Home

Losing team accuses Winning team of cheating....again

This is a discussion on Losing team accuses Winning team of cheating....again within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Losing team accuses Winning team of cheating....again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Here's the thing I don't understand, how the heck is a fan sitting in the stands supposed to tell what's being called? I guess they can look at the opponents dugout and do it that way but then why go to all that trouble when you can do that on the field if you're the Blue Jays. I mean sitting in the stands wouldn't it be a bit hard to see the catcher's fingers going through the signs?
I know 300 feet and 400 feet are completely different, but as a CF, I had no problem seeing what my catcher was calling, ever. I'll have to test this the next time that I go to a game, but it might not be impossible to see signs from CF.

Anyway, somebody else was asking about how they tip the hitter. It's not like a fan would hold up a sign or some number of fingers from CF. There are so many other ways they could approach this. Fold arms, bend over, look left/right, rest chin on hand and elbow on armrest, lean back, scratch arm, cup hands together... the list never ends. In baseball, we did things as elementary as calling our name for a fastball, number for a breaking ball, and nickname for an off-speed pitch; we also did things as advanced as listening to who chants first (you have to know your players' voices), the number of times someone banged against the dugout fence/rail, or certain sayings (like an inside pitch would have them saying "Turn on one, kid!" and a changeup would be "Good hands, now!").

Pretty simple stuff, and completely legal. When the fans are getting involved? You're kind of pushing things, aren't ya? It's like if a guy was watching the game in the clubhouse, then radioing it to someone in the dugout, who would now cue you up. Sign-stealing is one of those "unwritten rules" that might get you plunked on the field or get the other team barking, but it should stay out of the media and the commissioner's office. The number one rule of sign-stealing is don't get caught doing it. You'll only disadvantage yourself if you are.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 06-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

OVR: 36
Hammels was complaining about how well they hit his breaking balls. Fun fact: Every one of the Jays' for solo dingers were off of fastballs.

Does anyone really care where I sent this from?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #19
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones

As I recall, the unnamed team with the original complaints from early 2010 was the White Sox.
You recall correctly, I think the Yankees also threw in some accusations as well.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39

I hope winning teams start accusing the Padres of cheating. It's unfair when other teams show up to games and put in effort for their wins while the Padres have taken the whole season off.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #21
MVP

ewingandoakley's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydrogerdavid
But Kenny Rodgers did cheat in 2006.

What the hell is that? It looks like sh*t!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Griffey Jr
Why should I stretch? Does a cheetah stretch before it chases its prey?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Damon
I just go out and play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingandoakley
What the hell is that? It looks like sh*t!
I think it was pine tar.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 06-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #23
We'll waste him too.

snepp's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
I think it was pine tar.

Nope, it's ****.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #24
MVP

jth1331's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I know 300 feet and 400 feet are completely different, but as a CF, I had no problem seeing what my catcher was calling, ever. I'll have to test this the next time that I go to a game, but it might not be impossible to see signs from CF.

Anyway, somebody else was asking about how they tip the hitter. It's not like a fan would hold up a sign or some number of fingers from CF. There are so many other ways they could approach this. Fold arms, bend over, look left/right, rest chin on hand and elbow on armrest, lean back, scratch arm, cup hands together... the list never ends. In baseball, we did things as elementary as calling our name for a fastball, number for a breaking ball, and nickname for an off-speed pitch; we also did things as advanced as listening to who chants first (you have to know your players' voices), the number of times someone banged against the dugout fence/rail, or certain sayings (like an inside pitch would have them saying "Turn on one, kid!" and a changeup would be "Good hands, now!").

Pretty simple stuff, and completely legal. When the fans are getting involved? You're kind of pushing things, aren't ya? It's like if a guy was watching the game in the clubhouse, then radioing it to someone in the dugout, who would now cue you up. Sign-stealing is one of those "unwritten rules" that might get you plunked on the field or get the other team barking, but it should stay out of the media and the commissioner's office. The number one rule of sign-stealing is don't get caught doing it. You'll only disadvantage yourself if you are.
To me, it just seems like it might be a tad too much for the hitter to look at a fan in the stands 400 feet away quickly, then back in time to see the pitcher pitch the ball. Seems like it would tie up the hitter possibly too much.
5 Heisman Trophy Winners
#1 in weeks ranked #1 in AP Poll
#1 in weeks ranked top 5 in AP Poll
#1 in wins/winning percentage since 1946
Oklahoma Sooners, Boomer Sooner!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »