Home

5/17 - 5/31 Game Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on 5/17 - 5/31 Game Discussion Thread within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2021, 03:02 PM   #193
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: 5/17 - 5/31 Game Discussion Thread

You're describing the natural fan growth that nobody doubts. That's always happened with all sports no matter what.

What fans are being brought it in because of the new rule changes and tweaks to the game. Anecdotal, but I also know of not one soul that has become a fan because of the changes, but I know of multiple that watch less baseball because of them. Goes in line with the complaints that are seen here and other forms of social media.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 05-31-2021, 03:09 PM   #194
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Friends and family of baseball fans won't be coming in if the baseball fans that exist don't feel the same love and importance and prestige for what they're watching and therefore....stop watching. My nieces and nephews will not be taken to games, will not see it on TV and grow to love it like I did, etc with this **** in place. But again, how many baseball fans can say they actually just loved the sport as first generation children of immigrants from countries that have less-than-zero exposure to or love for baseball? There's 3 in my family at least. One stopped watching a while ago. One doesn't watch regularly anymore. And I'm....getting there.

They must have many of us to spare. Ultimately I'm just a statistic. I have no delusions about my relevance. But I've brought in more fans to the sport over the years than these rules and approaches have and that's for sure. Spoke baseball with a buddy's brother, talked up players and awesome plays and this and that and I've gone with him to watch in person since. I always talk about baseball with coworkers/friends who are decidedly not baseball fans and we went to a baseball company outing before Corona. Just Saturday I sat with a friend and told him about Shohei Ohtani and how rare he is, and name dropped Babe Ruth because everyone even non-baseball people know that name. My dad who barely knows English let alone ****in' watches baseball loves watching the playoffs and I sit with him and explain what's happening if he has questions.

You have to have evangelists on the ground, especially if the league and writers and fans and whoever else just spend every waking moment ****ting on the sport and what's wrong with it and what needs changing and this and that. And I'm not gonna promote **** if I'm getting angry with it myself.

If the vast majority can live with the changes to the sport that are literally Anti-Baseball, that's on them to keep watching whatever sport they are cool with watching. Maybe they don't even realize why. Can't help that I guess.

Many people stopped during the strike. Many people stopped after the steroids. Many will stop with these repeatedly self-induced nonsensical structural implosions.

I guess the cycle keeps going and there's always something.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:44 PM   #195
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Yankees playing like trash again.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2021, 04:24 PM   #196
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I know I'm talking about natural growth, that was my point.

The game has gone through numerous changes (interleague, splitting into 3 divisions, wildcard, etc...) and the fan base is still there. The game went through a strike that cost fans a World Series, but yet the fan base is still there.

If a fan wants to stop watching because of a change to the rules, the game, or an incident, then so be it, but the game and the fan base will survive without them. Time has proven this to be true.

Quote:
If the vast majority can live with the changes to the sport that are literally Anti-Baseball, that's on them to keep watching whatever sport they are cool with watching. Maybe they don't even realize why. Can't help that I guess.
Get out of here with this ****.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 05-31-2021 at 04:25 PM. Reason: messed up quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:49 PM   #197
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Cardinals call up Seth Elledge and sign Tyler spike to minor league deal

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-31-2021, 05:07 PM   #198
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Pillar is getting activated off the IL less than two weeks after getting drilled in the face. Alonso and Seth Lugo are scheduled to be activated too. Nice to get some guys back before a four game series at SD this weekend and then three more vs SD next weekend
Old 05-31-2021, 09:58 PM   #199
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

deGrom opens the game with ten straight fastballs 100mph or better. I can’t believe how much velocity he’s added since he came up in 2014
Old 06-02-2021, 08:02 PM   #200
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Rules and the concept of the game will continue to change, but that will never chase away the extremely vast majority of the fans.
Nothing is going to make me stop loving baseball. There is a tipping point that could make me stop watching the MLB, however.

I'm nowhere near there, but to say it's impossible depends on how much they steer from the essence of the sport that I grew up loving.

The inclusion of the DH in the NL was extremely upsetting, though. I understand its return is imminent, and it leaves me more than a little depressed inside. Not a joke.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »