Home

2018 Off-Season Thread

This is a discussion on 2018 Off-Season Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
OS Roundtable: How Long Do Sports Games Last for You?
Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal
Need For Speed Heat Review

Old 05-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #185
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: 2017-2018 Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Lowry should be one of the guys to go, but how can they trade him? Unless there's a team out there that's willing to trade for him without Raptors having to take back cap dump, I don't see Lowry being dealt. Perfect scenario would be not taking back any cap dumps, and getting a top pick out of it.
I've heard Colangelo still has mad love for Lowry. There were even some rumors when he first took the Philly job that he was angling to acquire him. Not sure if that's still something that can be put on the table right now though.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #186
All Star

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I don't know yet if I agree with firing Casey. I have to see what kind of changes to the roster they make in the offseason.

I think you can make a good argument for both sides though. One could argue that firing the coach plus making large changes to the roster could be too much change at once, but one could make an equally compelling argument that leveraging current assets for a fresh start is the better move long term.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #187

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I've heard Colangelo still has mad love for Lowry. There were even some rumors when he first took the Philly job that he was angling to acquire him. Not sure if that's still something that can be put on the table right now though.
If Philly was good when Lowry was a FA, I'm sure he would've thought of going there. If Lowry was a FA even this offseason, I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to go to Philly.

Lowry from Philly and the GM who acquired him in Toronto is in charge there too, just seems like it would work. Give up that Lakers pick!
Old 05-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #188
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Kyle Lowry is 32. He's owed 31 million in 2018/19 and 33.3 million in 2019/20. He pees his shorts in the playoffs every year. I'm only a casual NBA fan, but that doesn't sound like much of a valuable trade asset to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 05-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #189
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Except he isn't, he embraced the more current style of basketball and has been credited with the growth of some of the younger players on the current Raptors roster. He's a younger guy with fresher ideas. I think he'd be just fine.

Budenholzer just seems to be a boring coach who may have a system but I honestly don't think his style fits in Toronto.

What style? Y’all were just an ISO Ball reliant team a year ago and then finally decided to adapt with the rest of the league, which is what Bud did in Atlanta(Pace and Space, relying on multiple off ball actions and emphasis on 3 ball). Not sure what being “boring” has to do with being a good coach but ok.

I just know from past experience that when teams promote the Assistant to become HC, 9 times out of 10, they usually aren’t much different than their predecessor.

But this all depends on what they want to do going forward because if they want to hit that reset button(again)then it makes sense to go with younger, unproven option. And if they want to keep going with this current roster and add pieces while thinking they’re still almost there(spoiler alert: they’re not)then it makes sense to go with proven retread and shoot your shot against Lebron again.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #190
binging

SPTO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
What style? Y’all were just an ISO Ball reliant team a year ago and then finally decided to adapt with the rest of the league, which is what Bud did in Atlanta(Pace and Space, relying on multiple off ball actions and emphasis on 3 ball). Not sure what being “boring” has to do with being a good coach but ok.
The Raptors 905 squad played the more current pace and space type of basketball being employed by the league today. They were doing it even in the last year of the Raps being an ISO team. Stackhouse was clearly in charge of the identity of that team and won a championship with them a couple years ago and made the Finals this year. He was only an assistant with the Toronto Raptors for a year and wasn't really involved in the gameplanning.

So he isn't an assistant in the same vein you're talking about.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 05-11-2018, 06:03 PM   #191
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Hawks Coaching News

Quote:
The Hawks reportedly narrowed their coaching search to four assistants – the 76ers’ Lloyd Pierce, Trail Blazers’ Nate Tibbetts, Hornets’ Stephen Silas and Celtics’ Jay Larranaga.

Now, it appears Atlanta is closing in on one.

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN:

Philadelphia 76ers assistant Lloyd Pierce met with Atlanta Hawks officials for a third time on Friday, emerging as the primary focus of the franchise’s head-coaching search, league sources told ESPN.

A formal offer is expected as soon as today, league sources said.

Pierce is experienced in player development, especially with the 76ers tanking the previous few years. The Hawks, as they just get started rebuilding, will need plenty of that.

Atlanta has John Collins, Taurean Prince, three first-round picks in the upcoming draft (the fourth slot in the lottery, No. 19 and No. 30), all its own future first-rounders and an extra top-10-protected selection from the Cavaliers. It’s a decent start, but the Hawks must draft well then groom that young talent.

They’re apparently counting on Pierce for the latter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #192
binging

SPTO's Arena

It was to be expected that Philly assistants would get poached.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »