Home

2023 NBA Trade Deadline

This is a discussion on 2023 NBA Trade Deadline within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2023, 05:05 PM   #41

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: 2023 NBA Trade Deadline

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1...MQ6QBMNQhWcKmw
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2023, 05:13 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Raptors being stingy makes no sense to me. They are not a good team, they missed the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years, were a first round exit last year. Not because of injuries, not because of lack of chemistry with roster overhaul, not because of coaching. It's because the core just isn't very good.

I understand OG. I'd want multiple picks for him too. He's a legitimate 2-way wing, with great size, could easily be a DPOTY type of guy who can also get you 20ish a nigh on the other end. He could be plenty of teams "missing piece". But outside of that, treating Siakam like a tier 1 superstar, not taking first round picks for FVV.. That's wild to me.

FVV was undrafted. He's already outplayed whatever expectation they had from him and likely never becomes anything more than his is now or even get back to the player he was when he was mostly "open" because he was on the floor with Lowry, Kawhi, Siakam, etc.. He's a decent enough shooter from 3 and the FT line to not make him completely inefficient but he's still well in the bottom half of players. He's too small, and not athletic enough to finish, he's under 40% from the field overall over the past 3 seasons. Never going to be a great defender, never going to be the guy to completely run the show for you with the ball always in his hands racking up 8-10 assists a game.

He's a very smart player, understands his role, a great sorta "leader" on a team that has loads of other talent. That's his ceiling. He has no large value on bad teams, fridge teams. He's just another starting caliber guard. Toronto holding firm when they are getting thrown first round picks is silly. They are banking on Barnes becoming the next Giannis before these other guys leave or look old and it doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure if it's the Raptors front office thinking that way or just the fans/team media around the interwebz but not moving some of those guys like that for more assets, cap space, etc when you have Barnes and Siakam seems weird to me.

Last edited by ojandpizza; 02-06-2023 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:23 PM   #43
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Raptors being stingy makes no sense to me. They are not a good team, they missed the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years, were a first round exit last year. Not because of injuries, not because of lack of chemistry with roster overhaul, not because of coaching. It's because the core just isn't very good.

I understand OG. I'd want multiple picks for him too. He's a legitimate 2-way wing, with great size, could easily be a DPOTY type of guy who can also get you 20ish a nigh on the other end. He could be plenty of teams "missing piece". But outside of that, treating Siakam like a tier 1 superstar, not taking first round picks for FVV.. That's wild to me.

FVV was undrafted. He's already outplayed whatever expectation they had from him and likely never becomes anything more than his is now or even get back to the player he was when he was mostly "open" because he was on the floor with Lowry, Kawhi, Siakam, etc.. He's a decent enough shooter from 3 and the FT line to not make him completely inefficient but he's still well in the bottom half of players. He's too small, and not athletic enough to finish, he's under 40% from the field overall over the past 3 seasons. Never going to be a great defender, never going to be the guy to completely run the show for you with the ball always in his hands racking up 8-10 assists a game.

He's a very smart player, understands his role, a great sorta "leader" on a team that has loads of other talent. That's his ceiling. He has no large value on bad teams, fridge teams. He's just another starting caliber guard. Toronto holding firm when they are getting thrown first round picks is silly. They are banking on Barnes becoming the next Giannis before these other guys leave or look old and it doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure if it's the Raptors front office thinking that way or just the fans/team media around the interwebz but not moving some of those guys like that for more assets, cap space, etc when you have Barnes and Siakam seems weird to me.
Say it with me. The Timberwolves' dumb asses broke trades for the next few years. Every team that's selling something is gonna be out here looking for severe overpays because of what they did in Minnesota.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:05 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Say it with me. The Timberwolves' dumb asses broke trades for the next few years. Every team that's selling something is gonna be out here looking for severe overpays because of what they did in Minnesota.

You might be right, but Toronto was that way before that trade. They’ve been this way for 2-3 years. That’s why they still have all these guys on their roster.

I guess my thought process is they most likely don’t feel like they are in a rush to move these guys. They could finish bottom 5ish with all of them and have just as good of a shot at landing a great pick as they would trading them. Meaning they can wait till the off-season to explore trades. But why would most of these teams give up more for a guy like FVV in the off-season than they would right now? I just don’t see that happening. Much bigger fish to chase than FVV by that point.

And for some of these guys (like FVV and Gary Trent) who says they even accept their player options after this season rather than chase more $$$. Which is just another reason every team wanting those guys are going to give up more for them now because they also want those bird rights.

But it’s whatever to me. If Dinwiddie and multiple picks isn’t enough for FVV then Masai can just keep trying to win trades so massively that he loses them all for nothing and nobody wants to do business with him .. Should work well.

It just feels like the reality of what they actually have and how likely they are to massively win trades while they aren’t very good seems very unrealistic. Maybe landing Kawhi that one time was enough to give that sense of false hope, but every Raptors-side take of all these rumors makes it sound like FVV is Ja and Siakam is Luka. Boston guys weren’t even that protective of Jaylen Brown. Like I said, just unrealistic.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:58 PM   #45
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Some dumb “rumors” of KD for Brown being alive again and then Jaylen Brown misses tonight with “illness”.. c’mon man they just love to fuel the fire I swear lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2023, 09:25 PM   #46

Majingir's Arena

Nets aren't gonna deal "several firsts" to get rid of Simmons (and get Siakam) are they?

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/st...y7DTNjs6zp0YoQ

At least rumors will be over in a few days. Because all the latest rumors sound like Raptors starting 5 by next week will be Claxton,someone else,Barnes,Suggs,Simmons.

Last edited by Majingir; 02-06-2023 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:16 PM   #47

Majingir's Arena

Minutes after Siakams interview at practice, Masai pulled him into his office.

This could mean anything from Siakam is being traded, someone close to him is being traded, Masai is ordering lunch and wants to know what Pascal wants, or maybe they're joking around with the media/teams by making it seem like something is up (I remember stories of this very thing happening before where a GM pulled certain guys from practice the day of the deadline and the media freaked out, they were just pranking the media).
Old 02-07-2023, 03:39 PM   #48
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

This place really gets up for trade talk than the actual games, that’s wild/funny/not surprising. Was wondering why that thread was so quiet lol.

And Cam I said the same thing regarding Kyrie/Tsai last summer but I was being a “homer/Stan” back then but as long as you see it too lol.

Agree with OJ with the Raptors treating certain players like they’re elite players with what they’re asking for(OG specifically)and also agree with King in that Minnesota pretty much messed up the market for teams.

But yeah, Spence and DFS aren’t playing tonight(“Coach’s Decision” although I don’t really buy that). If we can get another wing/athlete plus a backup big and hang onto what we got from Dallas, they could make some noise Defensively.

Personally, KD and Clax are the only one I wouldn’t move although I could be persuaded for Clax depending on what would be offered. With KD, you ride this out the rest of this season and figure out the rest in the offseason.

Either way, if Marks sits and does nothing, then he can go after the season too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »