Home

The LeBron James Thread

This is a discussion on The LeBron James Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Team?
Cleveland 82 20.81%
Chicago 86 21.83%
New York 71 18.02%
New Jersey 32 8.12%
Los Angeles Clippers 11 2.79%
Oklahoma City 7 1.78%
Miami 82 20.81%
Other 23 5.84%
Voters: 394. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #1713
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: The Official "Where is LeBron going?" Thread

Your right in that he could've put that same billboard anywhere else in the City. But WHY choose that spot? Prokhorov may well be doing that to start a rivalry(although you need at least ONE of the teams to be somewhat competitive but that's another story)but he also doing that to let people know that these aren't the same old Nets anymore.

I think it is realistic also, considering that same team barely won more than a dozen games but all of a sudden NOW they got your attention when they haven't even done nothing?

Last edited by ProfessaPackMan; 06-30-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #1714
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Not blowing this out of proportion or anything. Your right in that he could've put that same billboard anywhere else in the City. But WHY choose that spot? Prokhorov may well be doing that to start a rivalry(although you need at least ONE of the teams to be somewhat competitive but that's another story)but he also doing that to let people know that these aren't the same old Nets anymore.

I think it is realistic also, considering that same team barely won more than a dozen games but all of a sudden NOW they got your attention when they haven't even done nothing?
Well let's not be naive. The Knicks and Nets are in exactly the same situation, except the Nets have more talent and the Knicks have more money. They both are in a position to make a big turnaround, so it'd be a total lack of foresight to just pretend the Nets are totally irrelevant. Especially since they are literally moving in on the Knicks' turf in two years.

I think the rivalry will be mostly trash talking though. There are ample bball fans in NYC for everyone. Hell, we could probably support 3 teams in this city, not exaggerating. Maybe in the future there'll be some serious contesting for free agents as well, but the fans won't be split, I don't think.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #1715
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
Well let's not be naive. The Knicks and Nets are in exactly the same situation, except the Nets have more talent and the Knicks have more money. They both are in a position to make a big turnaround, so it'd be a total lack of foresight to just pretend the Nets are totally irrelevant. Especially since they are literally moving in on the Knicks' turf in two years.

I think the rivalry will be mostly trash talking though. There are ample bball fans in NYC for everyone. Hell, we could probably support 3 teams in this city, not exaggerating. Maybe in the future there'll be some serious contesting for free agents as well, but the fans won't be split, I don't think.
The thing about New York that stands out to me, and is what will make the Nets coming to Brooklyn fun, is that most people love one team and hate the other. It's either Yankees or Mets, Giants or Jets, Rangers or Islanders, and then there's the Knicks (who ironically have a lot of people love them and hate them too but that's beside the point). The Nets moving in will create that automatic rivalry, and hopefully (fingers crossed) when the Nets move in, both teams will be competitive. This could go from a very bleak to an extremely talented basketball city once again. And good basketball teams in New York will be great for the league IMO.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #1716
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
The thing about New York that stands out to me, and is what will make the Nets coming to Brooklyn fun, is that most people love one team and hate the other. It's either Yankees or Mets, Giants or Jets, Rangers or Islanders, and then there's the Knicks (who ironically have a lot of people love them and hate them too but that's beside the point). The Nets moving in will create that automatic rivalry, and hopefully (fingers crossed) when the Nets move in, both teams will be competitive. This could go from a very bleak to an extremely talented basketball city once again. And good basketball teams in New York will be great for the league IMO.
Good points.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #1717
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
That's what I mean by trash talk though, and it really is just trash talk. Casual fans will go to the championship parade of any NYC team that gives us cause to have one. Every winning sports team in NY has a big fanbase. The Nets will fill their arena better than most of the league even if they're just .500 when they get to BK.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #1718
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brankles
Cleveland basketball was never alive. He's much better suited winning championships with teams that have the ability to build around him than sitting around in Cleveland waiting for whoever their new GM is to revamp the franchise with very difficult trades and salary cap moves.
WTF? Don't choke on the hyperbole, lol. The Cavs have been relevant before LeBron, and will be so afterwards.

Also, contrary to popular belief, the Cavs do have flexibility this year, as they have three sizeable cap holds that represent alot of their cap room as of today. When Wally retires, and Shaq and Z sign somewheres, those holds go away. Also, the Cavs have Jamario Moon, Parker, Leon Powe, Sebastian Telfair and Delonte West all coming off next year. The notion that the Cavs roster is saddled with a ton of bad contracts like NY has been is wrong.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #1719
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

Quote:
That's what I mean by trash talk though, and it really is just trash talk. Casual fans will go to the championship parade of any NYC team that gives us cause to have one. Every winning sports team in NY has a big fanbase. The Nets will fill their arena better than most of the league even if they're just .500 when they get to BK.
Yeah I wasn't arguing the point. I was just kind of supplementing it. And I hate to admit, but I read the article that PackMan posted about Prokhorov selling LeBron, and the scale of his celebrity if that plan works would be absolutely insane.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #1720
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
WTF? Don't choke on the hyperbole, lol. The Cavs have been relevant before LeBron, and will be so afterwards.

Also, contrary to popular belief, the Cavs do have flexibility this year, as they have three sizeable cap holds that represent alot of their cap room as of today. When Wally retires, and Shaq and Z sign somewheres, those holds go away. Also, the Cavs have Jamario Moon, Parker, Leon Powe, Sebastian Telfair and Delonte West all coming off next year. The notion that the Cavs roster is saddled with a ton of bad contracts like NY has been is wrong.
Maybe in Cleveland, but nowhere near relevant nationally as they were the moment they drafted LeBron.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »