Home

NBA Draft 2019

This is a discussion on NBA Draft 2019 within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2019, 10:14 PM   #1097
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: NBA Draft 2019

Y'all boys know much about this Talen Horton Tucker?

From what I've seen online, he looks pretty good. And im not just saying that because of homerism.

He reminds me of Metta World Peace. Not particularly quick. But stocky-strong. He's better at creating shots for himself though. But that's expected being a guard.

He also looks to be a really creative finisher around the rim. I've only seen "highlights" so I obviously don't have a complete view on him. But he is hitting TOUGH shots when attacking the rim which was what impressed me the most and has me thinking he could end up being a steal. You don't see guys creative/skilled enough to hit a lot these layins I've seen him hit.

It probably helps that he has a ridiculous wingspan and huge Kawhi like hands. Dude could actually end up being really solid. And he's only 18. Turns 19 in November.

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Old 06-22-2019, 10:40 PM   #1098
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic

From what I've seen online, he looks pretty good. And im not just saying that because of homerism.

He reminds me of Metta World Peace. Not particularly quick. But stocky-strong. He's better at creating shots for himself though. But that's expected being a guard.

He also looks to be a really creative finisher around the rim. I've only seen "highlights" so I obviously don't have a complete view on him. But he is hitting TOUGH shots when attacking the rim which was what impressed me the most and has me thinking he could end up being a steal. You don't see guys creative/skilled enough to hit a lot these layins I've seen him hit.

It probably helps that he has a ridiculous wingspan and huge Kawhi like hands. Dude could actually end up being really solid. And he's only 18. Turns 19 in November.

Lakers spent almost half their cash considerations on him, and sent out a 2nd round pick.. so they obviously think it’s a steal. We’ll see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #1099
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic

Maybe he'll pop early, but he most likely will not really be ready to contribute until LeBron is gone. Also, since the Lakers will be in full on win now mode for the next 2-3 of years, it's hard to see him getting any meaningful minutes during that time. In addition, we've seen the last few years, developing players to their potential is not the Lakers strong suit.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:16 PM   #1100
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Maybe he'll pop early, but he most likely will not really be ready to contribute until LeBron is gone. Also, since the Lakers will be in full on win now mode for the next 2-3 of years, it's hard to see him getting any meaningful minutes during that time. In addition, we've seen the last few years, developing players to their potential is not the Lakers strong suit.
Very true.

I actually really hope they hang on to the kid. Call me crazy, but I've watched some more of what I can find, but I think he has a high ceiling. His game reminds me a LOT of Brandon Roy.

Again, he's 18. Roy came into the league at 22. If the Lakers can exercise some patience and really mold his game, I think they can have a very solid player on there hands with potential for more.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:47 PM   #1101
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I know they are planning on trying to allow players to go to draft out of HS again by the 2022 draft, honestly I'm not for it. I'm on the side where I believe the draft age should raised up. I just feel that majority of these 18-19 year old players aren't ready for the league. Some star players are ready for the league fresh out of HS or after 1st year of college and you'll see some who come out of nowhere, but those are the outliers. The majority of players aren't ready and it takes them a few years to develop their game and their bodies. A lot these superstar or star players in the league now Didn't come out the gate swinging. It took them several years to develop into a star player. Guys like Kawhi, PG, Jimmy Butler, Dirk, Oladipo, Westbrook, Giannis, list goes on of guys that wasn't tearing up the league until 2nd or 3rd year. A lot of these players aren't equipped to handle a 82+ game season and have the IQ at 18 or 17.

It's kind of why I am not that into College Basketball. It is hard to get invested into it because it is hard to get invested into the players. A lot of the top recruits go to the prestigous schools mainly for the exposure and aren't fully committed to the team. They don't really care about the school traditions. They just try to make a name for themselves and pretty much make it known that they are one and done. I am with the suggestion to raise the draft age to 20. I think it could benefit the NCAA and NBA for players to spend another year in college. 33+ games isn't enough for most of these players to develop their game. Spending an extra year in college developing helps both sides. You see the most of these one and done players take another stride in year 2, which would make the NCAA a better product. It'll also show which players that might regress. Which both help NBA weed out who is ready for the league. Even for the prospects that go over seas for college, it'll help them playing an extra year with professionals.

One thing that might help is if they find a way to compensate players with the whole working group thing that is going on. That might help reduce some of the higher prospects that want to go across seas to get paid professionally
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #1102
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I know they are planning on trying to allow players to go to draft out of HS again by the 2022 draft, honestly I'm not for it. I'm on the side where I believe the draft age should raised up. I just feel that majority of these 18-19 year old players aren't ready for the league. Some star players are ready for the league fresh out of HS or after 1st year of college and you'll see some who come out of nowhere, but those are the outliers. The majority of players aren't ready and it takes them a few years to develop their game and their bodies. A lot these superstar or star players in the league now Didn't come out the gate swinging. It took them several years to develop into a star player. Guys like Kawhi, PG, Jimmy Butler, Dirk, Oladipo, Westbrook, Giannis, list goes on of guys that wasn't tearing up the league until 2nd or 3rd year. A lot of these players aren't equipped to handle a 82+ game season and have the IQ at 18 or 17.

It's kind of why I am not that into College Basketball. It is hard to get invested into it because it is hard to get invested into the players. A lot of the top recruits go to the prestigous schools mainly for the exposure and aren't fully committed to the team. They don't really care about the school traditions. They just try to make a name for themselves and pretty much make it known that they are one and done. I am with the suggestion to raise the draft age to 20. I think it could benefit the NCAA and NBA for players to spend another year in college. 33+ games isn't enough for most of these players to develop their game. Spending an extra year in college developing helps both sides. You see the most of these one and done players take another stride in year 2, which would make the NCAA a better product. It'll also show which players that might regress. Which both help NBA weed out who is ready for the league. Even for the prospects that go over seas for college, it'll help them playing an extra year with professionals.

One thing that might help is if they find a way to compensate players with the whole working group thing that is going on. That might help reduce some of the higher prospects that want to go across seas to get paid professionally
See I'm the exact opposite on this argument. I don't think forcing kids to go to college, or go live overseas is fair to them. I've mentioned it before, but the NBA is a job, and it's a job that doesn't require college experience. So to me, it feels as if the current plan just forces kids to go to college who never want to be there. That could be someone else's scholarship money and resources. Someone who wants it.

I think from the GM/coaching side of things, most of them would also prefer that those players spend those first couple of development years training under them. Sure most aren't ready, but they know that when they pick them. But that's an extra year for them to mold that player into the player they want them to be. Those players like Kawhi, Giannis, etc are going to take years to develop regardless. A year or two in college IMO wouldn't change that.

I think ideally the G-League needs a team for every single NBA team. I think we are close now, only 2-3 teams away. And when this whole straight from high-school thing starts maybe they have to spend a year or 2 on the G-League team. Maybe there is an extra round in the draft. Something. But it needs to be developed into a full minor league system.

I have no desire personally to see kids forced to stay in college who don't want to be there. Most of the teams have no pro prospects on them, half the ones that do have one NBA player, a future lawyer, a future accountant, a future car salesman, etc.. All the pro-Doncic talk in last years draft was how much better his competition was than what the college kids were getting. If that's the case why should we try to make moves that only make that situation worse? Funneling them in to a pro-level system like the G-League can become would be much better IMO.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #1103
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

I see both sides.

Leaving finances out of the argument and being a totally selfish fan of basketball, it would be cool to see the kids play two years of college ball instead of having limited minutes or being stashed on the bench or gleague for years until they can contribute.

But taking into account everything else. I dont like the exploitative nature of college sports or the opportunities that get taken from other students who actually want to be in school. If a kid is good enough to be offered a boatload of money at 18, then he shouldn't have to be forced to play for free because of some rule.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:08 AM   #1104
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Anybody notice how much people are complaining about the hat situation??? People will complain about anything I swear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »