Home

Hall Of Fame: Yes Or No?

This is a discussion on Hall Of Fame: Yes Or No? within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #65
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Hall Of Fame: Yes Or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterZ
Raines' exclusion is egregious. Guy was an incredible player. First-ballot guy in my book.
If it wasn't for Rickey Henderson dominating all of MLB as a base stealer and such Raines would be remembered much more favorably. I also think playing in Montreal before the age of sports packages like Extra Innings may have hurt him as he didn't get the exposure he deserved.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #66
Banned

OVR: 14

.273/.352/.499, 142 OPS+

- Eighth in career home runs (382) by a right-handed batter at the time of his retirement.

Those numbers were good for a microscopic 1.4% of the vote the only year Frank Howard was on the ballot. To give you an idea of how mind blowing that is, even Willie McGee stayed on the ballot for two years. It's absolute garbage Frank Howard didn't get any consideration.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #67
LOB

Coug00's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing
Ted Williams. Babe Ruth. Stan Musial. Rogers Hornsby. Lou Gehrig.

Arguably the five greatest baseball players of all-time. What is the one stat they all have in common?

.300/.400/.500, 2,000 hits, 300 home runs, 500 doubles, 1,000 walks.

You know who else holds those same numbers?

Nearly every retired player with a .300/.400/.500 line is in the Hall Of Fame. The only two not in are Shoeless Joe Jackson and Edgar Martinez. Joe is not in for obvious reasons and Edgar is just about to enter his first year of eligibility.

If Edgar doesn't make the Hall, it'll be the biggest screw-up in BBWAA history and that's saying something.
Joe Pa hit one out of the park regarding Edgar on his blog.

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009...fame-thoughts/

Quote:
– Edgar Martinez’s career average is .312 — since the end of World War II (not including active players) only seven men with 7,500 or-more at bats have a better batting average (Gwynn, Boggs, Carew, Musial, Puckett, Clemente, Larry Walker).
– Edgar Martinez’s career on-base percentage is .418 — FOUR ONE EIGHT. Only Bonds, Mantle and Frank Thomas have a better on-base percentage using the same criteria (since 1945, 7,500 at-bats, non-active).
– Edgar Martinez slugged .515 — the same as Willie McCovey. Admittedly, it was a different era (and Edgar only once hit more than 30 home runs), but the point here is that Martinez was not a slappy hitter.
– Edgar led the league in hitting twice, in on-base percentage three times, in runs once, in RBIs once and in doubles twice. I’ve often said that one of the great MVP rip-offs in baseball history was when Mo Vaughn won in 1995 over Albert Belle — who hit 50 homers and 50 doubles in a strike-shortened season, one of the great hitting years in baseball history. Edgar, you could argue, had an even BETTER YEAR than Belle (.356/.479/.628 with 121 runs, 116 walks, 113 RBIs, a 185 OPS+).

Quote:
The Hall of Fame is loaded, absolutely loaded with players who were not nearly as good at hitting a baseball as Edgar Martinez. Compare him as a hitter with almost anyone you think in recent years — George Brett, Wade Boggs, Rod Carew, Billy Williams, Roberto Clemente, Al Kaline or Yaz. You’ll be surprised.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #68
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Franchise
Obvious steroid user.
I don't see this at all...dude has never had a steroid body and has just gotten fat as he's gotten older. If he'd have kept himself in shape he'd be a HOF'r someday...instead he's pretty much washed up at 32.

One thing that gets neglected I think is that players that come up young (Jones at 19, Griffey at 19) start breaking down in their early 30's. Jones played a lot of games during his 20's (roughly 170/year).

He has just never struck me as a steroids guy though...
Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #69
MVP

OVR: 46

Bert Blyleven

I have a blog about this. He definitely has a case.
Since 1900, Bert Blyleven ranks 5th in career strikeouts, 8th in shutouts, and 17th in wins.

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives...all_of_fam.php
Old 11-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #70
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

It's an absolute crime that Blyleven hasn't been elected yet.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #71
Banned

BunnyHardaway's Arena

OVR: 36

Given 6-8 more productive years, Brian Roberts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #72
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Bert "Be home by eleven" should be in the Hall as should Jack Morris. It's a shame that these guys get overlooked because they were in an era where ERA were higher and guys ended up with misleading W-L records because the bullpen management wasn't what it is today.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »