Home

2018 Off-Season Thread

This is a discussion on 2018 Off-Season Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #113
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: 2017-2018 Off-Season Thread

I would trade Gordon Hayward instead of Kyrie if I was Ainge. I've never understood any fascination with this guy and I don't think he's gonna be a huge difference maker like people think he will. Plus, they are absolutely stacked at the wing position. Tatum should surpass Hayward by his 3rd year at the latest, but possibly as soon as next year. Brown can get buckets and is a better defender than Hayward. Smart's defensive versatility is extremely valuable and Terry Rozier could possibly be the best backup PG in the league.

So you've got all that already...add a healthy Kyrie to the squad and you're a Finals contender. Yet you've got $30 mil wrapped up in one guy that quite frankly, you don't really need.

At the same time, I can see how the thought of a Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford starting 5 can be very enticing. And next year at least they'd still have Morris and Rozier on the bench, probably not Smart though. Not sure if they can keep Baynes or not either.

Idk, I'd see what the market would be like for Hayward and see if I could get a nicely priced big and re-sign Smart rather than pay a dude $30 mil a year that pretty much only scores.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #114
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Maybe I’m wrong, but it just doesn’t seem feasible that they will be able to afford Kyrie, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Horford. And if they can they’ll be saying goodbye to guys like Smart, Rozier, Morris, Baynes, etc.

Idk what type of money Brown will command, but if it’s anything like the money guys like Porter or Wiggins got then he’ll be gone in another two years or so, assuming they have plans on keeping Tatum who looks like he could eventually be the team’s best player.

I believe Boston is already over the cap now, Kyrie also has to be resigned after next season assuming he even wants to stay in Boston, and will likely reject his player option. Smart’s contract ends this season and has likely out-priced his qualifying offer, Rozier in the same situation after next season. Horford has a 30mil player option after next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #115
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
I would trade Gordon Hayward instead of Kyrie if I was Ainge. I've never understood any fascination with this guy and I don't think he's gonna be a huge difference maker like people think he will. Plus, they are absolutely stacked at the wing position. Tatum should surpass Hayward by his 3rd year at the latest, but possibly as soon as next year. Brown can get buckets and is a better defender than Hayward. Smart's defensive versatility is extremely valuable and Terry Rozier could possibly be the best backup PG in the league.

So you've got all that already...add a healthy Kyrie to the squad and you're a Finals contender. Yet you've got $30 mil wrapped up in one guy that quite frankly, you don't really need.

At the same time, I can see how the thought of a Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford starting 5 can be very enticing. And next year at least they'd still have Morris and Rozier on the bench, probably not Smart though. Not sure if they can keep Baynes or not either.

Idk, I'd see what the market would be like for Hayward and see if I could get a nicely priced big and re-sign Smart rather than pay a dude $30 mil a year that pretty much only scores.

But does San Antonio trade a top 5 player for Hayward and the hopes of Brown continuing to get better? They’ve already wanted Kyrie in the past, which is why he was the player I used in the hypothetical trade. The thing with Hayward is you know he wants to be there with Stevens, you don’t have to worry about him signing elsewhere or demanding a trade, that’s his guy.

But yeah, if I were Boston I would rather keep Kyrie, but Stevens ain’t giving the go ahead on a Hayward trade. And San Antonio likely doesn’t move Kawhi for him either.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #116
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

How do they know that don’t “need” Hayward after one year? Or one game?

And I thought he proved he could do more just score?
Old 05-06-2018, 06:38 PM   #117
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Yeah Hayward can do more than just score. He’s a secondary ball handler, can run that “point forward” roll if you need it, he’s a good passer, he can rebound, he moves without the ball, and he’s a solid defender as well.

He’s not going to just erupt for 30+ points, or go grab 10 boards, or lock down the other teams best scorer, on the regular, but he’s one of the more solid, consistently steady players in the league.

If Tatum keeps developing at this rate they may not “need” what Hayward brings, but the Warriors didn’t “need” KD either.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #118
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

OVR: 24

Hayward is a v good defender. as a volume scorer Hayward is one of the more efficient players in the league. to a degree you can run the offense through him ala Horford. I don't understand.

Last edited by BleacherBum2310; 05-06-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #119
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
But does San Antonio trade a top 5 player for Hayward and the hopes of Brown continuing to get better? They’ve already wanted Kyrie in the past, which is why he was the player I used in the hypothetical trade. The thing with Hayward is you know he wants to be there with Stevens, you don’t have to worry about him signing elsewhere or demanding a trade, that’s his guy.

But yeah, if I were Boston I would rather keep Kyrie, but Stevens ain’t giving the go ahead on a Hayward trade. And San Antonio likely doesn’t move Kawhi for him either.

No, SA would not trade Kawhi for Hayward and Brown, but I wasn't saying that either. I still think they need another 4/5 cause as stated, they are stacked at 1-3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
How do they know that don’t “need” Hayward after one year? Or one game?

And I thought he proved he could do more just score?
It's my opinion from watching them and knowing with their youth, they're only going to get better.

And I said Hayward "pretty much" only scores. He's a good system guy, good defender, better team defender than individual defender. But he's not gonna shut down anybody on D and he isn't much of a playmaker. Not sure I'd want to pay $30 mil for that, but maybe that's just me?
Old 05-06-2018, 06:51 PM   #120
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Maybe I’m wrong, but it just doesn’t seem feasible that they will be able to afford Kyrie, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Horford. And if they can they’ll be saying goodbye to guys like Smart, Rozier, Morris, Baynes, etc.

Idk what type of money Brown will command, but if it’s anything like the money guys like Porter or Wiggins got then he’ll be gone in another two years or so, assuming they have plans on keeping Tatum who looks like he could eventually be the team’s best player.

I believe Boston is already over the cap now, Kyrie also has to be resigned after next season assuming he even wants to stay in Boston, and will likely reject his player option. Smart’s contract ends this season and has likely out-priced his qualifying offer, Rozier in the same situation after next season. Horford has a 30mil player option after next season.

see I'm still in the belief BOS can bring everyone back and still get Smart back at a reasonable number. Rozier probably gone the following year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »