Home

The LeBron James Thread

This is a discussion on The LeBron James Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Team?
Cleveland 82 20.81%
Chicago 86 21.83%
New York 71 18.02%
New Jersey 32 8.12%
Los Angeles Clippers 11 2.79%
Oklahoma City 7 1.78%
Miami 82 20.81%
Other 23 5.84%
Voters: 394. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #465
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: The Official "Where is LeBron going?" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWRMETS
Yes, DC has more money and power than NY because in your crazy hypothetical, the federal government could tax 100% of NY's income.
DC controls more money than New York because it does. The Federal Budget is 2-3 times what New York has.

Quote:
Odds Cebby is being sarcastic with his argument.....99.9%.
Depends on the argument.

That DC is more powerful/important than New York is a fact.

That Lebron will care about either is sarcasm.

As I said earlier, if Lebron wants to be the center of attention with big names at his games, New York is a good fit since he'll never pass Kobe in LA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #466
Supreme

Streets's Arena

OVR: 24

I voted Cleveland when the poll first opened. Then I felt there is no way he re-ups and thought NY was option #1 because of all the media hype around it. Then Chicago came into the fold and we have him looking at houses and MJ giving his endorsement for the Windy City.

Now, I'm thinking Cleveland again. If he goes anywhere else his legacy will take a hit and he will be seen as a villain no matter what. It will be better or worse depending on where he goes (NY being the worst because the perception is he's an egomaniac who only cares about playng in front of celebs and making money... though I personally think the money adavantage is way overblown, but that's what's written about as NY's advantage).

Basically, if he wants to have an image as a good guy which will help his brand, he stays. If he wants to win, I think he has to leave. The rub is that winning chips will do more for his legacy/ brand and in order to do that Cleveland either needs to do a serious overhaul, or he needs to go. I think the latter is more likely.

As much as I've changed my mind on LeBron I'm sure he's changed his 1,000 times more. I wonder where his head is at, if he has a "list", if he knows in his heart if he is staying or going, and where he is leaning. Should be an interesting offseason.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #467
N.W.O. - NO WR OPEN

Checmate101's Arena

OVR: 28

This is crazy..

Uconn Huskies
Miami Hurricanes
Old 05-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #468
Supreme

Streets's Arena

http://dontletlebronleave.com/

LOL

Edit: My GF told me about this site. Unless it was created today, 2800 signatures is kind of sad. NY probably has single buildings with more people. I hope they get more signatures, lol.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #469
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Now, I'm thinking Cleveland again. If he goes anywhere else his legacy will take a hit and he will be seen as a villain no matter what. It will be better or worse depending on where he goes (NY being the worst because the perception is he's an egomaniac who only cares about playng in front of celebs and making money... though I personally think the money adavantage is way overblown, but that's what's written about as NY's advantage).
Winnings cures everything. If he leaves and wins titles at his new destination then his legacy/image will be better than ever. Heck, just look at what's being said about Kobe in the "LBJ vs Kobe" thread and in the media. Who would have thought that 3-4 years ago?

Even though from a fan perspective he'll be the most hated player in the league if he goes to the Knicks, as Bill Simmons said, "Resurrecting the Knicks and leading them to their first title since '73 is the biggest accomplishment available in sports." Fans may hate him more than Kobe, but his legacy and the media lovefest will be off the charts.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #470
Supreme

Streets's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Winnings cures everything. If he leaves and wins titles at his new destination then his legacy/image will be better than ever. Heck, just look at what's being said about Kobe in the "LBJ vs Kobe" thread and in the media. Who would have thought that 3-4 years ago?

Even though from a fan perspective he'll be the most hated player in the league if he goes to the Knicks, as Bill Simmons said, "Resurrecting the Knicks and leading them to their first title since '73 is the biggest accomplishment available in sports." Fans may hate him more than Kobe, but his legacy and the media lovefest will be off the charts.
I only disagree with one thing. I think him leading his hometown Cavs to a title is a better story and bigger accomplishment. However, I don't think that will happen, so resurrecting a storied franchise like the Knicks would be the next best thing. However, just having a decent team requires Bosh (which he and the Raptors have both said are willing to work out a S&T and the Knicks don't have assets for one). Even of Bosh does go, I don't see a team of Bron-Bosh-Lee and D-leaguers winning a chip.

Really, LeBron needs to win a chip (without Kobe, Durant or Wade) in order to boost his brand, regardless of where it's at (though I think it'll mean more in CLE or NY). Staying in Cleveland and getting praised as a loyal guy or getting NY celeb fame without ever winning is peanuts compared to winning a chip elsewhere. It all really comes down to what he values (how important is winning really) and where he thinks he has the best chance to obtain his goals. Right now my gut says at the end of the day he stays in Cleveland but logically I'm thinking Chicago offers the most. We'll see.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #471
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I think this really overrates the NBA's presence in sports but even moreso New York's.

First off, leading any NFL team to the Super Bowl title is a bigger accomplishment, as is taking any of the 7 or so historically elite college football teams (Notre Dame, Alabama, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma) or taking a mid major to the national championship.

After those, winning with the Yankees or Red Sox is a much bigger deal than any NBA story, as would be if a small market team won.

The Celtics ended a two decade drought of championships by beating the Lakers and going from "worst to first" and they're a distant after thought to the Super Bowl that year.

Now, biggest accomplishment in New York basketball history? I could see that, but the Knicks don't have fans outside of New York like the Lakers, Celtics, and Bulls do nor does Lebron have the army of stans that Kobe or AI do.

Winning a championship with the Knicks would be the biggest story in basketball that year, but in the sports world it would be lucky to be top 5.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #472
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Even Craig Ehlo would consider Chicago first if he was LBJ.

Quote:
"If I were LeBron, and I were considering free agency ... explore your options," Ehlo said Wednesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "I would consider Chicago one of the first places I would play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »