Home

1992 Chicago Bulls vs 1996 Chicago Bulls

This is a discussion on 1992 Chicago Bulls vs 1996 Chicago Bulls within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
View Poll Results: Who Would Win A Game?
1992 Chicago Bulls (67-15) 7 12.96%
1996 Chicago Bulls (72-10) 47 87.04%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
All Star

st0rmb11's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: 1992 Chicago Bulls vs 1996 Chicago Bulls

I agree with all of you (except for the one about King throwing the ball to "the wrong Pippen").

1996 team was clearly the greatest NBA team of all time, but record-wise, the 1992 team was right up there in the top 5 teams of all time.

And again, I see that now 3 people have voted that the 1992 team would win. I would love to read an explanation of why one of you chose that option.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

1996. MJ was like a fine wine he got better with age. his skill remained the same from what i believe but his basketball mind was sharper. you can have all the talent in the world if you don't have the right mind to use that talent then it goes to waste

Old 05-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopydude
1996. MJ was like a fine wine he got better with age. his skill remained the same from what i believe but his basketball mind was sharper. you can have all the talent in the world if you don't have the right mind to use that talent then it goes to waste
To use an ironic example, in 1992 MJ played more like Lebron. In 1996 he played more like Kobe.

Either way, the team was just better. Pippen was much better. Grant was solid but he and Rodman aren't a wash. Rodman probably should be in the HOF. He literally shutdown everyone from PG to C, got WAY too many rebounds for his size, and could've been a better scorer if he wanted to but focused on doing the things that nobody else wants to do. Kukoc was already mentioned and Harper's experience, leadership and defense trumps anybody at his position on the '92 team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 16

I'd have to go with 1996. You had:

1. Greatest go-to move, the fadeaway, unstoppable and scored 90% of the time.

2. Greatest rebounder, Dennis Rodman

3. Greatest pure shooter, Steve Kerr, he barely missed, as a kid I was in awe.

4. Greatest 6th man, Kukoc. A 3 point marksman(remember the LA game?) He was also 7 feet tall and was super agile, could pass, rebound and drive.

5. Greatest small forward/defensive player, Scottie Pippen. This man could do everything well, a modern Lebron James.

6. Greatest Coach who introduced Zen philosophy to Basketball that year.

That about does it for "Greatest"

So ya, 1996 Chicago Bulls, greatest sports team in history. No one will ever match it, and I'm still in a daze after all those years of dominance. You cant truly comprehend it unless you go into Chicago after a Bull championship and hear the City explode in sound with everyone honking their horns and people with signs on the sides of the streets.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
All Star

st0rmb11's Arena

I get where you're coming from with the comparison there between the 1992 Jordan to LeBron and 1996 to Kobe, but 1992 Jordan led the Bulls to a title (and had also led them to one previously, and would lead them to another). I would say Jordan from 1991 to 1993 was like Kobe, Jordan from 1996 to 1998 was like..nothing we've seen before and haven't seen since, really.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
All Star

st0rmb11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljordanjr
I'd have to go with 1996. You had:

1. Greatest go-to move, the fadeaway, unstoppable and scored 90% of the time.

2. Greatest rebounder, Dennis Rodman

3. Greatest pure shooter, Steve Kerr, he barely missed, as a kid I was in awe.

4. Greatest 6th man, Kukoc. A 3 point marksman(remember the LA game?) He was also 7 feet tall and was super agile, could pass, rebound and drive.

5. Greatest small forward/defensive player, Scottie Pippen. This man could do everything well, a modern Lebron James.

6. Greatest Coach who introduced Zen philosophy to Basketball that year.

That about does it for "Greatest"

So ya, 1996 Chicago Bulls, greatest sports team in history. No one will ever match it, and I'm still in a daze after all those years of dominance. You cant truly comprehend it unless you go into Chicago after a Bull championship and hear the City explode in sound with everyone honking their horns and people with signs on the sides of the streets.

I love your list, but do you think Jordan in 1992 (being as smart as he was and superior athletically to 1996 Jordan), could make it hard for 1996 Jordan to hit that fade everytime? Or maybe even put 1992 Pippen on Jordan, and have 1992 Jordan guard Pippen.

And you list Steve Kerr's great 3 point shooting ability, but the 1992 team had just as good a 3 point shooter - Craig Hodges. If it ever came down to a shoot out between those 2, I'd have to go with Hodges.

I agree with your point about Kukoc, however. I think he would be the determining factor. (as many have said)

Jordan from 1992 would get 35. Jordan from 1996 would get 28. Pippen from 1992 would get 23. Pippen from 1996 would get 28.
Rodman would only get around 7 points, but he would hold Grant to 8 or 9.
Longley and Harper/Armstrong and Cartwright would be a wash. Longley was a better scorer than Cartwright, but the 1992 Bulls had more depth when it came to bigs. and Armstrong was a better scorer than Harper, but Harper could lock him down.

But, no one on the 1992 Bulls would be able to match the potential 25 points Kukoc would go off for.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0rmb11
I love your list, but do you think Jordan in 1992 (being as smart as he was and superior athletically to 1996 Jordan), could make it hard for 1996 Jordan to hit that fade everytime? Or maybe even put 1992 Pippen on Jordan, and have 1992 Jordan guard Pippen.

And you list Steve Kerr's great 3 point shooting ability, but the 1992 team had just as good a 3 point shooter - Craig Hodges. If it ever came down to a shoot out between those 2, I'd have to go with Hodges.

I agree with your point about Kukoc, however. I think he would be the determining factor. (as many have said)

Jordan from 1992 would get 35. Jordan from 1996 would get 28. Pippen from 1992 would get 23. Pippen from 1996 would get 28.
Rodman would only get around 7 points, but he would hold Grant to 8 or 9.
Longley and Harper/Armstrong and Cartwright would be a wash. Longley was a better scorer than Cartwright, but the 1992 Bulls had more depth when it came to bigs. and Armstrong was a better scorer than Harper, but Harper could lock him down.

But, no one on the 1992 Bulls would be able to match the potential 25 points Kukoc would go off for.
96' Jordan became less athletic and hence had to create the fade away. I'm not quite sure the reason you'd have a younger version of themselves defend each other, because there's no opponent that could

I'd have to go with Kerr beating Hodges. Simply by fact, Kerr is the all-time leader in 3PT %. And he has one of the purest forms I've ever seen.

The reason why 1996 bigs win is the jump shooting. Wennington/Longely/Simpkins/Kukoc/Bison Dele/Caffey all could shoot when Jordan got double teamed and had to pass out. That's the difference maker. You had a high FG% when you're best guy couldn't shoot.

And Kukoc is the X-Factor, the guy was a scoring machine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #16
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0rmb11
I get where you're coming from with the comparison there between the 1992 Jordan to LeBron and 1996 to Kobe, but 1992 Jordan led the Bulls to a title (and had also led them to one previously, and would lead them to another). I would say Jordan from 1991 to 1993 was like Kobe, Jordan from 1996 to 1998 was like..nothing we've seen before and haven't seen since, really.
Overall, we can't compare Jordan to anybody (at least nobody I've seen in my lifetime). We can only compare guys to him. I was just using a recent hot topic and what's being talked about the differences between the 2 to describe Jordan's general game and mentality.

In 1992, probably the best comparison would really be Wade. He seemed to be able to get to the basket whenever he wanted. He was still a high flier, throwing down highlight reel dunks more than midrange jump shots, but he still dominated the ball at the top of the key when the clock was running down or they were down in the 4th. I compare that to how Lebron plays. If we really want to break it down, Jordan had a better offense and better coach to go along with being a better player and having more of a killer instinct, but that was his style.

In 1996, Jordan couldn't elevate the same as 92 and probably couldn't maintain the effort required to drive hard all game taking serious hits. He worked more within the offense and broke guys down more for jump shots than drives... and of course posted up a lot more for his fade away. That's more the Jordan that Kobe's emulating these days.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »