Home

2018 Off-Season Thread

This is a discussion on 2018 Off-Season Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
OS Roundtable: How Long Do Sports Games Last for You?
Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal
Need For Speed Heat Review

Old 05-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #177
All Star

OVR: 5
Re: 2017-2018 Off-Season Thread

Warriors in talk w/ Klay Thompson for team-friendly contract extension that would keep him off the market. https://theathletic.com/350689/2018/...ff-the-market/

Seriously, **** these guys and their sacrificing, lol. He'd be leaving $50 mil on the table!
Old 05-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #178
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Warriors News per ProBasketballTalk:

Quote:
Klay Thompson wants to stay with the Warriors. More specifically, he wants to stay with the dominant Warriors who have Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant and Draymond Green.

So, Thompson might put his money where his mouth is this summer.

Marcus Thompson of The Athletic:

According to multiple sources, Thompson and the Warriors have already engaged in discussions regarding a contract extension.

Thompson is already under contract next season at $18,988,725.

The largest extension he could sign, starting July 1 through the following June 30, would be worth $102,083,386 over five years ($25,520,846 annually). He could earn far more if he makes an All-NBA team this season, but with James Harden, Damian Lillard, Jimmy Butler, Russell Westbrook, Chris Paul, Victor Oladipo, Stephen Curry and DeMar DeRozan at guard, that’s highly unlikely.

If Thompson let his current contract expire then re-signs with Golden State in 2019 free agency, his max projects to be about $188 million over five years (about $38 million annually). That’s about $86 million more overall and $12 million more annually than an extension this offseason.

By signing an extension this summer, he’d also forfeit the chance to earn a super-max contract as a 2019 free agent. That projects to be worth about $219 million over five years (about $44 million annually) – about $117 million more overall and $18 million more annually than an extension this offseason.

For what it’s worth, Thompson’s max with another team in 2019 free agency projects to be about $139 million over four years (about $35 million annually). So, he definitely has the leverage to get far more from Golden State than an extension this summer would allow.

Thompson signing an extension now would be a major gift to Warriors owners Joe Lacob and Peter Guber, following Durant taking his own discount last summer. Why would Thompson (and Durant, at least his salary reduction below his Non-Bird amount) so willingly grant this favor to these billionaires?

Golden State has Bird Rights for all its stars. It’d be costly to keep those four together, especially considering the luxury tax, but no Collective Bargaining Agreement rule will break up this team. Thompson could put the burden on ownership to pay up. His talent gives him leverage.

And Lacob and Guber might have the means. The Warriors’ revenue is through the roof, and they’re moving into a sparkling new arena in San Francisco.

But not only did the Warriors build a team of great players, they apparently found the great players willing to make major financial sacrifices. That’ll only infuriate the rest of the league even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #179
Just chill and enjoy

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Kyle Lowry on the decision to dismiss to Casey:
Quote:
“They made a decision -- and for me, as a leader in the organization -- it’s my job to support the decision that (President) Masai (Ujiri) and GM Bobby (Webster) made.”

Old 05-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #180
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
If the Budenholzer thing becomes reality i'm taking a sabbatical from this team for a while. My hopes are completely pinned on Stackhouse. It makes too much sense.
No love for Assistant Coach Drake?
Spoiler

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 05-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #181
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Whoever is the coach next season, if there isn't any different results in the playoffs, then all the guys with expiring deals should be traded. Sure they do have big contracts, but I'm sure it'd be much easier to deal those guys with 1 year remaining on their contract.

Turn that 3 year window into a 2 year window + 1 year rebuild if needed.
Masai's plan
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #182

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
No love for Assistant Coach Drake?

That's future head coach Drake to you

Old 05-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #183
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
This makes no sense at all.

You’d rather bypass the guy who’s proven he can actually coach and develop talent with an actual system because of “Well, he coached the Hawks and they have a history of being mediocre so I’ll pass”? And go with the Assistant who for all we know is a Casey Clone because...?

Except he isn't, he embraced the more current style of basketball and has been credited with the growth of some of the younger players on the current Raptors roster. He's a younger guy with fresher ideas. I think he'd be just fine.

Budenholzer just seems to be a boring coach who may have a system but I honestly don't think his style fits in Toronto.

BTW as for Lowry, I think he may be on his way out so that "leader" comment is going to look bad. If anything DeRozan is probably more the leader of the two. Hell, Van Vleet is more of a leader than Lowry in some respects!

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 05-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #184

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Except he isn't, he embraced the more current style of basketball and has been credited with the growth of some of the younger players on the current Raptors roster. He's a younger guy with fresher ideas. I think he'd be just fine.

Budenholzer just seems to be a boring coach who may have a system but I honestly don't think his style fits in Toronto.

BTW as for Lowry, I think he may be on his way out so that "leader" comment is going to look bad. If anything DeRozan is probably more the leader of the two. Hell, Van Vleet is more of a leader than Lowry in some respects!
Lowry should be one of the guys to go, but how can they trade him? Unless there's a team out there that's willing to trade for him without Raptors having to take back cap dump, I don't see Lowry being dealt. Perfect scenario would be not taking back any cap dumps, and getting a top pick out of it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »