Home

2017-2018 NBA Season Predictions

This is a discussion on 2017-2018 NBA Season Predictions within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2017, 11:37 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
2017-2018 NBA Season Predictions

Rookie of the year is tough. Simmons has the advantage being his 2nd year, and usually those guys tend to do well. But both Fox and Smith are in a good situation to have some really big numbers. My sleeper picks are Jonathan Isaac and Jarret Allen.

Defensive Player - I would think Kawhi individually, but both Gobert and Green I think effect more players on the court. Green with his versatility, and Gobert because a big man defensively does more for the team than a perimeter defender.

Sixth Man - This award is always tough to predict because player roles change so much from year to year. I think one of the Boston guys has a good shot. I don't know who's predicted to start, but Brown or Smart should have a good chance.

Most Improved: Myles Turner, Andrew Harrison, Jusuf Nurkic. I'm not sure how many minutes he's slotted to get, or if he's really even healthy again, but my sleeper pick is Quincy Pondexter. Looking at the Bulls roster I think he's a guy who could get plenty of opportunity.

Coach: Brad Stevens

Finals: Cavs/Warriors

Champs: Warriors

Last edited by ojandpizza; 10-05-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:30 AM   #10
Rookie

khouji's Arena

Re: 2017-2018 NBA Season Predictions

For lakers, Jordan Clarkson should step up and for Cavaliers, Dwayne Wade and Lebron should get the rhythm like they always do.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Individual Accolades
Most Valuable Player: Giannis Antetokounmpo
Rookie of the Year: Dennis Smith Jr.
Defensive Player of the Year: Kawhi Leonard
Sixth Man of the Year: J.R. Smith
Most Improved Player: Jaylen Brown
Coach of the Year: Brad Stevens

All-NBA First Team: Steph Curry, James Harden, LeBron James, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Karl-Anthony Towns
All-NBA Second Team: Russell Westbrook, John Wall, Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant, Antony Davis
All-NBA Third Team: Kyrie Irving, Damion Lillard, Paul George, Gordon Hayward, Rudy Gobert

All-Defensive First Team: Patrick Beverly, Avery Bradley, Khawi Leonard, Draymond Green , Rudy Gobert
All-Defensive Second Team: Chris Paul, Marcus Smart, Jimmy Butler, Giannis Antetokounmpo, DeAndre Jordan

All-Rookie First Team: Dennis Smith Jr., Lonzo Ball, Jayson Tatum, Ben Simmons, Josh Jackson
All-Rookie Second Team: Markelle Fultz, De'Aaron Fox, Donavon Mitchell, Justin Jackson, Kyle Kuzma
Team Accolades
Playoff Teams - Eastern Conference: Celtics, Cavaliers, Bucks, Wizards, Raptors, Heat, Hornets, Pistons

Playoff Teams - Western Conference: Warriors, Thunder, Rockets, Spurs, Timberwolves, Nuggets, Clippers, Pelicans

Division Titles
Atlantic: Celtics
Central: Cavs
Southeast: Wizards

Pacific: Warriors
Southwest: Spurs
Northwest: Thunder
Eastern Conference Champions: Cavs

Western Conference Champions: Warriors

NBA Champions: Warriors in 7

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #12
Rookie

LetBaalPlead's Arena

Individual Accolades
Most Valuable Player: LeBron James
Rookie of the Year: Lonzo Ball
Defensive Player of the Year: Draymond Green
Sixth Man of the Year: Kyle Korver
Most Improved Player: Kristaps Porzingis
Coach of the Year: Billy Donovan

All-NBA First Team: Russell Westbrook, James Harden, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and DeMarcus Cousins.
All-NBA Second Team: Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, Draymond Green, Nikola Jokic.
All-NBA Third Team: Kyrie Irving, C.J. McCollum, Paul George, Kristaps Porzingis, and Brook Lopez.

All-Defensive First Team: Chris Paul, Klay Thompson, Kahwi Leonard, Draymond Green, Anthony Davis.

All-Rookie First Team: Lonzo Ball, Malik Monk, Ben Simmons, Lauri Markkanen, and Zach Collins.

Eastern Conference Champions: Cleveland Cavaliers in 6 vs. Boston Celtics.

Western Conference Champions: Golden State Warriors in 5 vs. Houston Rockets.

NBA Champions:
Golden State Warriors 6 vs. Cleveland Cavaliers.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #13
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Individual Accolades
Most Valuable Player: KD
Rookie of the Year: Ben Simmons
Defensive Player of the Year: Kawhi Leonard
Sixth Man of the Year: Lou Williams
Most Improved Player: Myles Turner
Coach of the Year: Brad Stevens

All-NBA First Team:
All-NBA Second Team:
All-NBA Third Team:

All-Defensive First Team:
All-Defensive Second Team:

All-Rookie First Team:
All-Rookie Second Team:

Could care less about these All NBA teams, this is a joke, letting Sports writers, impact who gets super max deals. So Im not going to even try to guess how these clowns will choose.
Team Accolades
Playoff Teams - Eastern Conference: Boston,Cleveland,Wizards, Toronto, Bucks, Heat, Hornets, Pacers

Playoff Teams - Western Conference: Warriors, Spurs, OKC, Rockets, Minnesota, Clippers, Utah, Portland
I think the WC will come right down to the last game for the last couple seeds, as both Denver, and Pelicans, I see being right in the mix

Division Titles
Atlantic: Boston
Central: Cavs
Southeast: Wizards

Pacific: Warriors
Southwest: Spurs
Northwest: OKC
Eastern Conference Champions: Cavs

Western Conference Champions: Warriors

NBA Champions: Warriors
[/quote]

Going out on a limb, an maybe its just wishful thinking that my Pacers will make the playoffs, even though I do think the EC is getting better, its still weak enough for the last 2 or 3 seeds to be just average teams.

I really wanted to pick the Celtics to win the EC, but I just cant pick against a Lebron led team, just yet. I think a lot will depend on how both the Celtics and Cavs rosters mesh together. Also Boston is not going to be as good defensively, Im sure they will be solid, because of Brad Stevens, but losing Crowder and Bradley. Also both teams have players who break down fairly easy, with Rose and Love with the Cavs, and not know how IT will come back and fit in. And Boston has Kyrie who breaks down pretty easy as well. Horford hasnt been the most durable player either, so obviously health will be a key for both of these teams.

WC, outside of a natural disaster hitting the bay area and taking the Warriors out, I dont see any team beating them. Only other way outside of injuries that could stop the Warriors, is if Durant's mouth starts to cause chemistry issues, since he seems so concerned with what others think of him.

I do think if OKC can get Russ, PG and Melo to play well together, and they move the ball, they will pass the Spurs for the 2 seed, but getting 3 ball stoppers to all of a sudden start passing and moving vs playing 1 on 1, they could be a force offensively, but if Russ and Melo dont dig in defensively they wont be much different than the Rockets, and the Rockets actually added a couple players who will play D despite D'anphony not requiring a players to play much D.

I think the surprise WC team could be the Pelicans, if AD stays on the court instead of in street clothes with a injury. I think the only thing that will hold them back is there HC Alvin Gentry, they shouldnt have gotten rid of Monty, Monty is a much better coach than Gentry.
IMO the only way your going to have a chance to beat the Warriors, is by doing the opposite of what they do. Your not going to outscore them, they have arguably the greatest pure shooter ever in Curry, and Klay is right behind him, and Durant isnt all that far behind. I think all 3 players are the 3 best pure shooters in the league today, so you are not going to beat them by trying to run and score with them.
To have any shot to beat them, you need to go big pound the ball inside, to slow the game down and get them in foul trouble, and also play physical, as much as the league allows these days that is, but you need to push the boundaries to a degree with physicality, be as close to the bad boy Pistons as you can in todays game that is So if they can toughen up AD, and get some good hard nosed perimeter defenders, and try to mess with Curry, Klay and KD. Obviously in todays game your going to have to be able to knock down the 3 when its there as well to compete with them.
Outside of their coach I think the Pelicans have the start of a roster if they can build upon it, to where they could be a bad matchup for the Warriors small ball. 1st they need a good coach, so until that happens they probably wont do much, other than possibly sneak into the playoffs. Until Hayward left the Jazz, I thought they were building a team that possibly could give the Warriors a bad matchup, in the near future, but without Hayward, they have taken a big step back, even though I a big fan of their HC. I think the T-Wolves are building a team that could eventually be able to do this against the Warriors, as well, with hard nose D and the ability to pound it inside and knock the 3 down when available, but they probably not quite there yet, but give them another yr, and I think they can be a force.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts

Last edited by CaseIH; 10-17-2017 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

Cavs in 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #15
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
I think the surprise WC team could be the Pelicans, if AD stays on the court instead of in street clothes with a injury. I think the only thing that will hold them back is there HC Alvin Gentry, they shouldnt have gotten rid of Monty, Monty is a much better coach than Gentry.
IMO the only way your going to have a chance to beat the Warriors, is by doing the opposite of what they do. Your not going to outscore them, they have arguably the greatest pure shooter ever in Curry, and Klay is right behind him, and Durant isnt all that far behind. I think all 3 players are the 3 best pure shooters in the league today, so you are not going to beat them by trying to run and score with them.
To have any shot to beat them, you need to go big pound the ball inside, to slow the game down and get them in foul trouble, and also play physical, as much as the league allows these days that is, but you need to push the boundaries to a degree with physicality, be as close to the bad boy Pistons as you can in todays game that is So if they can toughen up AD, and get some good hard nosed perimeter defenders, and try to mess with Curry, Klay and KD. Obviously in todays game your going to have to be able to knock down the 3 when its there as well to compete with them.
Outside of their coach I think the Pelicans have the start of a roster if they can build upon it, to where they could be a bad matchup for the Warriors small ball. 1st they need a good coach, so until that happens they probably wont do much, other than possibly sneak into the playoffs. Until Hayward left the Jazz, I thought they were building a team that possibly could give the Warriors a bad matchup, in the near future, but without Hayward, they have taken a big step back, even though I a big fan of their HC. I think the T-Wolves are building a team that could eventually be able to do this against the Warriors, as well, with hard nose D and the ability to pound it inside and knock the 3 down when available, but they probably not quite there yet, but give them another yr, and I think they can be a force.
New Orleans has no wings and two starting guards are incredibly injury prone (Rondo is already hurt), along with an injury prone Davis and an emotional Cousins who you can never count out to lead the league in technicals and therefore, get suspended. Spacing is going to be terrible with a Rondo, Holiday, Allen, Davis, and Cousins lineup. IIRC Solomon Hill is injured as well, so the Pelicans are already off to a bad start health-wise, as has been the case every year since they made the playoffs as an 8 seed years ago. Not buying into them.

Utah lost Hayward, which may eventually be a blessing in disguise if they're able to retool and become a contender 2 to 3 years from now when Golden State's dominance looks to end. Yeah, losing our franchise player sucks, but if guys like Mitchell, Hood, Favors, Burks Ingles, Rubio, and even Gobert all elevate their play, they could have another strong year this year. I like Mitchell, Exum, and Hood in the future with Gobert as a main core going forward.

Minnesota on the otherhand I think is primed for a disappointing season. Butler is awesome, but you can't have two of your best three players be below-average/horrid on defense and expect to win 45+ games in the West. KAT and Wiggins HAVE to improve defensively if they want to make the playoffs this year. There's no room for error when they're competing with teams like Utah, Memphis, Clippers, Portland, and Denver just for a spot in the playoffs; they'll have to bring it every night and I just don't think they have the depth to do it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee

Last edited by JazzMan; 10-16-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2017, 02:48 AM   #16
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMan
New Orleans has no wings and two starting guards are incredibly injury prone (Rondo is already hurt), along with an injury prone Davis and an emotional Cousins who you can never count out to lead the league in technicals and therefore, get suspended. Spacing is going to be terrible with a Rondo, Holiday, Allen, Davis, and Cousins lineup. IIRC Solomon Hill is injured as well, so the Pelicans are already off to a bad start health-wise, as has been the case every year since they made the playoffs as an 8 seed years ago. Not buying into them.

Utah lost Hayward, which may eventually be a blessing in disguise if they're able to retool and become a contender 2 to 3 years from now when Golden State's dominance looks to end. Yeah, losing our franchise player sucks, but if guys like Mitchell, Hood, Favors, Burks Ingles, Rubio, and even Gobert all elevate their play, they could have another strong year this year. I like Mitchell, Exum, and Hood in the future with Gobert as a main core going forward.

Minnesota on the otherhand I think is primed for a disappointing season. Butler is awesome, but you can't have two of your best three players be below-average/horrid on defense and expect to win 45+ games in the West. KAT and Wiggins HAVE to improve defensively if they want to make the playoffs this year. There's no room for error when they're competing with teams like Utah, Memphis, Clippers, Portland, and Denver just for a spot in the playoffs; they'll have to bring it every night and I just don't think they have the depth to do it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I didnt realize Pelican were already dealing with so many injuries, or I just forgot, before I wrote down my predictions. Your right they are already starting off on a bad foot, and with Gentry as their coach, they probably miss out. Think I will change that to Utah or Denver. The West is so hard to judge, outside of the Warriors, alot of teams are close talent wise in the WC.

I think you will see the T-Wolves D improve this yr, Thibb is a defensive minded coach, and now with Butler being there they have a lock down defender. Wiggins has the tools to be a lock down defender. Jeff Teague will hurt them some when it comes to the better pg's in the league,as he was a liability for us last yr, after having George Hill those yrs.
WC has to be a nightmare for coaches not named Steve Kerr or Popovich,lol. Really outside of the Warriors being so much better than everyone else, the others teams in the WC outside of the Lakers, Suns, Kings, and Mavs, the 2 thru 8 seed is up in the air.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts

Last edited by CaseIH; 10-17-2017 at 03:02 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »