Home

Official POST-LOCKOUT Player Movement Thread (Trades, FAs, etc)

This is a discussion on Official POST-LOCKOUT Player Movement Thread (Trades, FAs, etc) within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #161
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Official POST-LOCKOUT Player Movement Thread (Trades, FAs, etc)

Chris Mannix from SI tweeting on the Celtics supposedly putting Rondo on the trading block and the potential of CP3 being traded.

@ChrisMannixSI
ESPN report that Boston would move Rondo in the right deal not surprising. Several GM's discussed Rondo w/C's as recently as 2011 deadline.

@ChrisMannixSI
I've been told any deal involving @CP3 is unlikely as long as the NBA is the de facto owner of the Hornets. They don't want that PR mess.

@ChrisMannixSI
The decision to trade Paul is a landscape changing one that the league would very much prefer be done by an independent owner.

@ChrisMannixSI
I've always thought a Rondo-Paul swap made some sense. Rondo a younger, cheaper but still very good player who is tied into long term deal
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #162
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Which is exactly why the whole "CP3 being traded to NY" doesn't make sense. Why would the next owner trade his money maker for or better yet, why would the league trade him since they still own the team? That would go against everything Stern and Silver were preaching about "competitive balance" and whatnot.

The only way he would even get to go there would be thru FA and he would be sacrificing alot of money just for that, thanks to the new CBA.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #163
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Unless the Knicks is willing to trade Melo to the Hornets I don't see it either. Can the Knicks actually trade Melo since he signed the extension?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #164
Hall Of Fame

Kashanova's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Which is exactly why the whole "CP3 being traded to NY" doesn't make sense. Why would the next owner trade his money maker for or better yet, why would the league trade him since they still own the team? That would go against everything Stern and Silver were preaching about "competitive balance" and whatnot.

The only way he would even get to go there would be thru FA and he would be sacrificing alot of money just for that, thanks to the new CBA.
He'd sacrifice a year in contract length I believe.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #165
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

Nah, he'd be sacrificing money as well. Up to $40 Mil according to Hollinger.

Would you sacrifice that amount just to play in the same place as your boys?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #166
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:

The Big 3 got $16M in the first year.

CP3 would get $13.5M in his first year of a new FA contract. I don't think he'd be hurting for money in a large market (LA, NY, etc).

Quote:
The Knicks should have enough room beneath the salary cap next summer to offer Paul, who can become a free agent after this season, a contract starting around $13.5 million, just less than the maximum. And while New Orleans could offer him more money, Paul, like his buddies James and Wade did in 2010, will gladly take a little less to join the team of his choice.
CP3

Last edited by bigeastbumrush; 11-29-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #167
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Nah, he'd be sacrificing money as well. Up to $40 Mil according to Hollinger.

Would you sacrifice that amount just to play in the same place as your boys?
He would be giving up (I think it's) $30M if he re-signs and stays with N.O.

No one expects him to.
It was the same thing with LBJ and Bosh. They gave up money to go elsewhere.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #168
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

1. Bron, Bosh and Wade made a combined $42 Mil in 2010. In 2012, Melo and Amare will have made a combined $40 Mil. And before somebody mentions this, you can't restructure deals already in place. The Heat did that as Free Agents so it's not like Melo and Amar'e can go and sacrifice some money from themselves. And that money that mWo gave up, that's being up thru State Tax so they really didn't sacrifice much.

2. This is from Hollinger's article(it's an ESPN Insider so I can't paste the whole thing:

Quote:
John Hollinger tries to temper Knick fans enthusiasm but running Chris Paul through the number cruncher that is the new CBA and bottom lines it this way: "Looks like a slam dunk, right? Not so fast." Hollinger notes that Paul can't earn more than $13.5 million under any reasonable scenario and would sacrifice a large fortune long-term.
Hollinger writes: "So if Paul really wants to go to New York, he can go -- as long as he's willing to give up, at a minimum, forty million dollars to do it
That's $40 Mil he'd leave on the table and maybe aside from Baseball, you can't name too many pro athletes who'd be willing to sacrifice that amount of money.

It is one thing that all three take a paycut and another one to ask possibly the best player out of the three to take a signidicant paycut to join 2 inferior players who took every penny they could thus making signing that 3rd star way harder.

Quote:
CP3 would get $13.5M in his first year of a new FA contract
In NY whereas another team with cap room could give him $17 Mil and NO can give him $19 Mil.

I'm not saying he's going to stay in NO because I don't know what he's going to do, just like I don't know what Deron is going to do. I'm just saying it's not as easy as the mainstream media clowns(like Broussard being one of them, always has)make it seem that it's a lock he'll go there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »