Home

BASEBALL NEEDS A PITCH CLOCK! (equal of nba shot clock/nfl playclock)

This is a discussion on BASEBALL NEEDS A PITCH CLOCK! (equal of nba shot clock/nfl playclock) within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: BASEBALL NEEDS A PITCH CLOCK! (equal of nba shot clock/nfl playclock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Aren't those "TV timeouts" just the pitcher coming from the bullpen and taking his allotted warmup pitches from the mound?
You would be correct,

As for the pitch clock, I dunno if that'd work. It doesn't address situations where hitters INTENTIONALLY step out and drag the game along. (i'm looking at you Red Sox and Yankees) I think pitchers just need to do what Mark Buehrle does and just take the sign from the catcher maybe shake the catcher off once but for the most part just go with it and PITCH.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Look at some pitchers in the MLB like Mark Buehrle, his games usually last around 2hrs cause of how fast he pitches.
I remember an Indians/White Sox opening day game that had Buehrle pitching against Jake Westbrook that ended in about 90 minutes. The game started at around 2:05 and was well over by 3:45.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
I remember an Indians/White Sox opening day game that had Buehrle pitching against Jake Westbrook that ended in about 90 minutes. The game started at around 2:05 and was well over by 3:45.
I was at a Buehrle-Pavano game that took about 1:45. They were dealing and not wasting any time. Twins won by a run, and it's a good thing they pitched fast because not 10 minutes after the game, there was a massive thunderstorm with a tornado warning about 5 miles north of the stadium. We were in a luxury suite that we all chipped in on for a birthday. It was actually pretty cool sitting in there watching all hell break loose from the sky. Saw a couple lightning bolts hit the tall buildings downtown.

Here's the box score (official game time was actually 1:52)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...01007170.shtml
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

The umpires need to enforce the rules, and the batters need to be pressured to stay inside the batter's box. I would also look at getting rid of some of the frivolities at the ballpark that slow the game down, especially the playing of "God Bless America" during every seventh inning. There was a time where Arlington Stadium/The Ballpark In Arlington would only play "Cotten Eyed Joe" during the seventh and forgo "Take Me Out To The Ballgame." A lot of the in-between stuff gets in the way.

I would also look at limiting the number of times a pitching coach or manager could go to the mound. I believe in Japan they limit the number to two per game, but I'm not certain.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

I don't think there should be an actual clock...
But the umpires should simply signal to the batters....that they must stay in the box in between pitches or if they step out it must be very quick..and the same for pitchers.....signal them that they must pitch.
The players will get used to it and after a while....you won't even need the reminders.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 07-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 15

If I'm paying $30 plus for a ticket the game could last 5 hours for all I care.

As for the 30 to 40 second clock between pitches suggestion, just do the math.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
They would also need to enforce hitters staying in the box. The batter should get 5 seconds and then the pitcher gets 15 after that. That would be 20 seconds, plenty of time to get the signal and throw the ball.

What will happen though is a lot of time outs and the catcher holding the ball to give the pitcher more time to rest between pitches.
You can't enforce a hitter to stay in the box. What if there's a bug in his eye, etc. But I don't like when they call time after the pitcher has pretty much started his delivery. Also, limit it to stepping out once per AB. Sometimes it's a ploy by the batter, but then it's also a counter to a pitcher taking an inordinate amount of time to throw the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #16
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

I seriously can't stand it when its 9pm in the middle of the 4th.

I don't know what they could do to speed up the game other than calling a rulebook strikezone. And the umps seem incapable of that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »