Home

1992 Chicago Bulls vs 1996 Chicago Bulls

This is a discussion on 1992 Chicago Bulls vs 1996 Chicago Bulls within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
View Poll Results: Who Would Win A Game?
1992 Chicago Bulls (67-15) 7 12.96%
1996 Chicago Bulls (72-10) 47 87.04%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #49
All Star

st0rmb11's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: 1992 Chicago Bulls vs 1996 Chicago Bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw
I remember that! They were getting their asses handed to em, then made a serious 3rd quarter comeback iirc.

Recall that too... Am I right in thinking that the expansion Raptors, of all teams, were actually responsible for 2 of their 10 losses that year?

I think the only team to beat that team twice that season was Indiana. I remember seeing that somewhere as a trivia question. The Pacers were the only team to beat the Bulls twice that year.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0rmb11
I think the only team to beat that team twice that season was Indiana. I remember seeing that somewhere as a trivia question. The Pacers were the only team to beat the Bulls twice that year.
Ah ok, thanks. I do recall the Raptors back then played them tough.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #51
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0rmb11
I found an old VHS of the Chicago Bulls' 6 Championships, and it got me thinking..which Bulls team was better? (as in, which team would win a game)

1992 Bulls (67-15)(led by Jordan, Pippen, Grant, Armstrong, Paxson, Cartwright, Perdue and King)

or 1996 Bulls (72-10)(led by Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Longley, Kukoc, Harper, Kerr, and Brown)

My vote would have to go to the 1996 team (and not for the obvious reason, that they won more games)

For one thing, while the 1992 Bulls had an in his prime Michael Jordan, the 1996 Jordan was a much more rejuvenated one. He was hungrier, he wanted to prove himself, he wanted to prove that he was back, and he was still pretty much in his prime.

Also, Scottie Pippen was in his prime in 1996. He had had to carry the Bulls for 2 seasons without MJ, and had matured as a leader and as a player, and in 1996 he was at his best. (before injuries slowed him in 1997 and 1998)

To me, Rodman and Grant could be considered a wash. While Rodman was by far the superior rebounder (averaging 14.9 to Grant's 10.0), Grant had Rodman by nearly 10 points per game (at 14.2 to Rodman's 5.5). Grant also out-blocked Rodman by 1 block per game, and averaged 0.2 more assists than Rodman. So, I think that these numbers, and Rodman clearly winning the "intangibles" argument because of his incredible hustle and hard nosed defense, these 2 cancel each other out.

I also see Longley vs Cartwright as a wash. The biggest thing to me, would be that Longley was younger and had fresher legs, but the 1992 Bulls could have easily combated this with Stacey King, Will Perdue, and Scott Williams off the bench (as well as Cliff Levingston).

What do you guys think? (Sorry if this has ever been asked before, I don't follow this board very "religiously", if you will"
Hey there - does anyone still have old VHS tapes of Jordan-era games? I am a big collector, would love to work out a deal with you, if yes. I am contactable best on e-mail: [email protected]

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #52
Rookie

96 Bulls. In my opinion the benches/role players nearly cancel themselves out. Steve Kerr and Buechler against Paxson and Armstrong, wash. Longley versus Cartwright, wash. Stacy King/Cliff Livingston versus Jason Caffey/Wennington, wash. No real advantages asides from Kukoc, but that is a big difference maker.

Rodman over Grant. Better rebounder obviously, and scoring-wise Grant averaged like 12-14 ppg largely off putbacks and passes from Jordan-Pippen, effectively a garbage scorer with a decent jumpshot. Rodman didn't score, but he put all his efforts into hustle, rebounding, and defense.

As for the dynamic duos, 96 Jordan has the experience edge, 92 Jordan the physical one. They'd be successful against each other, but for different reasons. 96 MJ with the post game and fadeaway, 92 with the athletic advantage and a good jumpshot. 96 Pippen, however, was much better than 92 Pippen. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the difference between the 2 Pippens is larger than the difference between the 2 Jordans, which would be a big advantage for 96 Bulls. 92 Pippen was a heck of a player, but still prone somewhat to physical play. 96 Pippen was 30 years old, had the experience of leading the Bulls in Jordan's absence, and was a much tougher and confident overall player by then.

I say 96 Bulls in 7 close games.

Last edited by dragonyeuw; 01-06-2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:01 AM   #53
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rairjordan
Hey there - does anyone still have old VHS tapes of Jordan-era games? I am a big collector, would love to work out a deal with you, if yes. I am contactable best on e-mail: [email protected]

Thanks!
Youtube has a number of Jordan-era games, a bit of looking around there will bring up a few people who have uploaded some games, albeit split up into several clips.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 22

96 Bulls, Jordan had a higher bball IQ then, and Pippen was strongly developing into the leagues top defender also adding a rebounder with Rodman and Steve Kerr, one of the top 3pt shooters
2001 Lakers

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »