Home

Old 02-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #265
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: ESPN Top 100 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
"he needs to get his butt in the post".. Where as now it seems that some of these guys are good enough from inside and out that they're just as dominant offensively as great low post scorers were in their own way.
The numbers look similar but the impact is much different. Dreadnaught low-post scorers put so much pressure on the rim that they force the defense to bend its shape. Floor-stretchers either make or miss their jumpers. Both styles can be effective.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2019, 07:06 PM   #266
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Unhappy Re: ESPN Top 100 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
The numbers look similar but the impact is much different. Dreadnaught low-post scorers put so much pressure on the rim that they force the defense to bend its shape. Floor-stretchers either make or miss their jumpers. Both styles can be effective.
A player who stretches the floor can also make a defense bend it's shape, just in different ways. They also force mismatches for guards, why the league has so many high ball screens, and they can help open driving lanes that until the last few years teams were figuring out how to close down on with these newer zone-like defenses.

Not that many slow-footed guys playing huge minutes now, but pulling out the slower ones and making them switch, or just getting a shot blocker to commit to leaving the rim, definitely aids in more benefits to your team than just making or missing a jumper.

Especially if a player is effective as a rim runner. Guys getting near max contracts from that alone in today's game. Receiving entry passes all game long with a defender camped behind you is a relatively predictable offense as well. If you can set a good ball screen, make the right roll, and the guard is a capable passer, you're not catching the ball with defenders set on you. You're catching the ball with an opening, with defenders scrambling.

I'm not sure what the exact value would be in a strictly back to the basket scorer in today's game. Would be hard to run the rest of your offense if 1-4 are switching all the screens. The player would almost have to draw double teams.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:25 AM   #267
MVP

Screen/pop maneuvers are more easily defensible than ever before. Certainly, forcing a shot-blocker to abandon the rim is beneficial but I was only referring to ball-in-hand implications.

Rim-running isn't a game changer. The very simple counter is to side-step and front them.

Again, defenses are designed to counter frontal assaults on the rim resulting from screen/rolls. This play can be rendered almost useless by good teams.

Truly great back to the basket scorers are virtually extinct now because most of the young bigs have become convinced that 'playing small' is the way to go. Hardly any great big men coaches anymore at the high school, AAU, and college levels.

A bogarting, dominating big man is still the rarest commodity in basketball and has the greatest impact on a game.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #268
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

In the general discussion of all time great players, is Chris Paul's career underrated? Post injury he had to change his game a bit, and I know a lot of people dislike some of his on-court antics. But still... What are yalls thoughts on that?
Old 06-02-2019, 12:09 AM   #269
MVP

Quote:
In the general discussion of all time great players, is Chris Paul's career underrated? Post injury he had to change his game a bit, and I know a lot of people dislike some of his on-court antics. But still... What are yalls thoughts on that?
Paul is one of the best pure point guards of all time. Always overrated on defense though as he takes too many gambles and can be posted. When he first emerged on the scene I thought he would become a better player than Detroit's ISiah Thomas but this hasn't come to fruition. Hard to lead a team to glory when you stand 5-11.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:58 PM   #270
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
Paul is one of the best pure point guards of all time. Always overrated on defense though as he takes too many gambles and can be posted. When he first emerged on the scene I thought he would become a better player than Detroit's ISiah Thomas but this hasn't come to fruition. Hard to lead a team to glory when you stand 5-11.
Funny that you mentioned Zeke, he was actually part of the reason I asked the question. I'd like to know, how do you compare the two of them? What made you think CP3 would be better than him, and what has kept that from happening in your eyes?
Old 06-03-2019, 01:26 AM   #271
MVP

Quote:
Funny that you mentioned Zeke, he was actually part of the reason I asked the question. I'd like to know, how do you compare the two of them? What made you think CP3 would be better than him, and what has kept that from happening in your eyes?
Zeke was 6-1 and was about ten pounds heavier than Paul so he didn't depend on screens as much to locate his shots and thereby made him tougher to double team. Zeke was more of a shoot first guy than Paul. In his early seasons Paul had blinding quickness and a maturity beyond his years so I thought he could eventually compel his team to a title given the right pieces around him. His leg surgery sapped some quickness, he has been on the wrong teams at the wrong time, and (let's face it) he has choked at times in big games.

Last edited by AlexBrady; 06-03-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #272
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

https://youtu.be/cBTs0VgLo6c

Posted this here so I didn’t get lost in the off-topic thread. Pretty cool clip. I remember seeing clips/highlights from one of these games before, with Jordan playing so maybe 88-90ish, but this one is fun to watch with that Magic-Bird connection.

Also check out the other #33, who looks like Robert Reid maybe? Out there with some “big man” no look passes of his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »