlight reel....

Its bizarre that the developers "removed" it?

SmashMan 05-03-2022 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnydrum (Post 2050592783)
In MLB19---the Post Game Highlight Reel would show StrikeOuts, Double Plays, Catches etc as well as any hits---and would dispaly a graphic introducing which Inning, and which players and the current Score change on each Highlight reel....

Its bizarre that the developers "removed" it?

Not really, to be honest. Post-game highlight reels on actual MLB broadcasts don't show every important play, and none of them display inning, players, and/or score changes through captions.

From a videogame perspective, all that data might be helpful or make more sense. But if The Show is aiming to mimic a real-life broadcast, a quick 15-30 second highlight reel is more realistic.

icicle22 05-03-2022 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmashMan (Post 2050592798)
Not really, to be honest. Post-game highlight reels on actual MLB broadcasts don't show every important play, and none of them display inning, players, and/or score changes through captions.

From a videogame perspective, all that data might be helpful or make more sense. But if The Show is aiming to mimic a real-life broadcast, a quick 15-30 second highlight reel is more realistic.

Usually that kind of 15-30 second highlight reel is shown behind some credits/graphics or at the minimum while announcers are saying their goodbyes. It makes the footage look more like and interesting background montage and is cool when done right.

The way it is presented in MLB22 is more like "look at these highlights from the game" and then it just show a few creative angles of some plays. Out of context is seems very disjointed.

Still....I could live with this if I could go view replays or create highlight reels myself but the actual instant replay mechanism is terrible other than to move the camera around the stadium and look at stuff. At the bare minimum we should be able to move the camera where ever we want (like it is) but tell the camera to follow the ball path but not physically move. You know, how a camera man pans the camera to follow from home plate to the gap in the outfield without actually floating up in the air "with" the ball or "gliding" across the field. If we could at least do this it would help. Think of how some of the NBA2k replay cameras are....that is what we'd need to make it look like a broadcast and not like a video game.