Home

ESPN Top 100 list

This is a discussion on ESPN Top 100 list within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2016, 12:06 AM   #81
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: ESPN Top 100 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
Robinson was all finesse and no power. He couldn't pass or handle. He missed free throws and jumpers in the clutch all the time. He could play weak side defense but couldn't contain serious scorers with face and go capabilities. A good player but not an all timer, I feel.
Couldn't disagree with you more. David was an elite athlete (maybe top 5 all-time at his position), he was an elite rebounder, an all-time great help defender and one of the few big men that could bother Shaquille O'Neal (even outplayed him during his prime). David was a notorious playoff underachiever, but he never played with a another great teammate until Tim Duncan arrived.

That is without mentioning his offensive game, that you will say was "rudimentary," but somehow his "rudimentary" offense allowed him to lead the league in scoring.

David was easily better than every player you mentioned and especially the highly overrated (in your eye's) Dennis Rodman. Only a crazy man would place a lunatic, cancerous and disruptive role player like Rodman in the company of Robinson.

Silliest and worst HOF choice ever, IMO. (Rodman is who I'm speaking of......)

from Spurs Nation/Bills Backer HQ

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #82
MVP

OVR: 25

Athletically, I would agree that Robinson was close to top five at the position. He could really run and jump. He couldn't board in a crowd of strongmen. Outplaying Shaq in his prime? I don't remember that. Orlando and Los Angeles pre-Jackson ran some predictable scoring attacks.

I was always a Sean Elliot fan. He was plenty good enough to win with. I would class Dennis Rodman as a Hall of Fame role player. The point is that with a modicum of talent a true superstar will raise the respective games of his teammates.

Robinson was very talented and the Spurs routinely pointed the ball at him. It isn't surprising that he led the league in scoring.

I disagree. I think the players I named influenced ball games more than Robinson. Rodman was an incredible defender and rebounder. Defense makes up about 55% of the game and Rodman could guard three positions effectively.

I think Rodman certainly belongs in the Hall. I could easily name 30 guys who have no business being in Springfield over Rodman.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:43 AM   #83
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

More often than not if player A is a player you can build your team around, and player B isn't, then player A is likely the better player.

From the year Robinson came into the league he made 7 all defensive teams which is the same amount that Rodman had in that span, he was the defensive player of the year once to Rodman's two DPOY awards, he was the league MVP, he's led the league in scoring, rebounding, blocks.. He's on of the most well rounded stars of his era.

I'm not going to touch on the far back players, but having watched Robinson and Rodman for myself I will say that those two aren't even close.

This is the top 100 players list. There are no extra brownie point for winning a ring as a 6th man, or as a defined role rebounder. If you aren't better than someone you shouldn't be listed as. There are plenty of players who have had similar careers, some players who might even be better, yet they aren't anywhere to be found on this list. Rodman somehow lands in the top 65? If it weren't for his rings he wouldn't even be in the top 100, much less listed nearly half way down the list.

Rodman played in 6 NBA finals. 4 of them he was a non starter. In only 2 of them did he play at least 30 minutes a game.

Rodman should be recognized as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, rebounders to ever play the game. As well as one of the best and most well rounded defenders of his era. Aside from that, his name amongst anything "all time" probably shouldn't even be mentioned. I have no problem with him landing in the HOF. A player who can be recognized as maybe the best rebounder ever, and play a big role in 5 championships should be in the HOF.. But this list isn't the HOF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #84
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Defense makes up about 55% of the game and Rodman could guard three positions effectively.

This statement simply isn't true. The fact that the best defenders would/could never stop the best scorers makes the percentage to be under half already. And the fact that 5 guys, and team defense, FAR outweighs what an individual can do brings the percentage even lower.

Rodman is one of the best defenders I've ever been alive to witness. But even in saying that I believe you could make a case that Robinson even had more value at that end simply for being an elite shot blocker..

Other than the era we are currently watching I'm not sure any wing defender has ever had the league value that a shot blocker has. You can/could build an entire defensive game plan around good rim protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #85
MVP

The NBA's field goal percentage is around 45% which means that the defense triumphs 55% of the time. In screen/rolls it is important for five men to be alert with the rotations yes. Inevitably though the game comes down to one on one situations. Here, it is vital to have the serious chest to chest defender that can force the shot under heavy pressure.

Robinson had incredible range on his baseline rotations I agree. However, the many points he surrendered in one on one confrontations negated most of his saving blocks.

You can build an entire defensive game plan around good rim protection. Think Bill Russell or Nate Thurmond. Not David Robinson.

Last edited by AlexBrady; 03-28-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2016, 12:22 PM   #86
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Robinson was all finesse and no power. He couldn't pass or handle. He missed free throws and jumpers in the clutch all the time. He could play weak side defense but couldn't contain serious scorers with face and go capabilities. A good player but not an all timer, I feel.
A lot of sweeping statements here with little fact backing things up. For a true seven-foot center (listed 7'1''), I thought his handles were outstanding for a man his size.

Obviously, he was never expected to isolate and operate like he was Allen Iverson or something but for his position, the fellow could handle the rock, and he was quick off the dribble to boot, which is a large reason why he was so dangerous offensively (facing up and blowing by defenders off the dribble): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVuMMxBChs8#t=3m18s).

Moreover, you flatly state that Robinson couldn't pass. The 1994 Spurs ran out Negele Knight as their starting point guard that season. Robinson responded by leading his team in assists, as well as ever other major statistical category outside of rebounding (because Rodman, though Robinson still grabbed 11 a night there). The Spurs often ran their offense through Robinson at the elbow and high post, in large part because he was such a capable passer.

He was still a scorer through and through, but saying he couldn't pass is being disingenuous, unless we're using Magic Johnson, John Stockton, and Bob Cousy as his measuring sticks.

Quote:
He missed free throws and jumpers in the clutch all the time.
I'm certain Robinson, like every other center who ever lived, missed free throws and other shots in the clutch. But what basis is there to suggest he did so all the time? Any reference? Is that just what you remember?

Quote:
He could play weak side defense but couldn't contain serious scorers with face and go capabilities.
Robinson was handled by '95 Hakeem via single coverage in the 1995 WCF. And no one stopped Shaquille O'Neal (Shaq averaged 28 points and shot 60% against Hakeem in the Finals that year). So if we're only talking about stopping two of the game's most unstoppable forces, Robinson had his share of struggles. That said, battles were often much closer to even during all other matchups between Robinson and Olajuwon (though he always struggled stopping O'Neal... join the club, so did Hakeem).

Robinson vs. Olajuwon head-to-head comparison: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=robinda01

Quote:
Robinson was all finesse and no power.
Very popular and easy critique that people have made for years, largely because Robinson didn't scream, taunt, or flex and lived an openly gentle life off the court. He was still capable of dishing things like this out as needed:

Quote:
The NBA's field goal percentage is around 45% which means that the defense triumphs 55% of the time. In screen/rolls it is important for five men to be alert with the rotations yes. Inevitably, though the game comes down to one on one situations. Here, it is vital to have the serious chest to chest defender that can force the shot under heavy pressure.

Robinson had incredible range on his baseline rotations I agree. However, the many points he surrendered in one on one confrontations negated most of his saving blocks.

You can build an entire defensive game plan around good rim protection. Think Bill Russell or Nate Thurmond. Not David Robinson.
Just a head's up, concluding the game of basketball if 55% defense because teams only shoot 45% really, really, really oversimplifies matters, as if an offense would shoot 100% if a defense didn't contest their shots well. Assuming a squad isn't just giving up uncontested layups on literally every single play (at which point the opposition still may miss one here or there), a team's field goal percentage has a ton to do with each offensive player's ability to make a given shot, whether open or contested.

Basically, it doesn't really work to play the "defense is 55 percent of the game" card simply based off of field goal percentages, for it skips over the hundreds, if not thousands, of other factors that go into a team's field goal percentage.

All that said, I've noticed a lot of words being written in terms of tearing down David Robinson but there hasn't been a lot said in Dave DeBusschere's regard aside from saying he was a powerful defender and rebounder with 25-foot range.

At its core, David Robinson was a guy who averaged 26 points, 12 rebounds, 4 blocks, 2 steals, and 3 assists during his seven-year prime. He took turns leading the league in three different major statistical categories (Points, Rebounds, Blocks), was a consummate professional and turned any roster he was a part of into a 55-game winner (even if his second leading scorer was a past-his-prime Dale Ellis).

Dave DeBusschere is an undoubted Hall of Famer, and he played a big role in those NBA championship runs when the Knicks were stocked with fellow Hall of Famers Walt Frazier, Willis Reed, Bill Bradley, and Earl Monroe. But I can't see a way to argue a head-to-head matchup with David Robinson in his favor, aside from using non-specific anecdotes like, "Dave DeBusschere was a man's man who knew how to get the job done. Robinson wasn't."

Last edited by VDusen04; 03-28-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #87
MVP

For sure, his handle was good enough to get him through a broken field. Not good enough to carry the ball through a crowd though.

At 2:40 of the third video Robinson takes his left hand to to the middle and uses a fake, the defender doesn't bite but Robinson gets bailed out with the whistle. That was his favorite move and smart defenders could react to it appropriately.

Anyways, the clips are impressive but not unexpected of a talented and skilled guy like Robinson. A big man who can score on drop off passes, put backs, and flying dunks on the run is very valuable.

You didn't see the tight spins or drop-steps, the duck-unders or step throughs. Where are the off-handed hooks? Moreover, most of his catches were far removed from the basket.

Passwork? Decent in these clips. Simplistic though. Where are the complicated skip or out passes? Passes on the move?

Robinson's assist to turnover ratio in the regular season: 2.5:2.4
In the playoffs: 2.3:2.3

Robinson's field goal and free throw % in the regular season: 51.8: 73.6
In the playoffs: 47.9:70.8

Am I tearing Robinson down or giving a realistic appraisal of his game? Robinson was very talented and he put up big numbers. Still, when it comes to scoring, rebounding, blocking, ect WHEN a player does these deeds is more important than the sheer total.

Any direct comparison between DeBusschere and Robinson is useless. Their respective jobs were too different. For me though, DeBusshere's total package was heavier than Robinson's.

Last edited by AlexBrady; 03-28-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #88
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Glad yall are handling this Robinson topic...didn't feel like typing lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »