Home

MLB Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MLB Off-Topic within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #8649
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: MLB Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Gosh, why won't these teams create a unique field. I've said it before but I'd love to see an OF wall that was straight from foul line to foul line but with a gradually hightend wall as it gets to CF.

That's my Blzr idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
holy **** that would be terrifying, we might as well have a moat on the other side of the fence full of sharks and gators
There is a high school in our baseball division (back when I was in HS) whose baseball field actually did this (the shape of fair ground was essentially an isosceles triangle) because of the narrow configuration of the high school itself.

I'm pulling this from Google Maps and drawing over it:

Center field was about 260 feet, and the lines were about 360 feet. I want to clarify that they have since brought in the corners (you can probably see it in the pictures) to about 300 feet even.

Now, center field had a high fence. I'd have to go out there and check it out again, but I want to say it was maybe 25-30 feet tall? Maybe more, can't remember. It spanned pretty far to the power alleys as well (Google Maps doesn't seem to show the fence very well, but I think you can kind of see a brown pole sticking up in LCF that shows the left-end of the high fence).

The catch though is the trees. If it clears the fence but doesn't clear those trees, it's a double. It needs to clear the trees to be a home run, and now you're talking about hitting a towering shot. You can't just hit any regular blast anymore. So hitting it to center field was basically a single-pushing-double off the fence, automatic double over the fence, and home run over the trees. It became a meme before memes existed. If we would hit 350 foot flyouts to center field in other parks, we would say, "That's a double at El Camino."

By the way, playing center field out there was hell. There were roots from the trees everywhere, and I remember the warning track was somewhat sunken, though it did help drainage so we rarely got rained out there if it dumped the night before.

As far as a park "really" doing this, you have no shot unless they maybe decide to go uniform all the way around. I'd say maybe a circular 350-360 feet with an increasing wall from lines to CF (up to like 40-50 feet) is the closest you can get. I don't know how you would make the stands this way though haha. Basically, you're probably SOL.

I loved to draw fictional stadiums as a kid, more so for specific teams than anything else. I think I have posted my Mets and Marlins drawings here before (prior to them making actual stadiums). I should start doing that again. I tried to stay within regular-ish configurations, but I never really made it too generic either.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 09-23-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #8650

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

A stats team was going through every single scoresheet in NHL in its first 70 years and found around 6000 bits of new information. The one getting most publicity is a missing assist for Maurice Richard.

Makes you wonder about other sports, baseball in this instance since I'm posting this here. If there hasn't already been a team doing it, I wonder what types of things they might find if they go through every scorecard in history. Guys might have diff career totals and records might actually be diff.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #8651
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
A stats team was going through every single scoresheet in NHL in its first 70 years and found around 6000 bits of new information. The one getting most publicity is a missing assist for Maurice Richard.

Makes you wonder about other sports, baseball in this instance since I'm posting this here. If there hasn't already been a team doing it, I wonder what types of things they might find if they go through every scorecard in history. Guys might have diff career totals and records might actually be diff.
They've done it. Found missing hits and RBI.

I think they found some rbi or hits for Ruth. Ted Williams had a total of something go up too. Just the notable names I recall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #8652
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMH
They've done it. Found missing hits and RBI.

I think they found some rbi or hits for Ruth. Ted Williams had a total of something go up too. Just the notable names I recall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
One of the most notable changes was the RBI record in a season. When I was a kid, the record everyone talked about was Hack Wilson's 190 RBI. In 1999, they found that an RBI had been missed in a double header and the record was changed to 191. I'm sure there are more.

On another note, the Braves take a lot of flak at times for their lack of attendance. This season they drew over 2.5 million, their 26th straight season drawing over 2 million fans. There is only one other team that has done that (the Dodgers).
Old 09-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #8653
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

All sports leagues have done this to one degree or another. I sometimes see situations where yardage will go up or down for a RB over the course of the week after they go through the initial gamesheet.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 09-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #8654
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

I once made a fake Onion article on Bill Buckner's WS error being changed to an infield single decades later. I'm still waiting for that to actually happen.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 09-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #8655
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I once made a fake Onion article on Bill Buckner's WS error being changed to an infield single decades later. I'm still waiting for that to actually happen.
Aren't Onion articles already fake?

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #8656
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Aren't Onion articles already fake?
Yes, I mean I'm not an author for the site and I didn't publish it. I made it for a friend, we would exchange them time to time. I think I posted it on here in fact.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »