Home

The worst pick up players.

This is a discussion on The worst pick up players. within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #41
All Star

cubsfan203's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: The worst pick up players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino
The, I'm 6'6" but I live out on the perimeter even though I'm taller than everyone.
That one is just a stereotype. I'm 6'5", but I've played every position at some point (usually small forward though), so of course I'm going to play on the wing because I'm a slasher.

Nothing annoys me more than the guys on the court telling me to "get down low," because all that's going to accomplish is me having to do all the dirty work while they shoot the ball and miss a million times since they are never going to pass it to me.

Coaching Career of Chris Matthews (CH2k8)
The Legend of Ocho Ocho
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #42
Pro

OVR: 12

Nice thread!

My top five worse pick up players in no order:

1. the there ain't no I in team but there sure as hell is a me guy:

The chucker, sometimes he's actually sort of a good baller, oftentimes he's not. Regardless I'd rather be on the other team. Dribbling around way too much then taking a bad contested shot, all while totally killing the flow of the game.

2. The respect my call guy:

This guy calls ticky-tack bs fouls when he created all the contact. Oddly he also usually complains if he hacks the hell out of you and you call a foul.

3. The wetter the better guy:

This guy never likes to wear a shirt, is often times overweight and of course loves to throw that sweaty flab around the court.

4. The physical equals defense guy:

This guy doesn't really play D, he just fouls the hell out of you every time he gets a chance. He reaches in to steal the ball with his shoulder driving into your chest and he almost dislocates your shoulder every time you drive to the hoop. I'm ok with tough D but I'm not trying to get injured out there.

5. The I'm so much better I'm not even going to play guy:

This happened recently, I got picked up on a team that was obviously stacked (I even suggested we make the teams a bit more even). Once the game starts it's a fast break turnover-fest. Not because the guys suck but because they're making blatantly stupid passes, taking stupid fast break 3's. I've played with these guys and they can play but it was just obvious they're not taking it seriously, they're laughing when they turn it over. I would have rather been on the other team.

When I go play pick-up ball I'm going to get some exercise, play the game I love and compete. I think the key is to know your skill level and play within your range. Be a student of the game and work on improving your knowledge and skill. Keep it competitive but friendly, there's no need to be a douche when you win or when you lose.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #43
Pro

OVR: 12

As far as where I fall into it:

I"m 27 now,I played varsity ball for 3 years at a private school in a really small league in California. I'm 6' 2" about 185 Lbs and I spent my high school ball playing the 3 and the 4. The strongest parts of my game are my defense and on offense my slashing and post-up game. I'm a streaky outside shooter and can get really hot or really cold so I try to play inside if I'm one of the taller people on my team.

As I've grown a bit older I find myself becoming more of a student of the game, working on different parts of my game, understanding how my teammates and opponents like to play. Passing has become one of my favorite aspects of my game so I'm always looking to find a guy for an easy bucket.

I know I can't compete with the ultra-athletic but I'd say I'm better than the avg park ball player. I love to win but I prefer to play a good competitive game with people who know how to play and lose then play with a bunch of people who don't have a clue and win.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #44
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

OVR: 7

I once was playing with this guy. 1st of all he was on the court in jeans and a Dirk jersey. About 1/4 the way through the game we hear a phone ring. Yep, this guy answers his phone WHILE PLAYING DEFENSE. When I called him out on answering his phone while playing basketball (ridiculous of me I know) he says to me "expletive, we ain't cashing no salary checks in hurrrr." Total disbelief. By far the most appalling thing I've ever seen.

twitter - @dsallupinyaarea
psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Old 02-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #45
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: The worse pick up players.

The guy shooting NBA range three's all game-shameless chuckers'
The short guy who feels he MUST play PG despite having bad handles and poor passing
The guy who spends more time calling fouls than playing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #46
All Star

mikenoob's Arena

OVR: 21

Sadly, just about every one of my teammates fit these categories. What's even worse? The coach is the father of the kid who bitches and moans to the refs and teammates every time something doesn't go his way. He's a chucker from three, and his reason for doing so, "I'm wide open, stfu, it's a good look". Also, his friend is on the team and is another coach favorite. It's an exact replica of him. 2 man basketball team with no defense whatsoever and non stop complaining. I've gotten to the point where I'm not even showing up to the games anymore. Our record is 1-8.... Coach is looking at the rest of us trying to point out "our" flaws by saying we need to cut more and actually do something because so and so is doing all the work. If you watch any of our games, they bring up the ball either drive in and miss every layup or jack up a three. Also, considering my team is full of guards and there is only 1 big guy we get killed on the boards. This is my first year where I'm "playing" the post. It's not working out to good for me. I'm told to bang down low and try to grab some boards. Did I mention I have no meat on me either? I'm in high school at 5'10 130 lbs, trying to compete against kids at 6'+ and probably at least 170 lbs. My game is definitely at the guard position and have played there all my life up until this year. Yet, the coach still would rather go with his kids at the guards that have no passing ability at all. My old coach that I have played with for the past 5 years even told my coach I shouldn't be playing down low either.

Last edited by mikenoob; 02-20-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 2

Ones I haven't seen mentioned here yet that I hate are

The headless chicken - The guy who just runs around like a headless chicken on offense. It's good that you wanna be active on O but seriously dude move with some purpose and stop screwing up the court spacing and clogging up your teammates driving and cutting lanes.

The All-Star defender - This guy has no fundamentals at the defensive end and instead just tries to make highlight reel defensive plays all the time. So instead of staying in front of his man he'll reach or gamble in the passing lanes constantly. Instead of just bodying up and contesting layups he'll try to send every shot to the bleachers, usually resulting in hard fouls. And usually this guy tends to be someone who's supposedly the best player on the court and plays no defense whatsoever. Then he gets scored on a couple of times and decides to "lock down" his man and turns into an All-Star defender.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #48
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

My favorite is the guy who plays for fouls, as in just drives to the hoop constantly no matter what and calls a foul almost everytime when in reality all it does is create controversy and even if he's right all they do is get the ball back.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »