Home

The worst pick up players.

This is a discussion on The worst pick up players. within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #73
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21
Icon7 Re: The worst pick up players.

One of m friends is a "Montgomery passer". He will start a drive and if you ate in the wing he misses you by 5 feet, or he will literally drive and just leave the ball while he keeps on going and thinks it's a pass.

We play at our local park probably twice a month with people who play every weekend. Luckily if you play any kind of team defense and offense you will win.

Last edited by SuperBowlNachos; 02-26-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #74
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: The worst pick up players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threes_Co.
I respect your play style but I've just never been one to set off-ball screens in a streetball game.

I can tell you're one of those guys who loves doing the dirty work.
IMO, every player should be a guy who loves the dirty work, even if you're the "superstar". I know its wishful thinking on my part, but prima donnas should not exist in pick-up ball.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #75
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Pretty funny thread. Thus far we've named just about every type of basketball player possible along with their polar opposites (The guy who doesn't work at all/the guy who works too hard, the guy who sets too many picks on offense/the guy who stands around and does nothing on offense, the tall guy standing on the perimeter/the guy telling you to stand on the perimeter because you're tall).

Now I'll make my opposing contribution:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisksaint
My favorite is the guy who plays for fouls, as in just drives to the hoop constantly no matter what and calls a foul almost everytime when in reality all it does is create controversy and even if he's right all they do is get the ball back.
I have an issue with the guys who foul me everytime I go to the basket. There have been a number of times where the on-ball defender is either playing much too tight or for whatever reason cannot keep me in front of them. As such, I drive to the basket every time he allows it. Every now and again, there will be a helpside player, likely in poor defensive positioning because they allowed me to get all the way to the tin, who will simply decide to "take a foul". Every. Single. Time.

Out of the halfcourt or in transition. I drive. They foul me. So in that case, I never really understood the "he calls fouls, even when he's right" argument. One of us is doing something wrong, and it's not the guy getting into the paint at will. If a defender wants someone to stop calling fouls, the first thing they can do is stop fouling.

And Chrisk, I'm imagining you're referring to guys who call fouls all the time even when there's no contact. I feel you there. I was just using your quote as a jump off point for a separate complaint.

And in regards to the ol' 6'6'' guy on the perimeter thing, it totally depends on the player in my eyes. In my history, it's honestly being split right about down the middle. It seems half the 6'6'' ballplayers I've known have been bruisers and posts while the other half have been ballhandling perimeter types. Sending a 6'6'' wing/shooter into the post just because he's tall will end up doing more harm than good.

Quote:
I respect your play style but I've just never been one to set off-ball screens in a streetball game.

I can tell you're one of those guys who loves doing the dirty work.
Can I ask an honest question? What do you do when you don't have the ball on offense during a streetball game? I ask out of sincerity. I know there's cutting to the basket and posting up. And there's V-cutting and ball screens. But in truth, wouldn't throwing in an off-ball screen here or there vastly improve your team's ability to get open?

I can't say I ever considered not setting an offball screen just because it was a pick-up game. It just feels like a basketball staple. If I have a gunslinging teammate standing near the basket, looking to get open, I don't see how I could not give him a downscreen to work with.

Without offball screens, even in an ideal world, I'm just picturing four guys running about like headless chickens. Realistically, I see four guys standing around waiting for the guy with the ball to shoot or pass to them.

Last edited by VDusen04; 02-27-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #76
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Pretty funny thread. Thus far we've named just about every type of basketball player possible along with their polar opposites (The guy who doesn't work at all/the guy who works too hard, the guy who sets too many picks on offense/the guy who stands around and does nothing on offense, the tall guy standing on the perimeter/the guy telling you to stand on the perimeter because you're tall).

Now I'll make my opposing contribution:

I have an issue with the guys who foul me everytime I go to the basket. There have been a number of times where the on-ball defender is either playing much too tight or for whatever reason cannot keep me in front of them. As such, I drive to the basket every time he allows it. Every now and again, there will be a helpside player, likely in poor defensive positioning because they allowed me to get all the way to the tin, who will simply decide to "take a foul". Every. Single. Time.

Out of the halfcourt or in transition. I drive. They foul me. So in that case, I never really understood the "he calls fouls, even when he's right" argument. One of us is doing something wrong, and it's not the guy getting into the paint at will. If a defender wants someone to stop calling fouls, the first thing they can do is stop fouling.

And Chrisk, I'm imagining you're referring to guys who call fouls all the time even when there's no contact. I feel you there. I was just using your quote as a jump off point for a separate complaint.

And in regards to the ol' 6'6'' guy on the perimeter thing, it totally depends on the player in my eyes. In my history, it's honestly being split right about down the middle. It seems half the 6'6'' ballplayers I've known have been bruisers and posts while the other half have been ballhandling perimeter types. Sending a 6'6'' wing/shooter into the post just because he's tall will end up doing more harm than good.

Can I ask an honest question? What do you do when you don't have the ball on offense during a streetball game? I ask out of sincerity. I know there's cutting to the basket and posting up. And there's V-cutting and ball screens. But in truth, wouldn't throwing in an off-ball screen here or there vastly improve your team's ability to get open?

I can't say I ever considered not setting an offball screen just because it was a pick-up game. It just feels like a basketball staple. If I have a gunslinging teammate standing near the basket, looking to get open, I don't see how I could not give him a downscreen to work with.

Without offball screens, even in an ideal world, I'm just picturing four guys running about like headless chickens. Realistically, I see four guys standing around waiting for the guy with the ball to shoot or pass to them.
To answer the question at the end, in the pickup games here at Syracuse, there really isn't time for many off-ball screens besides when you check up. Most of the time, it's spreading the floor and driving and kicking with the occasional off ball screen or pick and roll.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 02-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #77
Banned

OVR: 12

VDunsen, I play PG so if I don't have the ball, I'm calling for it.

I may also backdoor cut for an easy layup.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #78
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

I thought this was a thread about NBA players

Old 02-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #79
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Yeah the big man on the wings is entirely based on the type of player, 2 of my best friends I run with are around 6'3" and are usually the tallest on the court but they've played SG/SF ever since they started playing rec at like 6 or 7.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #80
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
VDunsen, I play PG so if I don't have the ball, I'm calling for it.

I may also backdoor cut for an easy layup.
My fault, when you made your previous statement I misinterpreted it as you saying no one in your streetball games set offball screens. I look now and it was clear you just said you yourself do not set them.

Even then, I still have to say, I run a lot of point and offball screens are still very, very present in my personal game. For instance, if I make an initial pass, I may cut backdoor like you said. But if I don't get the ball at that point, then what? As a point guard I'm trying to attack when possible, pass to a player in a position to score when possible and third, I'll be trying to open someone else up to score when possible. That may mean, after I cut backdoor and don't get the rock, setting a screen away. I never really interpreted my position as having the ball or else calling for it if I don't. I feel there's a lot more that be accomplished there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
To answer the question at the end, in the pickup games here at Syracuse, there really isn't time for many off-ball screens besides when you check up. Most of the time, it's spreading the floor and driving and kicking with the occasional off ball screen or pick and roll.
Yeah, I definitely know there can be a lot of variation of play amongst pickup scenes across the world. In fact, even within the same state, it seems every city has a different way of running. With that said, I wasn't attempting to paint a picture of some elaborate offense during every possession ending in a double screen on the baseline for a bankshot layup.

Instead, I was just saying off ball screens are a part of our game. There's a lot of running, but if the defense is attempting to do their part, there will have to be a chunk of offensive execution as well. And often that may mean we'll spread the floor and operate. But there's still a lot of times where that doesn't work for us. Or, I may recognize that I have a teammate who is deadly off a screen but struggles off the dribble. As such, it just seems logical to try to help him out.

I guess that's me working up to one of my streetball complaints: guys who stand idly around the 3pt. line while I'm anxiously awaiting a downscreen. I'll extend that complaint to include players who just stand idly, period. There are times when I bring the ball down the floor and I'll just have four teammates standing around the arc, staring at me. Of course, it allows for some key self reflection, as I wonder if maybe this is their way of telling me I'm dominating the ball too much. More times than not though, it's just a case of a teammate standing still on the wing, calling for the ball then doing nothing of note upon receiving a pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisksaint
Yeah the big man on the wings is entirely based on the type of player, 2 of my best friends I run with are around 6'3" and are usually the tallest on the court but they've played SG/SF ever since they started playing rec at like 6 or 7.
Precisely. I'm a 6'3'' guard as well. I don't limit what I can do on the court, but it's clear I'm more comfortable slashing and handling the ball on the perimeter. I actually thought I'd be more of a threat at my height with guard skills instead of trying to be a "big man" at just 6'3'', even if I were taller than a lot of streetballers. The same goes for a number of my 6'6'' friends. As bigs, they would have been average. With guard skills, they can be real threats.

Last edited by VDusen04; 02-27-2011 at 08:32 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »