Home

MLB Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MLB Off-Topic within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
2018 Sports Game of the Year Award Winners
Best Feature of 2018 Roundtable
Best Indie Game of 2018 Roundtable

Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #12529
Jr.
That ball was Bryzzo'd

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: MLB Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury112491
I feel like you didnít read what I wrote.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
The chance of injury is the only thing baseball has over football in your point. Quarterbacks are playing longer than ever, and the percentage of players that play professional baseball that make it to the major league level is very small.

Ultimately the points you're arguing only apply to the best of best in baseball. Murray would have at least two years to even get to that level more than likely, then another 6 to reap the financial benefits he can get 4 months from now in football (barring changes to the CBA in a couple of years)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Old 02-11-2019, 09:02 PM   #12530
50 years later

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
I feel like you didnít read what I wrote.

I feel like you post with too sour of an attitude.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:51 PM   #12531

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
You can also offer a longer career, way lower chance of injury, and the probability of greater earning potential over the course of a career.

Guaranteed > Probability
Old 02-12-2019, 03:27 AM   #12532
MVP

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0

If he were great (which would probably mean he got to majors at an earlier age), once he got to the majors it would take him 3 years, not 6, to start reaping the financial benefits. Plus is he were truly great the A's might have given him a "Longoria" deal (taking into account that this is a special situation) were he is signed to contract that covers arbitration years plus some years at the start of free agency.

Last edited by Master Live 013; 02-12-2019 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:22 AM   #12533
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

While I think he is likely going the NFL route and it will be most successful for him, he has to see where he is going to end up in the draft. If teams think he is playing a leverage card and still might have his mind set on baseball (he still does have a baseball agent, correct?), I would be afraid of using a draft pick on him if I thought he had any doubts or if I did about him. He is a 5'9" quarterback, so unless he is going to be your franchise QB you have to be careful. On that note, if he is a 4th round draft pick and riding the bench, the A's still have the rights to him and will be waiting... he could always just abandon ship and jump that way.

Again, I think he's just trying to squeeze out as much as he can get, either from a baseball contract perspective or maybe a high draft pick perspective. Of course with the Combine coming around he's going to say he has his sights on football; that's a perfect PR move. Only in this case, I think he's being legitimate about it. Though still, if that doesn't work out for him the way that he wants, I see no reason why he might not change his mind.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #12534
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
The chance of injury is the only thing baseball has over football in your point. Quarterbacks are playing longer than ever, and the percentage of players that play professional baseball that make it to the major league level is very small.

Ultimately the points you're arguing only apply to the best of best in baseball. Murray would have at least two years to even get to that level more than likely, then another 6 to reap the financial benefits he can get 4 months from now in football (barring changes to the CBA in a couple of years)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app

Fair enough. Iíll concede that full career as an NFL starting QB could compete money wise with an MLB player. After looking more into the numbers my argument really applies more to every position EXCEPT QB lol.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #12535
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

OVR: 0

Not surprised he went to the NFL, he's hot property there and will get paid, no doubt about it. Baseball he's looking at a decade before really getting paid, but in reality he probably wouldn't ever even get there. For all the talk of him, I've never seen anyone actually mention his baseball ability
Old 02-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #12536

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
While I think he is likely going the NFL route and it will be most successful for him, he has to see where he is going to end up in the draft.

He already made up his mind yesterday when he declared for the NFL and agreed to pay the Aís back his signing bonus.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »