Home

Future MLB Expansion?

This is a discussion on Future MLB Expansion? within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #25
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Future MLB Expansion?

I'd rather see them retract than expand, but what do I know?

Urban Meyer is lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #26
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

I don't see the benefits. Send the Astros back to the NL/bring the Brewers back to the AL so my pitchers can stop having to hit and be done with it.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 04-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #27
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
The Braves have too much of a stronghold in Charlotte to support a MLB team. The Knights are doing well because they kept the ticket prices the same as when they were in Fort Mill, SC, which is about 30 min south of Charlotte. I don't know how much of an attendance improvement there would be if Tampa moved there.
Newish resident of NC. College is the thing down here. Not enough support for a baseball team here. Durham Bulls seems to be enough to satisfy this fan base.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #28
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
Offenses would probably be fine, but there isn't enough quality pitching to support expansion. You could argue that there isn't enough to even cover the expansion that happened 20 years ago.
this leads to another gripe of mine: raise the mound back to 1968 heights - will improve pitching & cut down on the number of TJS

A Work in Progress
Old 04-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #29
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
this leads to another gripe of mine: raise the mound back to 1968 heights - will improve pitching & cut down on the number of TJS
There's some research that says increasing the angle of the mound increases torque and pressure on the shoulder/elbow, so I don't know about the cut down on surgeries part.

But I don't think pitching needs more improvement. The stuff on average is better than it's ever been in the history of the game.

Watch me play video games
Old 04-19-2019, 08:01 AM   #30
Rookie

Future MLB Expansion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpaiddonkey10
Newish resident of NC. College is the thing down here. Not enough support for a baseball team here. Durham Bulls seems to be enough to satisfy this fan base.

Thing is, there are A LOT of “newish” residents in the major metro areas of NC and SC and most of them have plenty of expendable income. I’d say that’s a pretty good start on building a fan base.

You’re right, college sports are big. But transplants have no allegiance to any local college teams or to the Braves. Even long time Braves fans (and college baseball fans) would make the switch if the ownership group actually spent some money.

I went to my first Braves game in 1991 (I was 7) and have been a fan ever since. But I’ve got absolutely no allegiance to the franchise because of the way ownership runs the business. It’s disgusting how they got the tax money for SunTrust Park.

I’m also a member of a family who has graduates from NCSU, UNC, ECU, and Georgia Tech. We love our sports teams but college baseball doesn’t hold a candle to the professional game.

Southerners love sports, period. And we’re proud of our towns and cities. The Panthers, Hornets and Hurricanes have had a ton of success from a business point of view. There would be a fan base for MLB baseball in NC.

The problem with MLB baseball moving to Charlotte or Raleigh is that both have successful AAA teams with awesome stadiums that probably can’t be developed into MLB size stadiums. Not that there aren’t other sites for that, but a lot of money has gone into the development of the existing AAA stadiums and surrounding areas and I doubt the investors want to see them play second fiddle so soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by SidBream; 04-19-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #31
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidBream
The problem with MLB baseball moving to Charlotte or Raleigh is that both have successful AAA teams with awesome stadiums that probably can’t be developed into MLB size stadiums. Not that there aren’t other sites for that, but a lot of money has gone into the development of the existing AAA stadiums and surrounding areas and I doubt the investors want to see them play second fiddle so soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
BB&T in Charlotte was actually designed to be expandable to up to 30K seats, I believe.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2019, 11:14 PM   #32
Rookie

It's hard to see the Rays getting a new stadium in Tampa after watching how bad the previous proposals have flopped. Even the commish took a dig at the Rays after the last proposal failed so quickly.

My guess is 3 cities get a new team at the end of the 2020's through expansion and the Rays moving. With Montreal, Nashville, Charlotte and Portland battling it out.

I cant imagine a team in Mexico City. The cities elevation is 2,000 higher than Denver. And it could be difficult to attract players from a player safety and travel standpoint.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »