Home

NBA Off Topic

This is a discussion on NBA Off Topic within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #5185
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: NBA Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C the Lyte
They cut down on the handshaking pre-game to cut down on time and added options to be reviewed....

SMDH.
I think that the pre-game rule is dumb but the logic makes sense. They decrease the time spent on things that don't matter to the game and increase the time spent making sure the calls can be corrected if the refs get them wrong.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #5186
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Would work as well if they'd stop calling so many touch fouls slowing the game down
Old 10-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #5187
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Jeff Van Gundy speaks out on his brother not getting hired by ESPN:
Quote:
8:42PM EDT October 21. 2012 - Networks pay millions, even billions, to show games from marquee leagues. But are they essentially just ad agencies at the beck and call of those leagues?

Sometimes it seems like it.

Jeff Van Gundy
, ESPN/ABC's lead NBA game analyst, suggests his brother Stan's failure to land a studio analyst role at ESPN raises big questions about whether ESPN's NBA coverage can be reasonably independent.

Jeff, who hadn't previously spoken publicly on the issue until an interview with USA TODAY Sports, says his brother "had a basic agreement" to become an ESPN/ABC analyst in the marquee studio shows that wrap around game coverage: "And then something changed. There's certainly circumstantial evidence that something from the outside -- presumably the NBA -- changed (ESPN's) thinking. ... I was happy when they came to an agreement and shocked when they pulled their offer."

Obviously it's personal for Jeff, who used to be so nervous during some games when Stan coached the Orlando Magic that he wouldn't watch them on TV. And after ESPN asked Jeff to help recruit Stan, "Obviously this stings. Frankly, it's a shame what happened."

Going forward? "As a broadcaster of the NBA, it give you pause," Jeff says. "How forthcoming can you be? You don't want your honesty to cost you a chance at employment.This is a shot across the bow."

Jeff's big picture: "This is an organization that's treated me great. But this raises interesting questions about what a (league-network) partnership means. You have to realize, as a fan, you're not getting the whole truth. ... It seems like there are certain people in each sport that (TV) can't criticize, or you can't criticize the league itself. That's what impressed me when (ESPN's) Mike Tirico and Jon Gruden criticized the NFL over replacement refs. That (Commissioner) Roger Goodell didn't throw a hissy fit at ESPN was impressive."

Stan, fired by the Magic in May, has been quite vocal that the NBA kept him from getting an ESPN job, telling SheridanHoops.com that Commissioner David Stern "likes to control everybody and I said things he didn't like." (For example: Stan two years ago compared Stern to Libya's Moammar Gadhafi, saying Stern doesn't "tolerate other people's opinion or free speech or anything.")
Sunday, ESPN's Mike Soltys said, "We had discussions with (Stan) and we were interested in a role for him at ESPN. Ultimately, we moved in a different direction."

Stan, previously on Dan LeBatard's radio show, has responded to that ESPN line of thinking that the sides just couldn't agree on specific role: "That's a bunch of BS from ESPN. We actually did agree on a role, but they came back and pulled it."

NBA spokesman Mike Bass on Sunday said, "It was ESPN and ESPN alone who made any decisions about Stan Van Gundy."

Jeff says Stan is pursuing other on-air jobs -- "Maybe some college basketball or working for a team on a part-time basis" -- and would have been "outstanding at ESPN because he works hard, is smart and would have said what he thought the truth is."

Jeff, who teams with Mike Breen on the NBA Finals, is ESPN's top NBA opinionizer. He says, "You have to be careful as a news organization that you don't fall into voluntary censorship, that you worry about offending your 'league partner.' I never worried about that. I worry about fans listening."
Jeff wants to be clear he likes ESPN -- "It's supportive, kind, fun and generous, frankly" -- and the network doesn't pass along any pressure it gets from the league, except when producers sometimes suggest "you were wrong to go here, that you could have made the same point by saying it this way."

But, he says, "While this is an organization that's treated me great, it raises questions about what these so-called partnerships mean. You have to realize as a fan, you're not getting the whole truth."

When Jeff first interviewed with ESPN and TNT, where he was an analyst, he says, "The first thing they asked was whether you're willing to be critical. You have to think long and hard. You might not want to go where they want you to go.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nutes/1647505/
Old 10-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #5188
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
I think that the pre-game rule is dumb but the logic makes sense. They decrease the time spent on things that don't matter to the game and increase the time spent making sure the calls can be corrected if the refs get them wrong.
The reviews in the NBA take way too long. Most of the time if it's a bad call..it will even itself out as the game goes on. It's really unnecessary.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #5189
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
I have a feeling the block/ charge review will do more bad than good...smh
Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #5190
JB4MVP

JODYE's Arena

OVR: 8

It absolutely is.

I would have rather them taken it out of the game completely rather than do this. It's a judgement call. Every call on the floor is.

That's like allowing reviews on penalties in football. Makes no sense.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #5191
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Right. Smh.

Man this XBOX 360 Gametime app is dope!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #5192
L.A. to S.D. to HI

Boltman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Right. Smh.

Man this XBOX 360 Gametime app is dope!!
About to go on my 360 now, but any chance you can elaborate?

Because I have no idea what you're talking about as far as the 360 app.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »