Home

MLB Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MLB Off-Topic within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #11913
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: MLB Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
Groundhog Day... That's the movie where Barry Bonds kept reliving the day of his Pittsburgh jersey retirement right?
You mean August 11, 2018 in a game featuring the SF Giants hosting the Pittsburgh Pirates? That jersey retirement?

10/10 would watch.

Bill Murray plays Barry Bonds.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:00 PM   #11914
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
That proposal is basically the 8th wonder of the world.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
*9th wonder

Last edited by l3ulvl; 11-30-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:10 PM   #11915

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
Groundhog Day... That's the movie where Barry Bonds kept reliving the day of his Pittsburgh jersey retirement right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2018, 06:23 AM   #11916
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
*9th wonder

10th* wonder

Old 12-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #11917
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdiddy
There’s what 225 pitchers in NL, so yea 3 can somewhat hit once in awhile, is that really justification for keeping DH out of NL? I get the added strategy to the game and all but it’s time has past with not having DH in NL. Pitchers are way to expensive and way to in demand to be risking that one time they actually get a hit, especially when it’s not done in the minors anymore

Ohtani in a year or 2 will be one or the other full time, as he gets a bigger contract and/or more injuries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't see the justification for the dh in general. Why do we want to single pitchers out as being the only players on the team who don't have to play both ways? Yeah it creates more offense, but that's just part of the game.

I'm not advocating it's removal from the AL, just to keep the status quo. It always seemed a strange mentality to me to treat pitchers differently. They only play once every 5 days due to wear and tear of their position but when they are in why shouldn't they be a normal member of the roster?

Sent from my Pixel using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #11918
Pro

Qdiddy's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
I don't see the justification for the dh in general. Why do we want to single pitchers out as being the only players on the team who don't have to play both ways? Yeah it creates more offense, but that's just part of the game.

I'm not advocating it's removal from the AL, just to keep the status quo. It always seemed a strange mentality to me to treat pitchers differently. They only play once every 5 days due to wear and tear of their position but when they are in why shouldn't they be a normal member of the roster?

You’ve obviously never pitched before in a competitive way if you really think it’s as simple as just pitching one day and getting 4 days off

Syracuse Orange

XB1 GT: H8ter Nation79
Old 12-05-2018, 07:55 PM   #11919
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls

To counter this. A pitcher is more involved in the game than any position but catcher. So maybe having them bat is excessive.

"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 12-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #11920
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdiddy
You’ve obviously never pitched before in a competitive way if you really think it’s as simple as just pitching one day and getting 4 days off

Aside from the unnecessary condescending tone of that statement, not to mention the extreme inadequacy of your assumption (even if I had never touched a baseball in my life your comment wouldn't make any sense). What's your point? I thought we were talking about DH in the NL? Now you're deflecting to semantics because I didn't mention the day to day routine when a pitcher's turn in the rotation is up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
To counter this. A pitcher is more involved in the game than any position but catcher. So maybe having them bat is excessive.

I mean that's fair, but we're also only talking about 2-3 at bats a week. I don't think that's putting an unreasonable strain.

Last edited by KSUowls; 12-06-2018 at 11:28 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »