Home

NBA Off Topic

This is a discussion on NBA Off Topic within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #5153
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: NBA Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
That being said..there is nothing fundamentally wrong with either Crawford nor Wall's jump shots.

A time has to come when we stop making excuses for professional athletes.

How bad do they want it?
For what it's worth, I think Wall's shot in particular is fundamentally ****ed up. His footwork is incredibly bad and if I remember right, he kinda palms the ball when he shoots it. It's just ugly all-around.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 10-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #5154
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
I cant help but think about the scene from Above The Rim where the old head told Kyle Watson to spread his fingers and since then he's been nailing jumpers throughout the entire movie lol.

I know its a movie but you have to wonder about the little details in a player's mechanics that may be holding him back despite shooting 1000 jumpers a day in the offseason.

Rondo's hands are so big that he tends to palm the ball while shooting and the John Wall comment about his footwork is spot on too!

-Juke
Old 10-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #5155
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
For what it's worth, I think Wall's shot in particular is fundamentally ****ed up. His footwork is incredibly bad and if I remember right, he kinda palms the ball when he shoots it. It's just ugly all-around.
So why not work on it?

#1 draft pick can't afford to hire a shooting coach?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #5156
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
So why not work on it?

Oh, I'm not saying he can't work on it. I'm just saying he has a ****load of changes to make to his shot. Might just be better to always be a below average shooter and just work on building up the rest of his game.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 10-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #5157
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
I cant help but think about the scene from Above The Rim where the old head told Kyle Watson to spread his fingers and since then he's been nailing jumpers throughout the entire movie lol.

I know its a movie but you have to wonder about the little details in a player's mechanics that may be holding him back despite shooting 1000 jumpers a day in the offseason.
In the same breath, some players have some terrible forms fundamentally, but are still effective shooting the ball...

Paul Pierce, Kevin Martin come to mind...

Touch is just as important as form...and some players just naturally don't have that touch...
Old 10-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #5158
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
So why not work on it?

Evan Turner worked with Herb Magee (a shooting savant), last summer and his jumper didn't significantly improve.

2013 and 2015 OS NFL Pick'em Champ...somehow I won 2 in 3 years.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #5159
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
In the same breath, some players have some terrible forms fundamentally, but are still effective shooting the ball...

Paul Pierce, Kevin Martin come to mind...

Touch is just as important as form...and some players just naturally don't have that touch...
You think PP's form is that bad?

I think it's pretty decent, slow as hell, but pretty good considering that when he came into the league he was purely a slasher. His footwork IMO is/was second best to Kobe's. I saw a lot of him in college and he's a player who improved over his career, must have put some time in.

Wall's shot will improve WHEN he slows down and learns to play at different speeds.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #5160
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom1990
Evan Turner worked with Herb Magee (a shooting savant), last summer and his jumper didn't significantly improve.
Exactly. Working with every legend in the world isn't going improve your overall game right away. This isn't 2K where guys can go to the Larry Bird Shooting Drill and have their shooting rating improve by 20-30 pts just like that.

With Wall, if he develops just an average jump shot, then he'll be fine. He's never going to be a guy where you have to respect his jumper from anywhere and with his style and his game, he doesn't need that. He just needs to develop it as a fallback option in case he can't "Hold Right Trigger" his way into the paint for a layup every time.

As for Hakeem, I've asked this question before and never got an answer but what is the hype about working with him and how many players have came back looking significantly better than they did prior to working with him?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »