Home

2018 MLB Awards

This is a discussion on 2018 MLB Awards within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #73
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: 2018 MLB Awards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Live 013
LOL..."pitch to the run support". Like any pitcher says "well, they've scored me 8 tonight so I'll give up 7!" Despite what Jack Morris supporters have said over the years (and it was shown to be a false narrative anyway), no pitcher does this.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:53 PM   #74
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:

^^^That's from Fangraphs.

I could see it going either way, with Betts having an edge because of the Red Sox winning 108 games and some voters being tired of Trout continuously winning the MVP (not saying that this latter items should matter, it is what it is.
him having better teammates is probably what's going to make him win in a runaway which is ridiculously annoying for an individual award.

voter fatigue is funny because he's only won 2! will say Mooke is v deserving so it won't be some injustice like some of the other Trout years were.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #75
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
LOL..."pitch to the run support". Like any pitcher says "well, they've scored me 8 tonight so I'll give up 7!" Despite what Jack Morris supporters have said over the years (and it was shown to be a false narrative anyway), no pitcher does this.
I dont know. If you're up 1-0 in the 8th inning, as a pitcher, you dont want to really give a batter anything good to hit. But in if you're up 8-0 in the 8th inning you can afford to pitch to contact and let the guys behind you help you out.

Dont try to strike everybody out. Strike outs are boring, and fascist. Throw some groundballs, its more democratic

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #76
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I dont know. If you're up 1-0 in the 8th inning, as a pitcher, you dont want to really give a batter anything good to hit. But in if you're up 8-0 in the 8th inning you can afford to pitch to contact and let the guys behind you help you out.

Dont try to strike everybody out. Strike outs are boring, and fascist. Throw some groundballs, its more democratic
I'm not saying pitcher don't pitch differently in a 1-0 game vs an 8-0 game. Sure...that's a thing. No pitcher, however, looks to give up 7 runs because he has 8. Every pitcher goes out there trying to give up the FEWEST runs he can...period. Randy Jones' comments are made from a 20/20 hindsight POV...as if a pitcher knows going in how many runs he has to work with or something.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #77
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

"Pitch to the run support" Man that's some tortured logic to defend your lousy vote. This is essentially "I value a pitcher's W/L record na na na na boo boo!".

I've heard of pitching according to the scoreboard when your team is up by a lot but the stresses of being able to continually put up zeroes when your team can't even plate ONE measly run much less multiple runs makes what DeGrom did all the more unbelievable. His season was one for the ages and we'd be talking about it even more if he just got even average run support.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #78
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0

Ummm, surprised to see Yelich's vote was nearly unanimous.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:37 PM   #79
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Ummm, surprised to see Yelich's vote was nearly unanimous.
Not that surprising considering how voting is done as soon as the season is over and the last month or so he was the most feared hitter in baseball since Barry Bonds.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-15-2018, 06:51 PM   #80
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

And Mookie gets the AL MVP.

Voters did a good job this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »