Home

5/17 - 5/31 Game Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on 5/17 - 5/31 Game Discussion Thread within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #9
All Star

OVR: 8
Re: 5/17 - 5/31 Game Discussion Thread

Good to see Pillar walk off under his own power quickly, but that was scary.

These pitchers across baseball have to learn some command of their pitches.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:26 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Scary moment, Kevin Pillar just took a fastball in the face. He walked off under his own power but his nose was bleeding. I take back every bad things I’ve said about Luis Rojas, man Snitker is a *******. Pillar is the best hitter on the Mets right now, so Snitker walks Dom Smith to load the bases and pitch to Pillar. There were two outs too so it’s not like it set up a double play
Old 05-17-2021, 09:34 PM   #11
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
Scary moment, Kevin Pillar just took a fastball in the face. He walked off under his own power but his nose was bleeding. I take back every bad things I’ve said about Luis Rojas, man Snitker is a *******. Pillar is the best hitter on the Mets right now, so Snitker walks Dom Smith to load the bases and pitch to Pillar. There were two outs too so it’s not like it set up a double play
I don't understand this? Pillar and Smith have almost identical BA and OBP, though Pillar has had a little better slugging. They have had similar success over the last week too so you can't really say one was hot and one was not.

You walk Smith because it sets up a force out at every base.
You walk Smith because he's a lefty and Pillar is a righty and the pitcher is a righty

I'm not really a fan of Snitker, but it was the right baseball move.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2021, 09:49 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
I don't understand this? Pillar and Smith have almost identical BA and OBP, though Pillar has had a little better slugging. They have had similar success over the last week too so you can't really say one was hot and one was not.

You walk Smith because it sets up a force out at every base.
You walk Smith because he's a lefty and Pillar is a righty and the pitcher is a righty

I'm not really a fan of Snitker, but it was the right baseball move.
I trust Pillar in a big spot a lot more than Smith. Plus I don’t like the idea of loading the bases when you’ve already walked Lindor earlier in the inning
Old 05-17-2021, 10:26 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

And this is why you are under .500 this deep into the season. Freeman walks on 4 pitches and then Ozuna and Albies record the next two outs on the next two pitches. Just dumb baseball all around on this team. You have a pen that has zero command and a lineup that doesn't have an approach at all this year.

― Plato
Old 05-17-2021, 10:31 PM   #14
All Star

Yeah those last 2 at-bats were atrocious. 6 of Diaz's first 7 pitches were balls, then Ozuna is out there swinging first pitch on a ball that may have grazes the outside part of the plate... Ozzie's pitch was at least in his wheel house, but you still have to be smarter up there.

Prior to Austin Riley's 8th inning home run, the Mets were a soft grounder by the pitcher (just beyond the reach of the 2nd basemen) away from a combined perfect game against this offense.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:48 PM   #15

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Not gonna watch the Pillar video, but does he have one of those helmets that extend a bit further out to protect more of his face?

And if not, would that kind of helmet have helped in this situation, or could that kind of helmet become more of the norm in baseball?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2021, 12:36 AM   #16
All Star

I'm pretty sure that he did have some kind of extension on his helmet, but the ball looked to hit him dead on. Hopefully the extended piece of the helmet got a piece of it at least. It was hard to tell in live action, and I don't think anyone wants to watch that one in slow motion.

He did tweet out tonight that he was doing fine. Thankfully it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »