Home

Greatest Dunker (In Game & Competition)

This is a discussion on Greatest Dunker (In Game & Competition) within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Greatest All-Around Dunker (In Game & In Competition)
Dominique Wilkins 2 3.92%
Michael Jordan 13 25.49%
Julius Erving 2 3.92%
Vince Carter 27 52.94%
Shawn Kemp 4 7.84%
Jason Richardson 2 3.92%
LeBron James 0 0%
Dwight Howard 0 0%
Kobe Bryant 1 1.96%
Clyde Drexler 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Greatest Dunker (In Game & Competition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATMON
Im done here.
I do not understand.

I understand the footage that has been made available to the public of the highflyers of the 70's and before is limited. I understand the NBA footage of Connie Hawkins is slim and features a Hawkins well past his prime. I understand the same could be said about David Thompson and even Julius Erving to a degree. So my honest question, from a youngster to an oldster, is what kind of dunks did we miss amongst all these guys? What did David Thompson do that was not caught on tape that would place him in the running for best dunker of all-time (in-game and competition)? I have the same honest question regarding Connie Hawkins. What did Connie Hawkins do in-game and in a dunk competition that the people who are too young to have seen it first hand do not know about?

Also, without reposting what I wrote before, may I ask once more how Kenny Smith, Larry Nance, and Kevin Johnson tie into this "Greatest Dunker of All-Time" debate? I recognize that each of those three had tremendous dunking moments, but I am stumped as to how they may be relevant in this equation. Again, if they were used to illustrate the limited reach of the original poll nominees, I would concur. But if they were mentioned as a means for possibly being in the discussion as greatest dunker ever (in-game, contest, or both) then I remain flummoxed.

Finally, once more, may I ask where that quote about dunking came from?

Edit: Nevermind. I found the story that quote came from. http://www.suite101.com/content/desp...f-dunks-a99309 I was wondering because I thought it was awfully curious that the new generation included Dwight Howard and Nate Robinson but no mention of Vince Carter. Turns out the article is about Vince Carter being the greatest dunker of all-time. So that clears things up. I actually preferred this excerpt from the aforementioned article:

"More ingenious than Baylor, more elegant than Wilt; more innovative than Dr. J, more artistic and vibrant than Thompson or the Hawk; more explosive and eye-popping than Mike, more dynamic than Nique; more powerful than Clyde more brilliant and graceful than Spud and Dr. Dunkenstein, more splendid than the Reignman, more dominant than Dee, more splendid than Nate, more extravagant than Superman; much more glorious than LeBron and even more dazzling than Kobe; that is what Vince Carter has meant to the art of the dunk.

Each of those men were and some still are incredible masters of the dunk, however Carter embodies all of them and took everything which they may have done to a whole different level."

Last edited by VDusen04; 01-03-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #34
True.

Chef Matt's Arena

OVR: 44

Great thread. Subscribed. I voted MJ, but I don't have any real evidence of it just that I remember he was my favorite to watch for his high flying dunks. In game and competition, although VC would be my choice if it were just strictly competition.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #35
Pro

OVR: 3

I go with MJ. Style, grace, hangtime, power, tongue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #36
MVP

PrettyT11's Arena

OVR: 17

This is easy. It is Vince and then there is everybody else. It really doesn't matter if we are talking about in contest or in the game. If I was choosing a second and third it would be Nique and Jordan.

On another note whoever mentioned Kenny Smith should never be allowed to post here again. Kenny Smith has absolutely no reason what so ever to ever be mentioned in this thread at all.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #37
MVP

Basketball GURU's Arena

OVR: 15

Vince or Kemp!...or that #23 guy who played in Chicago..
Old 01-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #38
MVP

PrettyT11's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
For me Dr.J gets my nod..

This is no diss to Dr. J cause he deserves love as one of the pioneers but J.R. Smith has a more impressive in game highlight reel than this. This reel is just some very basic dunk minus the dunk on Cooper.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #39
MVP

Basketball GURU's Arena

OVR: 15

I seen David Thompson once take a quarter off the top of the backboard and leave two dimes and a nickel..while dunking in game.

Last edited by Basketball GURU; 01-03-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I do not understand.

I understand the footage that has been made available to the public of the highflyers of the 70's and before is limited. I understand the NBA footage of Connie Hawkins is slim and features a Hawkins well past his prime. I understand the same could be said about David Thompson and even Julius Erving to a degree. So my honest question, from a youngster to an oldster, is what kind of dunks did we miss amongst all these guys? What did David Thompson do that was not caught on tape that would place him in the running for best dunker of all-time (in-game and competition)? I have the same honest question regarding Connie Hawkins. What did Connie Hawkins do in-game and in a dunk competition that the people who are too young to have seen it first hand do not know about?

Also, without reposting what I wrote before, may I ask once more how Kenny Smith, Larry Nance, and Kevin Johnson tie into this "Greatest Dunker of All-Time" debate? I recognize that each of those three had tremendous dunking moments, but I am stumped as to how they may be relevant in this equation. Again, if they were used to illustrate the limited reach of the original poll nominees, I would concur. But if they were mentioned as a means for possibly being in the discussion as greatest dunker ever (in-game, contest, or both) then I remain flummoxed.

Finally, once more, may I ask where that quote about dunking came from?
here's that link: http://www.suite101.com/content/desp...f-dunks-a99309

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »