Home

Celtics might release West after fight with Wafer

This is a discussion on Celtics might release West after fight with Wafer within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
All Star

OVR: 35
Celtics might release West after fight with Wafer

Delonte just can't get his demons under control. At least he's got Gloria James to comfort him...

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/th...st-after-fight

According to Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld, Celtics teammates Delonte West and Von Wafer got into a fist fight in the locker room following an intense three-on-three drill in practice.

"During a three-on-three game with Avery Bradley, Luke Harangody, Semih Erden and assistant coach Tyronn Lue, West began fouling Wafer each time the reserve guard touched the ball. West was increasingly physical to the point that Wafer exited to the locker room midway through the game. As he walked away, West barked obscenities and taunted Wafer," wrote Kennedy. "After Wafer had showered and sat down at his locker, West approached from behind and threw a punch. Wafer didn't see the punch coming but quickly got off of the ground and connected on two punches of his own. He then wrestled West to the ground before being separated by the team's veterans."

Following the incident, Wafer offered some clarification of his own through his Twitter account.

"Today was a test!...I am a professional and will continue to conduct myself as one...God has a plan for me," Wafer wrote (in a tweet that was subsequently deleted).

"[i] love my team. #wefamily" he later added.

It was the second known confrontation in less than a week between Wafer and West, as the two had to be separated on Sunday, one night before the team's season opener, after jawwing during a two-on-two drill. Kennedy reports that the Celtics -- including coach Doc Rivers and veterans Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce -- have grown tired of West's confrontational nature with teammates. The team, according to the report, is considering releasing West, who is signed on a non-guaranteed contract.

West is currently serving a 10-game, season-opening suspension due after pleading guilty to charges of carrying a concealed weapon. (More on that here.)

Prior to the season opener against the Heat, Celtics GM Danny Ainge said that the team was well-aware of the guard's off-court issues but that it concluded that everyone was comfortable with the risks associated with his behavioral issues.

"What’s happened to Delonte over the past couple years is not shocking to any of us. We know that he has challenges off the court but we love what he brings to the court," Ainge said on The Big Show. "Delonte was a favorite of a lot of people in Boston. He was a fun guy to watch, a lot of people embraced Delonte when he was here as a player. I think a lot of people, including our players, respect Delonte. Not only the guys that played with Delonte like [Pierce] and Rajon [Rondo] and [Kendrick Perkins] but [the guys who] have been playing against him the last few years as an opponent, they have a great respect for him on the court. So, yeah, I think everybody is aware that Delonte has had challenges off the court. We are trying to give him the support that he needs. The players that were with him before, our coach that was with him before and myself and ownership I think we were aware of that risk and I think we were comfortable with that risk."

Whether that remains the case after Friday's reported incident remains to be seen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Celtics might release West after fight with Wafer

Delonte being Delonte

"Yeah, let's bring him to Los Angeles, the Lakers could really use a guy like that"

As I said in the summer I wouldn't take the guy on my team if he paid me.

Keep him Boston, keep him.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

Its obvious he needs help to control his disability, the NBA needs to wake up and help this guy.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe
Old 10-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

People are still with this Gloria James thing...SMH..

West is bi-polar...
Old 10-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Today was a test!...I am a professional and will continue to conduct myself as one...God has a plan for me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
MVP

BaselineBakes's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by capp34
Its obvious he needs help to control his disability, the NBA needs to wake up and help this guy.
this. He needs some help I just hope he isn't released and the NBA just ignores him until something truly bad happens.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

How the hell is it the NBA's responsibility?

Hopefully he has people around him who have some sort of plan to help him. It's not the league's responsibility to make sure dude stays medicated.

Dude doesn't belong in the league if he's mentally unstable. Doesn't matter how much talent you have if you're f'd up to the point where you need to be medicated and in the looney bin.

I feel like going back to the Laker boards where people were trying to tell me West would be a welcomed addition.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
How the hell is it the NBA's responsibility?

Hopefully he has people around him who have some sort of plan to help him. It's not the league's responsibility to make sure dude stays medicated.

Dude doesn't belong in the league if he's mentally unstable. Doesn't matter how much talent you have if you're f'd up to the point where you need to be medicated and in the looney bin.
Seriously

It's not like the NFL/concussion issue.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »