Home

Managerial Moves

This is a discussion on Managerial Moves within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2018, 12:51 AM   #41
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Managerial Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
So I think its ridiculous that there were some Cubs fans, saying he should be fired after they loss the Wild Card game. Talk about what have you did for me lately,lol.
I disagree. While Joe Maddon will go down in history as a Cub great and a good manager, these Cubs teams would've been really good had they been managed by Charlie Brown. The damning thing for Maddon is the last 3 years of results have gone like this:

(2016) World Series win with clearly the best team in baseball--the opening of a long "window"
(2017) An embarrassing NLCS loss to the Dodgers, in what felt like a sweep
(2018) Not even winning the division and getting eliminated without getting to the Divisional Round

In other words, the results have gotten worse despite basically having the same [young and improving] players plus some pricey free agent acquisitions. Maddon certainly has earned the right to finish his original contract, unless the Cubs have a horrific start to 2019 somehow. But, I think it'll be a bit of an audition in 2019 for him if he even deigns to stay in Chicago. With what Theo Epstein has built in Chicago and with what Ricketts has spent in Chicago, the coaching staff needs to get a lot more out of the roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
I think Jody Davis is actually in the Reds organization. Even though I have always hated the Cubs, they had some players thru the yrs that I always liked. Jody Davis is one of their former players I always liked. He would probably make a good manager as well.
My suggestion was kind of a joke just listing off random former Cubs catchers. I believe that both Jody Davis and Damon Berryhill are managing in the minors.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2018, 01:33 AM   #42
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Yeesh, I come home from the hospital to see the Jays hired the least exciting name on their list and to add insult to injury the Jays PR people picked the goofiest pic of Montoyo you could find:

Spoiler

Good grief....Hopefully some of that Rays voodoo will rub off on the Jays at least.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 10-26-2018, 11:46 PM   #43
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
If not Girardi, what about Damon Berryhill or Jody Davis or Hector Villanueva?
Give me Glenalan Hill. Bring the bombs back to Wrigley

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Old 10-27-2018, 01:00 AM   #44
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Give me Glenalan Hill. Bring the bombs back to Wrigley

Bring back Glenallen Hill as assistant trainer responsible for forearm conditioning.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #45
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
I disagree. While Joe Maddon will go down in history as a Cub great and a good manager, these Cubs teams would've been really good had they been managed by Charlie Brown. The damning thing for Maddon is the last 3 years of results have gone like this:

(2016) World Series win with clearly the best team in baseball--the opening of a long "window"
(2017) An embarrassing NLCS loss to the Dodgers, in what felt like a sweep
(2018) Not even winning the division and getting eliminated without getting to the Divisional Round

In other words, the results have gotten worse despite basically having the same [young and improving] players plus some pricey free agent acquisitions. Maddon certainly has earned the right to finish his original contract, unless the Cubs have a horrific start to 2019 somehow. But, I think it'll be a bit of an audition in 2019 for him if he even deigns to stay in Chicago. With what Theo Epstein has built in Chicago and with what Ricketts has spent in Chicago, the coaching staff needs to get a lot more out of the roster.

My suggestion was kind of a joke just listing off random former Cubs catchers. I believe that both Jody Davis and Damon Berryhill are managing in the minors.

I do agree, I think while Madden is a good manager, I dont really consider him a all time great manager. IMO they won in 16, due to their talent overcoming some poor in game decisions by Madden.

I just think the Cubs just had some bad luck this yr due to injuries, and guys not performing up to their abilities. In 17, they just ran into a hot team, in the Dodgers. And I think in 17 there was just that World Series hangover, and it hit the Cubs harder than most, due to it being 108 yrs since they had actually won it all. Plus the Dodgers were on a roll last yr.

I know when you have as much young talent, and a team wins it all, that they expect a few yr run, ending with atleast getting to the World Series, even if not winning it all every yr. However, thats hard to do, especially now days, with the added Wild Cards being added. Because its not longer about the 2 best teams in each league getting to the World Series, like yrs ago, when you had 2 divisions in each league, and the top 2 teams in each league played for the pennant, and with the winner in each league getting to the World Series.

Now days its about getting hot at the right time, baseball unlike other sports, is hard to predict from yr to yr. In football you usually know who will play for the SB, and its even worse in the NBA, usually, as you can almost guarantee which 2 teams will meet in the finals.

Its hard to get to the WS let alone win it all, especially now days, because its about who get hot at the right time, and not always the best 2 teams meet in the WS every yr.

Just my opinion, it just seems, like Cub fans are being awful quick, to run the manager that help win after a 108 yrs drought, and putting a end to the Cubs constantly being the biggest joke in all of sports, yr in and yr out.

I will say I was shocked when the Cubs lost, I thought after getting Murphy, and Cole Hammels, that the Cubs would make it to the World Series. It just goes to show, its not about the names on the back of the jersey, in baseball, you just never know.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #46
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Yeah, I don't think there are a ton of people on the FIRE JOE MADDON wagon just yet. But, I think the results in 2019 will be very important. I have some issues with what I perceive to be a very talented team that is a bit complacent, and also with some tactical things, but I am in the 'wait and see' camp. I hope that checks out.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #47
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think there are a ton of people on the FIRE JOE MADDON wagon just yet. But, I think the results in 2019 will be very important. I have some issues with what I perceive to be a very talented team that is a bit complacent, and also with some tactical things, but I am in the 'wait and see' camp. I hope that checks out.
He's not nearly as good of a game manager as I thought he'd be. He's fantastic with the mental side, not so much otherwise.

Watch me play video games
Old 10-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #48
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
He's not nearly as good of a game manager as I thought he'd be. He's fantastic with the mental side, not so much otherwise.

And the problem here is that only 90% of this is half mental.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »