Home

What's the big deal with HRs

This is a discussion on What's the big deal with HRs within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #25
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What's the big deal with HRs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
It's happening in all sports now, as they all embrace analytics and use them to influence play styles there's very little variety in style of play. Players/teams all trying to do the same thing
As a math minded person I like the use of analytics in sports--especially baseball--as it has helped me understand the game(s) better. But this is definitely a side effect of relying on statistics, the game becomes more of a computer simulation. You can just plugs the numbers into a formula and it will spit out exactly what will happen and it takes the human element out of the game, which just isn't entertaining.

Thanks Peyton. #18
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #26
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYanks2
Oh they always know what's going on. I'll never buy that. How can you be the commissioner of a sport and be oblivious to these things? If you are truly unaware that homeruns have spiked significantly then why do you have that position?

Same **** with Bud Selig, I'll never buy for a second he didn't know about steroids running rampant through baseball. There's no way you can be that uninformed. Did he just read the Canseco book and Tom Verducci ramblings and begin to figure it out? I mean come on lol. Then the mitchell report and the witch hunts to save his own *** and the higher ups. It's not even a conspiracy.
I'm not saying they aren't aware, I'm just stating they're denying it. I don't know why they choose to, but honestly I don't think we had to worry about things before like extended nets and such until this time.

Quote:
Back on topic. The current trend is blatant. More homeruns, pimping them, statcast, fences moved in, forcing launch angle and exit velo down our throats, either Manfred is straight up lying or a clown. Probably both. These are strong opinions but I'm just being honest.
Eh, the numbers themselves aren't terrible. I think exit velocity means quite a bit, in fact. I just wish they didn't call it "exit velo." Do we seriously have to be that young sounding?

I don't like that we rely on Statcast so much that we are blind to the actual things, though. You know that I of all people will call out Statcast when it is assuredly wrong. Then people jump on here and tell me: "Herp derp Statcast noez @ll n kant be rong." I have no problem defending myself, because I don't think players deserve credit where it isn't due, that's for damn sure. It's just helping spread more misinformation and provide credence to a sometimes wonky, inconsistent system and format.

As far as pimping home runs, I'm hearing this is part of the "Let the kids play" campaign, which to me is stupid on many fronts (one is, just like pace of play, once we have to literally talk about it, then it loses its luster of happening at that point), but then I see a kid in Ronald Acuña Jr. walking and admiring a home r...... wall scraper. There he is on first base, thinks he owes everybody second base (which he does), and gets thrown out stealing. The other irony about this "kid" playing thing is that it should be the grownups who are playing, because he was not acting like a grownup there, nor was he when he didn't catch Bellinger's ball over the fence. It's not cute to watch, and is not the kind of emotion that I care to see when it doesn't deliver for my team.

You want to show excitement for hitting a home run? I don't care, please do it... though it seems to have a lessened effect now with the way the ball takes off these days. Should it be choreographed or showing up the other team or pitcher? No. It should be authentically spontaneous, and it should be for actual home runs. I think it's hilarious when a color commentator says during the replay of their trot: "Look at that, he knew it as soon as he hit it." I'd love to say that for Acuña when he ended up only on first base for his hit.

Quote:
We baseball purists don't love the high scoring games. But your casuals sure do. And that's where the interest is.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk
I love that anything can happen in baseball, but I love when rarities also stay... well... rare. It is no longer special when it's a common occurrence.

I don't bat an eye anymore at a home run. If it happens and helps my team, then yay. It will never make me do a double-take anymore, though. I'm left emotionless for the home run now itself, just the runs that score as a result of it. It's just too bad. I don't know if chicks really do dig the long ball anymore if everyone can do it at a decent clip.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 08-18-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:02 PM   #27
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
It's happening in all sports now, as they all embrace analytics and use them to influence play styles there's very little variety in style of play. Players/teams all trying to do the same thing
Yup. And ultimately it's going to prove detrimental.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

It's interesting that even with all of the HRs, no one's going to come particularly close to Maris' 61, let alone Bonds' 73.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #29

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Home runs are like slam dunks in basketball or long TDs in football. It's most exciting way to score.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:07 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

‘‘what's the deal with homeruns?’’ - sounds like a Seinfeld bit... not that there's anything wrong with that

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »