Home

Brewers to erect Seven Foot tall Statue of Bud Selig outside Miller Park

This is a discussion on Brewers to erect Seven Foot tall Statue of Bud Selig outside Miller Park within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #41
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Brewers to erect Seven Foot tall Statue of Bud Selig outside Miller Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
You are really taking up for Selig, Road.
Yeah, I need to. I'm a Brewer fan true and blue. Not looking at his commish side, I already know the results of that for me.

Rsox you are correct that comprehend was too strong of a word. Red Sox fans are good overall baseball fans.

The first 8 yrs the Brewers were in the league, they were horrible. If you like to bring up records, from 1978 to 1992(the year Selig gave ownership over to his daughter, terrible mistake) the Brewers had 12 yrs of .500 ball or higher. Seem like they competed those years, wouldn't you agree? That's a pretty good run. Some teams would be real happy with that run. In 1992, he became Acting Commish and gave ownership rights to his daughter. Her incompetence ruined a decade of Brewer baseball. Maybe Selig was just trying too hard to keep the Brewers in Milwaukee instead of selling the team to an out of town owner.

He did have the state buzzing in the WS year of 1982. There are some teams that never make it to the WS. I only need to point to a team 90 miles south of Milwaukee who always have had a higher payroll and never seen the WS since Seligs ownership and beyond that.

There is no doubt that the Milwaukee Brewers that we know today doesn't exist without Bud Selig. That is something that is undeniable.

It depends on how you interpret what is a great owner. I just don't look at the WS trophies or rings as the only thing determining what makes a great owner. 12 out of 22 years Selig owned the team (1970-92), the Brewers played 500 ball or better. Throw together he brought the team back to Milwaukee and kept them here, plus one WS trip, I would categorize that as a good to great owner.

Maybe his statue shouldn't be bronze as he gave up ownership rights to his daughter.

Last edited by roadman; 02-16-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #42
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

I'd rather have a crappy team to cheer for than no team at all.

Selig deserves recognition for keeping baseball here.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #43
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Yeah, people who've never lost, or never felt in danger of losing their team wouldn't understand. That being said I only remember the Brewers sucking growing up. In fact, I was always like "how is this Robin Yount dude an all -star?" He was a .260 hitter with 15 homers. He was Todd Zeile to me, lol.

The 3 greatest Brewers.. Teddy Higuera, Chris Bosio, Paul Molitor (but to me Molitor is a Blue Jay). (And not in that order)

That being said, Selig kept them there, and it's the Brewers' right to celebrate that however they want.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #44
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchingcoach36
Yeah, people who've never lost, or never felt in danger of losing their team wouldn't understand. That being said I only remember the Brewers sucking growing up. In fact, I was always like "how is this Robin Yount dude an all -star?" He was a .260 hitter with 15 homers. He was Todd Zeile to me, lol.

The 3 greatest Brewers.. Teddy Higuera, Chris Bosio, Paul Molitor (but to me Molitor is a Blue Jay). (And not in that order)

That being said, Selig kept them there, and it's the Brewers' right to celebrate that however they want.
Yount was a career .285 hitter. He's a member of the 3000 hit club. Yount is one of only 3 players to win the AL MVP from multiple positions, SS and CF. He was much, much better than you're giving him credit for.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #45
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchingcoach36

Meh, I don't consider Teddy top three because he was injury prone.

Robin Yount is in the HOF for his longevity, 2 or 3 MVP awards, and as the other poster mentioned, he played SS and CF, 2 of the 3 hardest positions in baseball. Plus, he had 3,000 hits to boot. That's an automatic shoe-in for the HOF.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #46
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy

However, the bad far outweighs the good in my mind. Case-in-point, if you weighed both sides on a scale (the good he did for baseball and the bad he did for baseball) which side is more impactful? Regardless of the city one is in, there is no denying the facts.
National will always outweigh the local.

There is no doubt that Selig is mostly recognized as the commissioner because he's the commish of the entire league and his face and decisions rest on everything the league does and every team does.

When he was owner of the Brewers, the only people that really cared were those in Milwaukee.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »