Home

Greatest Dunker (In Game & Competition)

This is a discussion on Greatest Dunker (In Game & Competition) within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Greatest All-Around Dunker (In Game & In Competition)
Dominique Wilkins 2 3.92%
Michael Jordan 13 25.49%
Julius Erving 2 3.92%
Vince Carter 27 52.94%
Shawn Kemp 4 7.84%
Jason Richardson 2 3.92%
LeBron James 0 0%
Dwight Howard 0 0%
Kobe Bryant 1 1.96%
Clyde Drexler 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Greatest Dunker (In Game & Competition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATMON
My preference for a shattered backboard over a contest 360 doesnt take away from Vince's status. Reading is fundamental.
So what's the point you were trying to make? You asked somebody how old they were I'm guessing Pack based on them not ranking up the older guys higher than Vince? I'm not sure it's hard to see what people's intentions are on the net. Anyway I posted how much better the newer dunkers are than the old ones and you talked about preferring shattered backboards. The topic of the thread is greatest dunker, not who you like and what kind of dunks you like. The shattered backboards don't compare to the dunks guys are doing now anyway for the simple fact that they didn't have breaway rims back then.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
So what's the point you were trying to make? You asked somebody how old they were I'm guessing Pack based on them not ranking up the older guys higher than Vince? I'm not sure it's hard to see what people's intentions are on the net. Anyway I posted how much better the newer dunkers are than the old ones and you talked about preferring shattered backboards. The topic of the thread is greatest dunker, not who you like and what kind of dunks you like. The shattered backboards don't compare to the dunks guys are doing now anyway for the simple fact that they didn't have breaway rims back then.
Greatest = All Time or what u have been exposed to?

So actually I should only comment on the list you gave?
Old 01-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #19
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
You get a 6.5 for that. I think need to try 7 more times like Nate Robinson.
.......Ooook

If people want to know why I said Vince and nobody else:

Exhibit A:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

Exhibit B:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcU66xdeGck

Exhibit C:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r39vG...eature=related

And these are just from IN game.

Last edited by ProfessaPackMan; 01-03-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #20
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Greatest = All Time or what u have been exposed to?

So actually I should only comment on the list you gave?
Michael Jordan is my favorite player of all time, I love watching Jordan dunk, I could watch that **** all day with no problems. That being said, when the question of better dunker comes up I'm not going to flip out or start asking someone how old they are because they said Vince Carter is better than Jordan at dunking or rank him higher on the dunkers list because what Vince was able to do as far as dunking was better. Does it have to reflect my list exactly? No but there are generally people who should fall in a specific order in a list like this and some things that are just facts. It's like arguing if Iverson has a better crossover then someone from back in the '60s or '70s based on the idea that dudes crossover was killing guys back then. Yeah you can give the guy mention on the list but acting like someone is out of line for saying Iverson is just wrong.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #21
MVP

TajDeni's Arena

OVR: 10

actually think that young kobe was the best "in game" (during the flow of the action) dunker.

Vince had some special dunks but vince has never attack the basket with the level of ferociousness that young Kobe did. Kobe used to attack the basket and dunk on folks with so much anger... Vince has some special in game dunks and is clearly a better dunker as a whole but like i mentioned he never dunked on ppl like he was trying to put their whole body in the rim along with the ball...

i know it seems so long ago but it seems everyone has 4got about #8 feats

Hidden Within the Depths of Silence and Solitude, Awaits the Realest Dude...
-- TajDeni
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 18

vince carter is the best dunker ever.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Michael Jordan is my favorite player of all time, I love watching Jordan dunk, I could watch that **** all day with no problems. That being said, when the question of better dunker comes up I'm not going to flip out or start asking someone how old they are because they said Vince Carter is better than Jordan at dunking or rank him higher on the dunkers list because what Vince was able to do as far as dunking was better. Does it have to reflect my list exactly? No but there are generally people who should fall in a specific order in a list like this and some things that are just facts. It's like arguing if Iverson has a better crossover then someone from back in the '60s or '70s based on the idea that dudes crossover was killing guys back then. Yeah you can give the guy mention on the list but acting like someone is out of line for saying Iverson is just wrong.
If Vince Carter is hands down the best, well then why make a poll or even suggest any of the dudes before him even measure up?
Old 01-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

At first glance I was trying to figure out how this poll only had 4 votes yet have a thread that was 21 replies long. Now I know.

I voted for Vince Carter. I was born in 1984 and I've nearly exhausted all possible outlets for highlights of dunkers past and present. With that said, there's so many dunkers that I have not even scratched the surface of, in terms of seeing their abilities first hand, so it's tough to give them a completely fair shake.

With that in mind, of all the players I've seen dunk in the NBA (or even heard about dunking in the NBA) Vince Carter is far and away the best dunker in NBA history. He slammed on nearly everyone who stepped in his path. He kept the fans entertained on breakaways. He windmilled and performed 360's in various forms of traffic. He jumped over a 7'1'' player. He introduced a flurry of new dunks to the mainstream. He left a world speechless at a dunk contest. He flushed for power, grace, and creativity. He was the best of all worlds. The depth of his amazing dunking library is startling. He has three volumes of "Top 100 Dunks". (Each volume carries overlap from previous volumes, but it can be assumed that there are 150-175 unique insane dunks).

Quote:
That list is too limited to just popular guys. There are many guys in the history of the league that dunked in games on competition.

Charles Barkley
Kenny Smith
Larry Nance
Kevin Johnson's Dunk on Olajuwon in the Playoffs is my GOAT.

"In the 60s there wasElgin Baylor and Wilt Chamberlain; in the 70s the dunk was revolutionized by Julius Erving, David Thompson and Connie Hawkins; in the 80s Michael Jordan and Dominique Wilkins lead the show along with Darrel Griffith, Clyde Drexler and Spud Webb; in the 90s Mike was still wowing fans, but so was Dee Brown, Shawn Kemp and Kevin Johnson; and in the new millennium the likes of Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwight Howard and Nate Robison have delighted, providing numerous highlight moments."
I agree the poll may include too many popular guys. I have to take another look, but I thought I saw someone mention Dwight Howard being on that list and if this is true, I do not believe he deserves a nomination.

On that same hand, I also can't see how Kenny Smith would possibly deserve such a nomination either. Also, as much as I loved Kevin Johnson's dunks on Olajuwon, Hot Rod Williams, and Mark Eaton, I'm not really sure how he could legitimately deserve an all-time mention. I feel similarly about Larry Nance. He had a fun dunk contest peformance and had nice swooping game dunks, but I'm not sure he could ever be a "best ever" candidate. You might have just brought them up to prove the other guys already on the poll didn't belong. If so, then point taken.

Also, out of true honesty, could you link me to some Connie Hawkins or David Thompson footage. I've seen approximately 10 dunks from each of those guys and I'm impressed for their era, but overall - amongst all eras - I am not really blown away. I read stories about these players, but even the stories don't sound as impressive as what modern VC has pulled off over and over.

Lastly, I am wondering where that quote came from, the one about the dunk across the eras (purely curious).

Last edited by VDusen04; 01-03-2011 at 02:05 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »