Home

NBA Draft 2019

This is a discussion on NBA Draft 2019 within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #97
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA Draft 2019

Everyone sleeping on Ja Morant

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-13-2019, 05:19 PM   #98
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans4lyfe
On one hand I believe Zion is being overhyped. Then, I see his stats and advanced metrics (I mean, he has a PER of 43.1, win share per 40 of .398 and a BPM of 21.6!!!!) and I'm like the hype is deserve.

It's hard not to overhype something we've literally never seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
I don’t think Zion is over hyped, but he does come with more questions at the NBA level then RJ does.
I think these go in hand a bit with my thought process on my last post. It's hard to say he's over-hyped when he's basically one of a kind, but does that translate as well to the next level to deserve the NBA-hype was more so my question. I look at it in one way as he's completely NBA ready body wise, and his size/athletic combination is damn near one in a lifetime. In that regard, there hasn't really been anything like him. But in actuality there has, he's just heavier than those who have been like him. Meaning my question would be without the same "man vs boy" type of advantage he has now, especially in his situation with Duke, does he have this same immediate impact at the next level?

His advanced stats are through the roof, but it's kinda expected given how efficient he is. He's almost sort of breaking the metric which really muddies up how you should interpret it. In reality he's only making 7.9 shots a game though, so propping him up as some sort of offensive juggernaut seems a little pre-mature. All of those per 100 possession stats are factoring in that he would hold this same rate of efficiency if he were playing massive minutes on a replacement level team. Meaning if he went to a worse situation team wise and was playing 35 minutes a night instead of his 25 minutes a night, and teams could gear up on him and double him where they can't really at Duke, that he would still shoot 70% and score at a rate of 40pp100. I don't really see that as being a likely scenario, not just for him but for any player in that circumstance.

I look at a lot of those similarly to how I look at Clint Capela. Would his offensive rating numbers be through the roof like they are somewhere he had to do something other than run to the rim and get open dunks from others drawing attention? Likely not. And Zion could likely hit the league and do this as well, score incredibly efficiently on 7-8 shots a night and flirt with 20 & 10 territory, and dominate those same advanced stats. But that still wouldn't equate him to being some all-time great level player that you run your offense through and build a franchise around.. That's where I have question marks that fall a bit outside of the stats/highlights in comparison to the "hype".

Outside of all that I think there are also question marks on what position he plays, what position he defends, if he can stretch the floor, if he can defend those who stretch the floor.. I think possibly the biggest bright spot for him, outside of his athletic ability obviously, is that his play likely lets those around him thrive because he doesn't need lot's of possessions to maximize his strengths. For teams like Phoenix who has Booker, Ayton this might be good (although they have an entire roster full of guys at his position), or a team like NY with Porzingis coming back, and Knox showing he can be a big scoring piece as well.. For teams like Atlanta or Cleveland who need that "come save us" type of player, I would have big question marks on him being the right fit.

I look at Draymond a bit in terms of his value as that "glue guy" and I think Zion can be that. Not comparing them directly, because his upside is much higher, a better athlete with higher scoring potential, yet no indication that he will have Dray's defensive or play-making instincts. But similar in a sense of with others around him to shoulder some scoring and the "running" of the offense he might be a perfect fit and flourish in his strengths.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #99
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

He's overrated by some, maybe. I've never felt he's a lock to be a generational player but I still maintain that I'm taking him first overall by a long shot, as with Doncic last year (we had plenty of fun debates about that). I think he'll be a perennial all-star.

Assuming a reasonable rate of skill development, there's no answer for someone like him in the NBA. Smallball, versatility, a two-way player, strength and athleticism, has a better BBIQ than anyone realized coming into the season, I think he has a higher ceiling as a playmaker than most do, has a good motor, and doesn't appear to be a diva. Sign me up.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 01-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #100
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
He's overrated by some, maybe. I've never felt he's a lock to be a generational player but I still maintain that I'm taking him first overall by a long shot, as with Doncic last year (we had plenty of fun debates about that). I think he'll be a perennial all-star.

Assuming a reasonable rate of skill development, there's no answer for someone like him in the NBA. Smallball, versatility, a two-way player, strength and athleticism, has a better BBIQ than anyone realized coming into the season, I think he has a higher ceiling as a playmaker than most do, has a good motor, and doesn't appear to be a diva. Sign me up.
I totally agree here. Sign me up. And I'm starting to hurt this thing about him getting hurt. Let him get hurt first. Then complain. You can't give him the injury bug before he's ever been injured lol.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #101
MVP

d11king's Arena

OVR: 13

This may be a bit taboo but am I the only one who thinks the draft lottery is rigged to a certain degree?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #102
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh

I think for me, I don't see him as all that versatile, or as a two-way player, and I absolutely don't want him to have much play making responsibility. His defense is mostly gambling for steals and blocks, and he's decent at making the obvious pass but that's about all and is just as likely to turn the ball over as he is make a play for someone else. It's just really difficult to judge his offense when so much of what he does is when he is coming down hill.

Not saying I don't think he can't be a great player or shouldn't go first, but I'm still not sold on his athletic ability being an instant translation to the league. We've saw too many guys struggle when so much of what made them good at the lower level was just being more athletic than everyone else.. It also hurts him a tad that he came in at that 6'5-6'6 height range instead the 6'8 or whatever people thought he was... On top of the fact that most NBA players are likely substantially heavier than their listed weights anyways, I don't know that he's coming into the league just over-powering everyone.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #103
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazGlenn23
Everyone sleeping on Ja Morant

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I've seen him in the top 3 on two or three mock drafts now.. I wouldn't call that being slept on.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #104
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by d11king
This may be a bit taboo but am I the only one who thinks the draft lottery is rigged to a certain degree?
How so? Because Patrick came to the Knicks. Or James went to Cleveland. Unless you have prove. You can't call it that lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »